Favorite of the two books?

Platysaur

Favorite Stormlight Archive book?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite Stormlight Archive book?

• Way of Kings
    • Words of Radiance

I think most Sharders will choose WoR. That doesn't mean WoK is a bad book, it just did things that wouldn't appeal as much to hardcore fans in order to ensure the Stormlight Archive can build a broader audience by easing them into the series.

Have to say, WoR is the clear favourite to me. Simply for the fact that the different perspectives we were introduced to in WoK become interwoven. Even if some exchanges appear quite cheesy or forced (Adolin and Shallan's date, Shallan and Kaladin's chasm-trek) I really looked forward to watching these characters interact, and with parts like Adolin and Kaladin's arena fight and the procession across the plains, I really enjoyed WoR more than WoK, where every perspective was quite distinct.

I liked WoK more.  Roshar just felt more dangerous in it.  Words of Radiance had too much of the characters not talking to each other driving the plot.

For example, in the prison, all Dalinar had to do was say "Hey Kaladin, I believe you about Amaram.  I'm working on getting hard proof, and can't pursue legal action until I get some" rather than "You need proof for me to believe you".  If he just did that, Moash wouldn't be hooking up with Taravangian right now.

Stuff like that.

Man, I love them both. WoK introduced Roshar and all those lovable characters to me, helping me undergo the worst time of my life. It always has a special place in my heart. But if I have to choose, I think I will go for WoR, since I spent one year and a half translating this monster book, and I appreciated everything in it =) The story began to unfold, more characters appeared, more mysteries surfaced! SA would definitely get better and better.

I have to say WoR too. I liked WoK but there were some parts that I had a tough time getting through and while reading WoR all I could think about was what is going to be on the next page. I think Brandon is unlike most authors in the way he continues to get better with each book. I think he will continue to do so with SA. 

I have to say WoK. The struggle felt more personal to Kaladin and Dalinar, Lirin was there, the conspiracies and hidden powers seemed more distant and unreachable, the spren more mysterious. And I dislike the way Szeth and Renarin were handled in WoR.

EDIT: Not to say I disliked WoR. Shallan and Adolin gained more space and perhaps agency, something they really needed. If only Pattern had stayed creepy and the Stormfather divine...

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

I felt that in terms of construction, WoK was stronger than WoR. Kaladin's flashbacks felt extremely potent, and fit the story perfectly. The final climax was absolutely perfect in almost every way.

I also liked the stronger sense of mystery and somewhat lower stakes in WoK. The powers were mysterious and weak, the danger felt very real all the time, and the world felt like there was more left to discover.

Now, it's inevitable that sequels and continuations will lose some of this magic. The story is necessarily going to broaden, and the arcs are going to become bigger and less concentrated. That's the way of epic fantasy. But WoK is just beautifully constructed and will always be a little bit special to me.

Kaladin's story arc was better in WoK and his flashbacks were more poignant than Shallan's.

However, every other character was better in WoR. I especially like the fact they interacted one with another and, of course, it revealed Adolin as the character we now know. So of course, I am entirely biased towards WoR: more Adolin action.

The climax was more efficient in WoK, but the Dalinar/Adolin/Szeth/Eshonai ending of WoR was well mastered and emotion filled. I was convinced someone would bite the dust. 

WoR also ends with a cliffhanger while WoK can be read as a stand-alone. 

I vote WoK too. There were some amazing parts to WoR, and certain scenes in that book are my favorite in the series, but I really just don't have as much invested in Shallan's backstory and PoV, and so I appreciated more of Kaladin in the first. I also agree with Moogle and Maxal about the polishedness and arcs. 

Words of Radiance, definitely. I love seeing all the characters we've come to know actually interact (...though obviously not realizing anything until the very end, as per every trope of the genre... thank you Kaladin.)

Also, y'know, size definitely matters when it comes to books. I'm firmly into team 'the longer the better'.

• Chaos locked this topic