Sart

Hello from St. Louis. I'm a high-school student, who has recently found Sanderson. I've read most of his works except for the Wheel of Time series (I don't have time to read them) and Steelheart (I'm working on that).

I should probably give you a little bit of information about myself. I've read a lot of YA novels (except Twilight, I refuse to read that), but Brandon Sanderson is one of my first introductions to Adult fantasy. I lurked around Shurtugal for a while, but after the final book came out in the series, it wasn't the same. I browsed Game of Thrones forums for a bit, but I never got involved. I'm really looking forward with interacting and chatting with you guys. 

See you soon,

a smart guy

Welcome to the forums.

Welcome.  We can always use a smart guy around here.  Why, just the other day I was saying to Kurkistan, "What we realy need around here is a smart guy!" :P

Glad to have you with us.

*Does not recall that conversation*  <_<

I've read a lot of YA novels (except Twilight, I refuse to read that)

You should. They are HORRIBLE; do not misunderstand me, but there is a king of... poetic madness to those books. Surprisingly amusing to read if you do t more to study the author's way of writing than actually immersing yourself in the books. For example, she uses the word "scintillating" WAY too often in the first book, and compares Edward's body to that of a Greek god so many times I almost feel bad for her. It is tragically and horribly amusingly bad!

Other than that, welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

Aether, I agree. But from, if I remember correctly, late 2008 to mid 2009, one out of every five books sold in the United States was written by Stephanie Meyer. That woman wrote a handful of teen paranormal romance books that are really at the high end of low quality and now I'll bet she has more money in her checking account than the combined users on this forum do.

Don't even get me started on Harry Potter. The amount of contradictions, inconsistencies, and outright absurdities in those books are staggering. Yet people love them.

Why have people forsaken engaging, thought provoking entertainment in favor of, "Who should I pick to be my boyfriend?!"

Oh, and welcome to the forums a smart guy!

Edit: spelling.

Edited by Alaxel

Oh, I wouldn't recommend buying them. There are, after all, perfectly good pirated e-book versions out there (or you know, libraries 'n' stuff).

And yes, I agree neither Harry Potter nor Twilight (especially not Twilight) are high quality reading, but given the way both have had huge impacts on subsequent writing within their genre, they have unfortunately become almost "a must" to know in order to be culturally á jour and relevant.

And not to be crass, but "who should I pick to be my boyfriend" is actually a perfectly valid plot. Many of the real classics are constructed around this such as Romeo and Juliet and Pride and Prejudice to name but two. But there are better ways of doing it then Twilight, which is simply - quite frankly - horribly written, structured and plotted. Oh, the horror! But, yeah, @a smart guy, Read Twilight!

EDIT: Just to clear up a few points, I enjoyed Harry Potter immensely when I was younger, and I do not want to seem to dismiss it as literature, but admittedly they are not of high quality compared to other writers of the same genre (for example, oh I dunno, Brandon Sanderson and whatnot). I also did not mean to unwittingly lump it in with Twilight. They just happened to both be relevant to approximately the same degree for the point that I was making.

Edited by Aether

• Chaos locked this topic