Spoilers - The Relationships

Sirscott13

Yes I see a possible future for Wayne with the inventor's daughter. OR is he just feeling that he can live vicariously through her because someone killed her daddy?

I think it's the latter. Wayne is still anguished about not being able to make amends for the murder he committed as a teenager. While in a sense I think it's a subconscious desire for forgiveness (even though he might say he doesn't deserve to be forgiven), I think it's also a straight desire to want to support the family and make them happy. Something he feels he hasn't been able to do, which is what makes it so painful for him to go to the daughter at the university. So I can easily see why Wayne might latch onto a stranger into a similar situation, and vicariously live off being able to make them happier.

I think Wayne has too much of a paternal/big brother instinct to girls in this kind of situation to ever consider a relationship though.

I think it could definitely go either way, but his initial motivations are clearly related to that earlier character beat he had with a young woman whose father he had killed, and he saw this as his chance to actually make a difference for someone similar who had also been wronged. We'll see in Bands!

TenSoon and MeLaan's relationship is also more father/daughter than romantic, I believe. That's probably only furthered by the fact that TenSoon is practically a demigod among demigods, now.

I see the relationship between Wax and Steris as being a more realistic portrayal of arranged marriage on Brandon's part. It's actually true a surprising amount of the time (at least in cultures without extreme sexism) that once people have committed to each other, they grow to get along very well. To quote Fiddler on the Roof, "If that's not love, what is?" 

TenSoon and MeLaan's relationship is also more father/daughter than romantic, I believe. That's probably only furthered by the fact that TenSoon is practically a demigod among demigods, now.

I see the relationship between Wax and Steris as being a more realistic portrayal of arranged marriage on Brandon's part. It's actually true a surprising amount of the time (at least in cultures without extreme sexism) that once people have committed to each other, they grow to get along very well. To quote Fiddler on the Roof, "If that's not love, what is?"

Resignation, acceptance and accommodation to a forced outcome? Like how people can be happy and content after discovering they have a serious illness. As another option to love, not claiming it is always that, but Stockholm syndrome could also be described as getting along fairly well (for another example). So in answer; it's not love it either acceptance at one end or stockholm syndrome at the other. And very rarely it's actual love, but given that is so rare in the historical record as to actually be noteworthy, I'd say the other options are more likely.

Given that having an arranged marriage turn out happily is far from the most fantastic thing that happens in the series however, not going to loose sleep over it.

Edited by ArchonTremaine

• 2 months later...

Ever since the end of AoL, I found her character far more empathetic (probably not even the right word, but likeable anyhow). I agree with those saying the partnership is strong. I don't know about romance, but whatever it is I find myself far more intrigued and supportive of the budding partnership than of the potential relationship Marasi and Wax could have had. Others have pointed out similar feelings, and I do find it interesting that their chemistry is strangely... lacking. Marasi still gets excited around Wax, as is natural, but beyond that its hard to see much. Too caught up in events? 

I thought Wayne's reaction to Steris to be fine and quite clever narratively, as we're so used to seeing Wayne's good side we've never seen him reject someone that we like. However, I will need to think more on it as the "hello, crazy" "hello, idiot" made me think that if they weren't fond of each other, they had mutual respect. 

I have wanted to ship Wayne and Marasi since AoL. I knew she would have no chance with Wax, so I went with Wayne. A Pulser and a Slider. Anyone?

Hmm.  Not unless Marasi starts punching people.  :lol:

I think we're a lot more likely to see something develop between Wayne and MeLaan.  Which would sort of make sense, in a really weird sort of way.  They have chemistry, so long they can get past that whole 400-year age gap thing...

When Wayne walked away from Steris at the party, I felt like someone should have picked him up, and sat him back down next to her.  Especially after how she was actually entertaining wax at that party, and even got him to laugh at a couple of her jokes.  Clearly, there was something between them.  Though, since Wayne lives with Wax, he might have seen how Steris comforted him at the end there.

I just hope, he warms up to her a little.

I also hope Steris doesn't disappear for 2/3 of the next book.  She may not be able to handle a gun, but she might be more usefull in the higher echelons, then not.  Finding out information, helping wax to navigate around social obstacles with the wealthy and well to do crowds, ect.

I got the impression that MeLann and Wayne were instant best friends, but that was all they were going to be.  Unless he figures out where Ranette's interests are, I don't think he'll stop having feelings for her.  But I could see him and Merisee having a potential future together, if she grows up, and he manages to level out a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

OFFICIALLY LOVE Steris. She really grew on me! 

Which is surprising but not unwelcome. The first reread i had to reread her scenes because i kept liking her more and more.

I loved the end scene she had with Wax. I don't really like Marassi x Wax that much... it's starting to feel a bit like Egwene and Randish..

Also i like Wayne but it quite annoyed me when he was disrespectful to Steris..

It just seemed a little uncalled for..

Edited by WEZ313

I know he is being defensive and I always expected him to be a little stand offish but calling her "crazy", "repulsive" and making zero effort to even try to get to know her just nettles me a little.

Geek Social Fallacy in relation to fictional character:  we have an inherent desire to see our favorite characters get along with each other.  After all, we can see how awesome they are, why can't they?  But there are a multitude of reasons why this is, in fact, very much in character for Wayne.

1)  Wayne and Steris are very much on the opposite extremes of the Order and Chaos continuum.  Wayne confuses and frustrates Steris, and in turn he finds her way of dealing with the world to be anathema to his view of it.

2)  Wayne was really rooting for the Wax/Marasi ship.

3)  Deep down, he's also afraid of how Wax marrying Steris is going to affect his friendship with Wax.  Lessie was great; she just went on their adventure with them.  Marasi, he could see her doing that, too.  But he views Steris as an avatar for the kind of life that could make men "die of boredom" and he really hasn't seen the more adventurous side of her. 

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing how her involvement in Bands of Mourning breaks his perceptions of her.  (Oo, look!  Potential for character growth!)

Hahaha!!

You guys are right, I know I'm im projecting but it just hits me so hard because I could have never said something like that. It just took me by surprise. I liked Wayne but it was just a bit of a shock is all. Thanks for the perspective.

Well I'd say 100% order on the surface, we got our first glimpse that she likes a little danger in AOL and a bit more in SOS... Well more than a little ;)

I hope she gets more screen time and doesn't just vanish for 2/3 of the book I like the character progress she has made.

Given that I'm almost positive that's her on the cover (trying not to read any preview chapters) I think there's a pretty good chance she's going to be a much more prominent character in the next book. I hope so too because I liked her in SoS. She's like the living embodiment of genre saviness. Something is going to happen at our wedding so I'll plan for it. We're going to get held up in traffic so of course Wax will cheat and get us there with Steelpushing. It was all rather glorious.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished this book today. Really liked the pace of the book. Just a couple of points about the relationships

1. I really really wanted Marasi and Wax to settle their issues. Marasi admires and possible even idolizes Wax though this does change a bit later in the books, while wax seemed to be having a tough time treating Marasi in an equal manner. I really wanted this conflict resolution to further their character arcs. This is why I did not at all like Harmony telling Wax to treat Marasi better. I felt I would have liked it better if we had been able to see them work things out for themselves

2. I loved Steris in this book. She was very dynamic and showed Wax the advantage of her social, political and planning skills. However its a real pity that she vanished with about 60% of the book still to go. 

• Chaos locked this topic