Spren Bonding

Argent

I'd like to throw in that Nohadon only said that "not all spren are as discerning as honorspren" (paraphrased) and in addition this older information: 

Question

A question related to that. There’s an idea going around that all the spren that can Nahel Bond, all Knight Radiant spren are called honorspren, and then Nohadon talks specifically about honorspren. Is that the case? You know, is it just the Windrunner spren, or is it all the spren?
Brandon Sanderson

I’m going to deal with this in the next book. So I’ll just go ahead and let it be a literal RAFO. It is coming.

(interruption, leading Brandon to lose his train of thought)

So what we are dealing with here is that all Spren are indeed all pieces of the one who has gone, so those spren are all- except the Windrunner spren, the spren like Syl, have certain umm.
ZAS

Nohadon mentioned that "All the spren aren’t as discerning as honorspren."
BRANDON SANDERSON

So there has been dissension among them about who gets to call themselves honorspren, if that makes sense, and there is some disagreement among scholars about which ones are really, you know "This is what defines an honorspren".

But the spren you are running into are all (something) of either Honor or Cultivation, or some mixture between them. And you can usually tell the ones that are more Honor, and the ones that are more Cultivation. That should be able to be (something).

source 

I'd like to point out that emphasized part. 

I'm really curious to learn more about spren, bonding, the Nahel bond, The Ring and all this things :)

One counter argument to the idea that honorspren are lacking in intellect because of the splintering of Honor is when Wyndle talks about spren visiting his "mind" gardens.

"A wonderful gardener! Cryptics and honorspen alike came to see the crystals I grew from the minds of your world. Now this. What have I become?”

Admiring art, in this case a mind garden, seems to show pretty high cognitive functions for the honorspren.

My pet theory is that Syl was somehow severed during the Recreance and was trapped in this realm, thus she lost a lot of her cognitive function.

Edit. On a side note, I think in our theorycrafting we put too much stock into the splintering of Honor. Myself included. The intent of Honor is still present and is still powerful, there is just no godlike figure making up schemes. And even that is questionable, as Preservation shows that through the magic of future sight and other time spanning powers even a pretty much dead god can have schemes come to fruition.

Edited by dionysus

1) Wyndle talks that The Ring has done something to protect his memories when coming to the physical realm.

This was either not the case for Syl - so she lost her memories in the transition - or she has been stuck here with memory lost from the recreance.

2) From all the tidbits, it looks like there are spren from Honor (like Syl), spren from Cultivation (probably like Wyndle), spren from Adonalsium (per WoB) - we don't know if they can bond, but probably they do (my theory is that they are the cryptics), and mixed spren ("there has been dissension among them about who gets to call themselves honorspren" I take it as there are multiple types of spren calling themselves honospren, not just Syl-like spren). However, I think it's certain that Syl (and Windrunners spren in general) are 100% Honor, and "most discerning" of all spren - probably because they are attracted to the "protecting/leading" combo attributes, and it's hard to be a protective evil leader :)

I'm curious to see the quote for that.

Here you go.

Source:

Wetlander: Please explain what you will about shards and splintering and slivers.

Brandon: An event happened long ago which destroyed something called Adonalsium into 16 pieces.  And 16 people took up that power.

Q: People?

A: I call all intelligent species people.   If someone takes up the power and lets go of it, it has the effect much like a balloon that’s been stretched and then the air is let out.  I call that a sliver; based off of TLR calling himself the Sliver of Infinity.  TLR is someone who held the power and then released it.  And so, current slivers are TLR, Kelsier, and there may be others around who at one point held the power and let go of it.  A splinter is a term used by certain people in the cosmere for power of Adonalsium which has no person caring for it, no…no person holding it, which has attained self-awareness.

Wetlander: So is that like the mists and the Well?  Are they…

A: They are not, because they have not attained self-awareness.  But, the Seons are self-aware.  So, any piece, for instance there were some spren on Roshar before Honor and Cultivation got there.  Those were already splinters of Adonalsium where he had left power which attained sentience on its own.  So, it can be intentional is what I am saying, does that make sense?  You have seen other splinters.

Wetlander: Are the highstorms related to the splintering of Honor? (Brandon spoke over the word Honor in starting his response)

A: The highstorms are more related to the mist from Mistborn which terminology we have not discussed yet. (also affirmed the well as being similar).  You have seen splinters quite a bit on various planets.

Thank you that could imply Spren made by Adonalsium. It would Be interesting if the mother wyndle refers to was a splinter of Adonalsium that helped guide or even created other spren.

Edit note: changed sliver to splinter. thanks Shardlet.

Edited by Arook

Thank you that could imply Spren made by Adonalsium. It would Be interesting if the mother wyndle refers to was a Sliver of Adonalsium that helped guide or even created other spren.

Sliver of Adonalsium? As in someone that had the power of Adonalsium before it was shattered, and then let it go?

Because I'm pretty sure the holder of Adonalsium died when it was splintered into the 16 shards.

• 3 weeks later...

I see that there is some discussion about the fact that Shallan see many sprens.

When I' readed the book I notice that the very first time that Shallan drawed a cryptic was when she drawed Taravagian picture. The spren was behind him. We know that cryptics bond when true(secret) are told, and we know that Taravagian are one of the character that was more "trues"(secrets) so maybe the fact that Shallan see so many crypitcs could be because the cryptics are attracted to Taravagian(and other persons) because of the secrets he/they hid.

If he don't have a "broken soul"(snapped or something) he can't see or bond with the spren, but spren are attract for their given atribute, like honor, or fire etc, and in this case by his "trues" so he could attract the spren even without see them and Shallan only see many sprens because they are there for the secrets being keeped in the local.

We don't know that Shallan sees, or can draw, all spren which are hidden. We know Rock probably can see them, but not Shallan. Shallan drew cryptics in her pictures, but those cryptics may have been reaching out to her. It should be pointed out that this was a new thing for Shallan, she freaked out when it started happening, but her ability with art was something she took for granted. I don't think Taravangian was significant. I believe that the cryptics would have shown themselves to Shallan regardless, her drawing of the cryptic in Taravangians picture was a matter of convenience and opportunity for the cryptics. I believe the truths they were seeking were the truths that Shallan held, not those of Taravangian.

• Chaos locked this topic