Story Impressions

Kurkistan

Okay, now that you've seen the Theoretical version of this post, you may now gush about less Realmatic happy things.

Like how the line "Lift pressed her hand against the seeds, then summoned her awesomeness" was so hilarious and unexpected. :D

The line about Lift's ultimate goal in life being to eat other people's dinners was a close second. :)

EDIT: To be clear, this is open for all works in the Steelhunt, not just Lift's interlude.

Edited by Kurkistan

This is a liveblog type thing I did for Featherwriter and Havoc as I read Lift's interlude.

Here's my notes/liveblog type thing I did as I read Lift's interlude. I got the idea from the Megan on tumblr you said you tried to convince of Shallarin. She did the same type think for WoK.

-Starvin', starvin', starvin'

-Breast domes hahaha

-Cussing in three languages? That's downright scholarly.

-The Ring???? The Ring chooses who to pair spren with?

-Wyndle

-Summoning awesomeness? I think I have a new favorite interlude character.

-Magic spit.

-Essay writing to apply for emperor. Best succession tradition I've seen.

-What?! You can watch the Prime sleep? That is so weird!

-She'd snuck in. And ate their dinners. Lift is awesome!

-"Why bother?"

"Someone has to care." Yes Lift! Yes!

-"I'm so storming pure, I belch rainbows." hahahaha

-Wait, is Cultivation/Nightwatcher Wyndle's mother?

-What is Lift? She exists partly in the Cognitive realm?

-Was Cultivation in love with Honor?

-Szeth is very efficient.

-and there's Shalash what's her problem anyway?

-What is this Stormlight-sucking animal?

-Yeah! Go Lift!!!

-how in the world can she metabolize food straight to stormlight???

-No! Dang it, Lift! You killed Gawx

-Come on, let her use Regrowth

-Again,"[ I care ]because someone has to." I love the depth this gives her.

-I will remember those who have been forgotten. Is that the second oath for Edgedancers

I had to stop reading and show my wife this bit (she's a 2nd grade teacher)

“I ain’t twelve,” Lift snapped, looming over them.

They turned up toward her.

“I ain’t,” she said. “Twelve’s an unlucky number.” She held up her hands. “I’m only this many.”

“. . . ten?” Tigzikk asked.

“Is that how many that is? Sure, then. Ten.” She lowered her hands. “If I can’t count it on my fingers, it’s unlucky.” And she’d been that many for three years now. So there.

I think that was one of my favorite parts

Sorry, that's just what I was thinking. She didn't actually appear but there was a mention of a portrait of all the Heralds in a line with one having her face scratched out and Lift wondering why someone would do that to such a nice picture.

yep, gotta be Shalash in that one.

Does this post mean lift's interlude specifically, or steelhunt responses in general.

Because if it is in general, than the Bloody Tan appearance in Shadows of Self just about made me jump up and down in laughter.

(Hmm... Reading that line again makes me feel a little like a sadist. Oh well.) But- evil kandra!

After reading about Darkness, I started that thinking that a battle between him and Kaladin would be awesome, because you know he is coming for him. I would love to see a team up between Szeth and Kaladin to take Darkness on. If Darkness is who we think he is, it will be epic!

If Darkness is Nalan, then I don't see Kaladin standing a chance, even with Szeth by his side. Both of them are exceptionally good fighters, but Nalan has literally had thousands of years of perfect his skill. Not to mention the tricks he should be able to do with Stormlight.

The only thing Kaladin would have going for him is that Nalan wouldn't have his Honorblade when they fought.  I'd wager that all of Nalan's experience fighting dangerous enemies and knowledgeable surgebinders occured when he had his Honorblade and the power that came with it.   What he's doing now is the equivalent of hunting down Spartan infants before they become powerful warriors.  Still, I think he'd mop the floor with poor Kaladin.

Hopefully Taln shows up and smacks some sense into Nalan.

He does have a Shardblade, and Kaladin does not.  I would be interested to see a Szeth vs Nalan fight.  Both have shardblades, no plate, can invest, and have extensive combat experience.   They probably get their surgebinding powers from the same source too :)

If Darkness is Nalan, why shouldn't he wield his Honorblade? The Heralds themselves know where they left their Honorblades and -- feeling the advent of a Desolation (oh, not "a" Desolation, the True Desolation, the Everstorm) -- they (or some of them) might have felt the need (to try) to avert the world's ending.

Lift is a really fun character to read - and to write, I bet. I too hope we see more of her, but I doubt it. I tried to explain why I feel that way and ended up deleting my paragraph three times. She is awesome but doesn't serve the role Szeth and Rysn do.