Location of Urithiru

Landis963

The Coppermind says it's to the west of Alethela, which rules out 1/3 of the continent. WoB on how it could withstand an Everstorm says that it's on the east side of the mountain. There's no word on what is visible from the tower where Dalinar talked to the Stormfather, or what one can see through the window in the room at the end. However, I still think we can tell where it is. The most obvious candidate, the Horneater Peaks, are ineligible because their eastern side is within Alethela territory. That leaves the Misted Mountains, the mountain range dividing the Purelake region from Azir, the peaks in Thaylenah, and the Irish and Rirish peaks.

Szeth's flight was from the Shattered Plains to wherever Urithiru was (And he knew where it was, because he'd used the spot to meditate before). Szeth thinks he was rezzed in the Frostlands, which would put his trajectory almost due west of the Plains, but we don't know if he's right. If he is, that rules out the Iri and Rira ranges, and possibly the Misted Mountains as well.

Nalan, Szeth's savior, was last seen in Azir, menacing Lift. His and Szeth's conversation after Szeth's rebirth is held on an "empty rock expanse" which is literally everywhere outside of Shinovar, and thus spectacularly useless for the purposes of deducing Urithiru's location.

Given this evidence, I suspect that Urithiru is in the mountain range marked as "The Valley," just west of Tu Fallia, but I admit the case is far from conclusive.

Edit: Except of course for the fact that I misposted which direction Szeth ran in. It's fixed now.

Edited by Landis963

That's roughly where the scholars in-world have placed it:

Shallan stepped up to one edge of the stone field. A sheer drop. If Nohadon really had walked to this city, as The Way of Kings claimed, then his path would have included scaling cliff faces. So far, they had found no way down other than through the Oathgates—and even if there were such a way, one would still be stranded in the middle of the mountains, weeks from civilization. Judging from the sun height, the scholars placed them near the center of Roshar, somewhere in the mountains near Tu Bayla or maybe Emul.

Though I will note that "The Valley" is not the name of that mountain range, as that note is referring to the valley where the Nightwatcher resides.

Interesting if you are right, since "The Valley" is the only description given for the location of The Nightwatcher. Given how many people seek her out, you'd think that someone would have stumbled upon Urithiru by now by accident if they are in the same mountain range. 

It's up at the top of sheer, unclimbable cliffs, hidden up at the top of the mountain range.  I'm a little surprised no one has seen the tower, maybe, but definitely not surprised no one's managed to get to it.

jW

It's up at the top of sheer, unclimbable cliffs, hidden up at the top of the mountain range.  I'm a little surprised no one has seen the tower, maybe, but definitely not surprised no one's managed to get to it.

jW

It is odd that it's never been spotted (and thus it's location known). Could it be hidden from below somehow? Perhaps using some kind of lightweaving fabrial?

I could've sworn it's past the cloud layer, but not sure.

Might also have something to do with the middle of the Purelake thing. With everyone basically going "You want to see the middle of the Purelake? Why would you do something so storming daft? There's nothing there, we tell you!" so conspicuously. When there used to be an entire fortress in that spot.

Edited by natc

Recall this is a land where no one goes on sea journeys because once a year you can go a few days without a Highstorm. Maybe people just don't tend to climb mountains when they might end up being stuck on an unforgiving cliff face in the worst of a Highstorm. Even if people tend to spend time around the Valley, I would imagine they take only the lowest passes through the mountain, and go around literally whenever possible. It might not be THAT weird that no one has seen it.

• Chaos locked this topic