Your 'Most perfect scene' from a book you've read

Shardlet

dreamingofcheese - Upvote for Odd Thomas (and me not even remembering that)!!  Man, a whole box of tissues and several months later I was finally able to read the second book!

The first time I read it my brain refused to allow my heart to grasp what happened. Then I reread it and it hit me. Dean built that couple with master builder skills. I LOVED Stormy and wanted Odd to have a Superman sunset moment. Glad the sceen decision wasn't mine to make.

My husband had read it before, and he told me after my experience with the ending that he'd just been hovering nearby the closer I got to the end of the book, waiting to see my reaction.  Truly masterful, as you said. :)

My husband had read it before, and he told me after my experience with the ending that he'd just been hovering nearby the closer I got to the end of the book, waiting to see my reaction.  Truly masterful, as you said. :)

He sounds like a keeper. Since he didn't destroy a perfect moment in an awesome book.

• 1 year later...

From "Way of Kings":

When Dalinar traded Oathbringer for the bridgemen. The fact that it occurred on top of a giant "Justice" glyph was completely perfect. It was absolutely one of those "I must tell someone about this" kind of moments. I basically explained the whole book to my friend just to tell them about that very moment. Also, the ensuing conversation with Kaladin was a wonderful dialogue:

"What is a man's life worth?" Dalinar asked softly
"The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams," Kaladin said, frowning.
"And what do you say?"
"A life is priceless," he said immediately, quoting his father.
Dalinar smiled, wrinkle lines extending from the corners of his eyes. "Coincidentally, that is the exact value of a Shardblade,"

-Page 1196, "Way of Kings", Brandon Sanderson, 2010

Edited by Amrynn

From "Way of Kings":

When Dalinar traded Oathbringer for the bridgemen. The fact that it occurred on top of a giant "Justice" glyph was completely perfect. It was absolutely one of those "I must tell someone about this" kind of moments. I basically explained the whole book to my friend just to tell them about that very moment. Also, the ensuing conversation with Kaladin was a wonderful dialogue:

"What is a man's life worth?" Dalinar asked softly

"The slavemasters say one is worth about two emerald broams," Kaladin said, frowning.

"And what do you say?"

"A life is priceless," he said immediately, quoting his father.

Dalinar smiled, wrinkle lines extending from the corners of his eyes. "Coincidentally, that is the exact value of a Shardblade,"

-Page 1196, "Way of Kings", Brandon Sanderson, 2010

This entire scene is impressed deep into my memory. Navani's raw grief and anger leading into the justice glyph; Dalinar returning determined to do what is right and fix what is wrong; Kaladin finally seeing honor in action; Sadeas being frustrated even in his dream of owning a Shardblade.

To me, this is the climax of The Way of Kings.

And it is beautiful. 

Let's see...

In The Wind in the Willows when Rat and Mole encounter Pan (the Piper at the Gates of Dawn).

In Little, Big by John Crowley there's a scene where Auberon is leaving Edgewood for the City, and as he walks a field mouse notices him and exclaims, "Hey! I knew your grandfather! Hey!" but either because he's focused on his journey or because men can not see magic Auberon keeps on walking, unaware. 

Spoilering everything as we're in General Discussion

Harry Potter 7 Spoilers

A lot of them in Harry Potter 7, but when Harry gets to talk to his parents and everyone else who had died and had helped raise him.

Also when Voldemort's spells had no hold on them because Harry had died for all of them, protecting them with the same protection he had his whole life.

Words of Radiance Spoilers

"Honor is dead....But I'll see what I can do." And the other one is when Syl argues with the Stormfather and claims Kaladin, even though he betrayed her and almost killed her completely. Then Kaladin says the next oath and explodes.

Mistborn Spoilers

When Vin kicks the spikes of 13 Inquisitors and then ascends. Then when she helps Elend and kills Ruin in retaliation. The ending of the first Mistborn trilogy is the most perfect ending for me for any series I've ever read.

1. The Prologue of both Kingkiller books, esp. book 2

2. When Kvothe attends Master Elodin's classes (there's one I particularly like, about Fenton)

3. Kvothe and Denna at Tarbean in book 2

4. The last chapter of Kingkiller book 2

5. The epilogue of both books. I am a huge Rothfuss fan. 

-----Okay now other fantasy series----

1. Malazan--> The siege of Capustan, esp. when Gruntle raises his banner (I know it is messy)

2. Malazan --> Almost every time when Karsa says "Witness".

3. Malazan--> Itkovian's act, and Beak's act. Readers will know which one.

4. Stormlight Archive --> When Kaladin says "Honor is dead".

5. Stormlight Archive --> When the stormfather says, "I am. I was....". 

6. Stormlight Archive --> Hoid at the end of both books. I like his philosophising. 

7. The Brothers Karamazov --> The Grand Inquisitor

8. Malazan --> Siege of Y'Ghatan. Erikson writes very good battle scenes. 

I have a couple:

The Well of Ascension: When Sazed is fighting Marsh in the The Lord Ruler's hovel and Marsh steel-pushes Sazed's Metalmind Rings into his stomach.

The Gathering Storm: When Rand travels to the top of Dragonmount and has his epiphany.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: When Harry attacks the Carrow in Ravenclaw tower after he insults McGonagall.

Knife of Dreams: When Perrin makes his alliance with Banner-General Tylee Kiergan and the Seanchan army to assault Malden.

The Hobbit's closing scene! I feel it wraps the story up satisfyingly as

Gandalf tells Bilbo how he's just a small part of the world and said hobbit's classic response, "Thank goodness for that!"

Always brings a smile to my face  ^_^

From a Sanderson book, I would say in Words of Radiance when

Kaladin comes from the sky to confront Szeth. "You sent him to the sky to die, assassin..." The ensuing fight was also pretty amazing.

Some people said that his dialogue is too melodramatic but I think it was awesome  B)

Some people said that his dialogue is too melodramatic but I think it was awesome  B)

I actually prefer melodrama in my fantasy! 

A scene between Thomas Covenant and Mhoram in The Power That Preserves:

So Covenant is being summoned to the Land whilst he's bleeding out/going full-blown leprosy and trying to save a girl who just got bit by a venomous snake. Mhoram gazes at him, and says, "My god, you're in Hell... your world is a Hell!" Mhoram tries to draw Covenant into the Land because Covenant is the only one who can save them from certain destruction and Covenant resists because "he has to save this girl!" Other Lords assembled with Mhoram are all "He'll let a world die for a girl? The *bleep*?" Mhoram on the other hand releases Covenant saying something like, "The Land will not be undone by intentions like these"....so good!

• Chaos locked this topic