The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

On 23.6.2017 at 3:31 AM, Straw said:

What effects do shardblades have on plants?

We've already seen this. I think it was in the chasm part in WoR, maybe? Can't remember exactly.  Anyway, Shallan (I think it was her...) states that when she cut vines, she needed to hit them twice.  The first hit killing them, and the second severing them.

Edited by Storming Radiant

2 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

Axies is actually an Siah Aimian.  We don't know a lot about this race yet,

Reveal hidden contents

but a trip trying to get onto an Aimian island

takes place in one of the Oathbringer Interludes.

I'm pretty sure he was asking after the Mad Homeless guy, the one with the "city" made out of garbage and who sees himself as a god.

1 hour ago, Emerald101 said:

In the real world, physicists describe the universe using mathematical relationships. In the Cosmere, could math be accurately used in a similar fashion to describe the Cognitive and/or Spiritual realms?

I can't think of stuff that cannot be described by math.

But we live in a world with only a physical realm. Is it possible to quantify and describe something as ephemeral as the Ideals and Connections of the Spiritual realm? Or the effects of perception on the Cognitive? I'm not sure.

6 minutes ago, Emerald101 said:

But we live in a world with only a physical realm. Is it possible to quantify and describe something as ephemeral as the Ideals and Connections of the Spiritual realm? Or the effects of perception on the Cognitive? I'm not sure.

The constants and variables would need to be learned and interpreted, as they are obviously going to be different, but math should still apply. 

Look at the expansion and contraction of the Cognitive Realm. Just because we don't know the pieces of the formula that produce that effect doesn't mean it can't be explained. It seems to have a consistent nature, so math should be applicable.

It's math we don't know, but it's still math. 

Edited by Calderis

So I'm back after 5 days, but these questions took be about 5 minutes. They are all related to Hemalurgy, which seems to be a running theme with me...

Anyway, it's one question with about 7 "if so" follow-ups.

General Hemalurgy:

• Can you "recharge" a Hemalurgic Spike by stabbing it through another Misting of the same type?
    • If so, can you change the spike power by stabbing it through a Misting of a different type?
      • Would this overwrite the prior power, or become a spike of mixed powers?
      • Would the spike still function in the original bind point if the power changes?
    • If so, is there a limit to how many times you can recharge a spike in this manner? (exponential/multiplicative decay or something)
    • If so, can you make the spike even more powerful by recharging multiple times in quick succession, and could you reach TLR levels doing this?
    • What effects would this multi-soul steal per spike have on the user's spiritweb and/or psyche?
    • To any of the above: If not, why not?

8 minutes ago, FiveLate said:

Love....

Arguably it could be if we properly understood the stimuli and chemical reactions in the brain. 

Just because we're not able to describe things with math, doesn't mean math is incapable. The problem is with us, not with math. 

1 hour ago, FiveLate said:

Are living Shardblade Keys that unlock Oathgate? Is it possible to hack the key?

Oathbringer Spoiler. (Regarding hacking/bypassing the use of a live Sprenblade)

While we're on this topic, I asked Brandon something related to the Honorblades, and got a neat little piece of information. I'd completely forgotten about it until today, but here you guys go.

There's minor Oathbringer spoilers, though, so open the spoiler at a small, small risk (considering that I didn't get RAFO'd, it's not really that significant).

Spoiler

4ab0cd224e703b6747097528b2c4b865.png

Did Hoid turn down a specific shard, or just the chance to pick up a shard?  If specific, which shard?

I think this entry implies a specific shard.

The Only Joe

Was Hoid offered one of the Shards we know about?

Brandon Sanderson

You know, I can't remember which Shard I've shown you, Wait, no I haven't shown you that one.

Are Atium and Lerasium still being produced?

Personally, I'd say no, as the Pits and the Well(what/where they were being produced) are no more.

Dalenthas (15 October 2008)

Does the Well of Ascension still exist in the new world? Or is it no longer necessary? I assumed that Preservation collected there like Ruin collects in the Pits of Hathsin, so if Atium keeps forming then the well should keep filling...

Brandon Sanderson (16 October 2008)

The Well (and the small wells in the Pits) is no more. For now at least.

This doesn't mean that harmony can't make Atium/Lerasium, only that the things that produced them naturally are gone.

Edit: @FiveLate I found the WoB. Along with another WoB that Preservation was "kind-of" splintering Ruin when he trapped him in the well and the pits. Now that's something to ask Brandon about in more detail.

Edited by The One Who Connects

So there have been several issues that have been brought up in recent conversations that ended with "that's another thing to ask Brandon," so I'm cataloguing the ones that I remember here for future use.

1. Regarding Preservation "kind of" splintering Ruin, can you go into more detail about this? How/Why it is "kind of," How such a destructive act wasn't blocked by Preservation's Intent, etc..
  2. Would you still consider Sazed as "human"(or Terris) in his current ascended state?
  3. If say.. Tanavast had stepped down and let someone else ascend to Honor, would Tanavast still be the person he was before ascension or would he have become the walking definition of "Honor"?
  4. Just to ask it again, what set of powers do Gold Spikes steal?

To clear up a few other issues we've had:

1. How many Hemalurgic Spikes (during the time-period of the books) would Marsh need to match Elend's (Lerasium) strength in A-Steel?
  2. Was there ever a time where a Single Misting could take over a Koloss, or was it always a team of Soothers/Mistborn+Duralumin?
  3. Would you need more Allomantic Strength to take over a Koloss with stronger spikes than you would for a Koloss with weaker(decayed/reused) spikes?
  4. If you spiked out a power from both Vin and Elend, would the spike from Elend be harder to push on?
    • Clarification: A spike from a stronger Allomancer should grant stronger Allomancy, so does that mean that it contains more stolen Investiture?
  5. Did we actually see/hear a reference to Chana in WoK? We've found the mention/appearance of all 9 of the other Heralds, but not her.

8 hours ago, Silverblade5 said:

It's been established that Hoid strongly dislikes Kelsier.

It has? All I recall is this:

Inviting Hoid and Kelsier to the same party could result in murdering.
Hoid and Kelsier do not get along. At all.
source

Given their interaction, is not surprising Kelsier would have a beef with Hoid but there is not much to imply that Hoid does hate Kelsier.

On 7/2/2017 at 7:12 AM, Oversleep said:

It has? All I recall is this:

Given their interaction, is not surprising Kelsier would have a beef with Hoid but there is not much to imply that Hoid does hate Kelsier.

Given their interaction, and what Hoid knows of Kel's pre-death actions, Hoid could quite reasonably consider Kelsier a reckless psychopath.  

How do Alethi women play music? Instruments like flutes and strings require two hands to play properly, and even a glove would affect the technique/sound.

At the climax of The Way of Kings, would Eshonai actually have killed or significantly harmed Dalinar had Kaladin not intervened?

When 2 shards fight each other is it usually in real time or drawn out across millenia? Mistborn seems to have examples of both.

Edited by kiapet

Realmatically, what is the difference between Hemalurgic spike and an unkeyed (or perhaps unsealed) nicrosilmind?

Both contain part of a Spiritweb but they are not the same thing. Is metalmind charged with a mix of Preservation & Ruin Investiture while spike is charged with Ruin's? (that doesn't entirely make sense either since spikes can be used to steal Preservation's Investiture in your soul...)

Edited by Oversleep

I have a few questions.

Sel:

Did Galladon use AonDor to access Shadesmar, or was it through a different ability or form of investiture?

Do all of the nations have a form of magic?

Nalthis:

Do worldhoppers have a breath when they arrive on Nalthis or are they drab.