The Ultimate List of Questions for Brandon

Chaos

If Scadrians want to use Allomancy outside of Scadrial, will they need to carry Scadrian metals for them to burn? Does the source planet of the metal matter?

Edited by skaa

I don't see any reason why it would, since the physical structure of the metal is known to be the important bit...

Yes. Scadrian metal have Ruin and Preservation in them, though. That may or may not be important.

Edited by skaa

Not true. Metal is metal.

Well, they'd definitely need to get atium and lerasium from Scadrial (or at least, from Harmony). Sazed himself said that the very rocks on Scadrial contained Ruin and Preservation; that's where I got that idea. He also said that what makes atium behave the way it does Allomantically is due to it containing Ruin and not Preservation. So, what if a piece of metal had Honor and Cultivation in it? Or Endowment? Or Odium?

But hey, if it's not something you guys want to ask Brandon, then I'm fine with that. :)

Edited by skaa

The thing is, we know how the (non god, non compounded) metals work.  The molecular structure serves as a pseudo-aon. 

http://www.openthefridge.net/blog/2011/11/18/interview-author-brandon-sanderson.html

People ask about getting the power from metals and things, but that’s not actually how it works. The power’s not coming from metal. I talked a little about this before, but you are drawing power from some source, and the metal is actually just a gateway. It’s actually the molecular structure of the metal… what’s going on there, the pattern, the resonance of that metal works in the same way as an Aon does in Elantris. It filters the power. So it is just a sign of “this is what power this energy is going to be shaped into and give you.” When you understand that, compounding [in Alloy of Law] makes much more sense.

So as long as you have the same molecular structure (and don't have it heavily invested, like Nightblood or the One Ring), it should act like any other metal of the type.

The metallic arts are the 'easiest' ones to use on other planets, so it really wouldn't make sense if metals procured onsite didn't work.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

I'd like to add a question: 

Did the planets themselves exist prior to Adonalsium's Shattering? 

If this question is already answered I'd be glad somebody could give me the answer or a reference. 

I'd like to add a question: 

Did the planets themselves exist prior to Adonalsium's Shattering? 

If this question is already answered I'd be glad somebody could give me the answer or a reference. 

Which planets are you asking about?  We know that Yolen, at least, existed - there's a book set on it pre-shattering, which obviously implies it was already around.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

Yeah, I meant Shardworlds when I wrote planets, and I've forgotten about Yolen (that book is the one that only students at BYU can read, IIRC?). I think I've got to refine my question: 

Did (all the) Shardworlds exist prior to Adonalsium's Shattering? 

Yeah, I meant Shardworlds when I wrote planets, and I've forgotten about Yolen (that book is the one that only students at BYU can read, IIRC?). I think I've got to refine my question: 

Did (all the) Shardworlds exist prior to Adonalsium's Shattering? 

Well, aside from that, we know that planets (plural) had people before the shattering as well, and we know that Ruin and Preservation showed up at a pre-existant planet.  I'm not sure where you're going with this... I mean, they obviously weren't shardworlds before the shards showed up.

Windrunner
Did people exist on Nalthis prior to Endowment's arrival there?
Brandon Sanderson
Some planets had people before the shattering.

I couldn't find this asked anywhere else; Could Odium somehow pull Ruin out of Harmony?

and if so; would they be allies, or would they hate or destroy each other?

Ruin isn't an independent entity. Ruin is a powerful force which can be taken up by a human, and which slowly warps that human to value ruining things. Brandon has said that Ruin would be somewhat compatible with Odium if he took it up, although Odium doesn't want to take up other shards.

Also Harmony is extremely powerful, so shattering Harmony would be difficult. If Odium did somehow succeed at removing Ruin from Sazed then Ruin would just exist and wouldn't be actively hateful or destructive.

Its worth noting however that Brandon's said that whatever means Odium used to Splinter Aona and Skai was a long and difficult process as well.  So if Odium were able to Splinter Harmony in a similar manner, would it Splinter into Ruin and Preservation?  Or would all the Splinters just be smaller mixes of the two original Shards?

Also, at this point, if Sazed were to die for some reason, he would drop a unified "Harmony" rather than two separate Shards, and separating the two would take some doing.

Isn't this theory? Could you provide us with a quote? I hadn't realized that Brandon confirmed that the two shards are one now. Wouldn't that mean if somebody held all the shards, Adonalsium would be "reforged"?

Isn't this theory? Could you provide us with a quote? I hadn't realized that Brandon confirmed that the two shards are one now. Wouldn't that mean if somebody held all the shards, Adonalsium would be "reforged"?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1ced7z/iamstilla_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson_ama/c9l29rz?context=3

Excellent question. The shards are now intermingled, and would take effort to split apart. He would drop Harmony. (This is what Odium feared would happen, by the way.)

• 3 weeks later...

Does stormlight retention and radiation follow the square-cube law? If so, do broams radiate for ~3 times longer than chips?

Would an embedded Brass metalmind melt at high temperatures? What about one that's completely buried in the skin?
-Probably: Water in your stomach oughtn't to boil away.
Edited by Kurkistan

I'd hazard the latter, because of Allomancy, but I don't think we know for sure. The shardworlds are supposed to affect the magic systems, not the other way around, so Allomancy being as it is seems to be more intrinsic to Scadrial than would be the case if it was all due to Adonalsium. Though it could simply be that Scadrial's unique properties express themselves as 16 metals because of the Shards... Okay, question worth asking, at least.

Edited by Kurkistan

I don't have a good answer for you, and ultimately it's pure speculation. Personally I think he split into 16 parts because he had previously defined himself into 16 different aspects that all balanced each other out. Restated, shattering just completely separates attributes that were already somewhat partitioned in the whole.