Mestiv, you skipped a lot of in game time with that post, which is fine, but might mean it'll take some IRL time to catch up to you. Comatose still hasn't made a Rainmaker post yet, and there's a fair number of other users who haven't posted anything new yet either (the Gleeman, The Honey Badger, Voidus, Edgedancer, 18th Shard, Mailliw, Tyson, mail-mi, and TheSilverDragon). I guess my point is that it might be a while before we catch up to you, but man, that was a good post. I love the image of Argon eating pie nonchalantly while three Epics try to kill each other.

Yeah, I figured that I'm skipping in the timeline quite a bit, but I just didn't want Argon to sit in front of the bubble and stare at it waiting for noon :) Fortunately, every other active character is quite far away, and the Adair Village won't be affected by any of their actions. It's about 8km from the Corvallis border. And yes, I'm ready to wait some time before others finish their breakfast ;) 

Yeah, I figured that I'm skipping in the timeline quite a bit, but I just didn't want Argon to sit in front of the bubble and stare at it waiting for noon :) Fortunately, every other active character is quite far away, and the Adair Village won't be affected by any of their actions. It's about 8km from the Corvallis border. And yes, I'm ready to wait some time before others finish their breakfast ;)

Awesome! He's shaping up to be a fun character, I'm excited to see him interact with the rest of the characters.

Also, I have been wondering a bit about population numbers. 

Not just with Epics, but also with the normal people in each of the cities.

I know we have been deliberately vague about numbers but I personally would like to pin them down a bit more, if others are happy to do that too? I mean I sort of have ideas in my own head-canon, but it would be good to sync all our ideas together I think, so we are all on the same page.

My personal ideas on the Epic/human populations in each city:

Portland: no real ideas at all. At least 120 or so, with the MEE being most of them plus the Epics from the factions we know about.

Corvallis: Less than 20'000 humans, maybe 200 or so Epics (many from other states attracted to the niceness)

Astoria: Maybe 2000 or so. Maybe a few dozen Epics, plus the ones we already know about. Nothing very nice to attract anyone in particular, I figure.

The Dalles: Combined with the two nearby close towns/suburbs perhaps 10'000 or less. We know all the Dalles Epics, don't we?

Scribbler, Deathwish, Edgerunner, Arsenal, Glamour, before all the new ones, right?

Salem: Probably pretty low, a few tens of thousands from a populace of 160'000. Maybe only a dozen or so Epics normally, but with a fluctuating number that stay for the fights. 

What does everyone else think?

Huh. We should make a thread called "Pertinent Information of Oregon" that lists all of this sort of stuff out. In the Questions threads, it just sort of gets lost. I could swear someone brought up the exact same thing a few weeks ago.  :wacko:

I'd have to check with Twi to make sure but about half a decade, 4 years at the very least.

That doesn't explain where he would get any of the needed recourcess from, Though.

You got the name right. (Or Jack Hayter if you want to go with his normal name.)

There're one or two currently undisclosed utility Epics that help a bit with resources (Haven't settled on exact powersets incase anyone wanted to RP someone in the government but something much more limited in scope than Cornucopia or the Financier) but largely through trade and 'donations' gathered from visitors. 

that's true, but something we should remember is that Chicago went from a population of 3.6 million to 250'000 at the start of Steelheart. A city renowned for its livability, if tyranny, lost over 90% of its population. Compared to that, i was being really, really generous with my estimates.

Although to be fair, most of these cities are much nicer places to live in for humans than Newcago.

Its just something to keep in mind when thinking about how many people left or died because of the Epics.

oh! Forgot about those 3. So 8 Epics in total. Sounds reasonable.

Edit: oh! And Quicksilver and his Epics. Don't know if they came from the Dalles though or what.

This is a couple of years before Steelheart, keep in mind that by the end of the RP the population will be 0 :P

Much smaller and Salem just wouldn't be able to support the arena fights is the main problem, I can just use Epics to make up for the lack of labour but we already have a couple of cities with resource creating Epics, I feel like adding another would be stretching it a bit.

Blackhoof, due to my Buttercup post having been at 8:00, are you okay with your timing having been around 7:30? That way it would be feasible for her to see to Converter's make-shift prison before getting the call. I was also curious as to what the final ghoul count was? Did Iconoclast shift anyone new, or is it just the 10 (as one died) or 9, if the one who attacked Pyrotouch died too?

Unless the ghouls are scattered over a large area there's a good chance Kenshin will have taken care of them by the time Buttercup reacts, actually.

Unless the ghouls are scattered over a large area there's a good chance Kenshin will have taken care of them by the time Buttercup reacts, actually.

Right, though as Queen of Security she'd still need to respond in some fashion after getting word of the attack, even if the response isn't in person. Your post does alleviate some of the issue though, as the attack can have happened earlier, with local Security handling the after effects however you and Blackhoof feel they, logically, should. This way Buttercup could hear about it hours later, and everything not be set into EMERGENCY MODE.  :)

Also Kobold, out of interest (not attempting to hurry you) are you prioritzing Lightwrads or one of the Dalles characters at this point?

Loosely prioritizing Vondra in The Dalles, but anything's possible at this point.

So here's a question in the same vein as fantasy!Oregon... if Funtimes, Lucentia, and other characters were given their own starships to command in a sci-fi setting, what would they do with them? :mellow:

Loosely prioritizing Vondra in The Dalles, but anything's possible at this point.

So here's a question in the same vein as fantasy!Oregon... if Funtimes, Lucentia, and other characters were given their own starships to command in a sci-fi setting, what would they do with them? :mellow:

Funtimes' first action would be to paint her starship pink. Her second would be to add paintings of teddy bears and butterflies. Her third would be to name it the Party City and fly off in search of people who looked fun.

Nathan, on the other hand, would equip his starship with state-of-the-art shields, cloaking, and defensive weapons, as well as adequate food supplies, and then proceed to hide somewhere close to a peaceful planet where he could replenish his supplies without any trouble.

Funtimes' first action would be to paint her starship pink. Her second would be to add paintings of teddy bears and butterflies. Her third would be to name it the Party City and fly off in search of people who looked fun.

Nathan, on the other hand, would equip his starship with state-of-the-art shields, cloaking, and defensive weapons, as well as adequate food supplies, and then proceed to hide somewhere close to a peaceful planet where he could replenish his supplies without any trouble.

So... Funtimes' TV series would basically be Firefly, but twelve times more fabulous? :P

"Peaceful planet." In the Oregon Galaxy? How little you know, Captain Sperry. :ph34r:

Quicksilver would start an Intergalactic Crime Empire. The Mad Ballooner would probably crash into something.

Edited by Fatebreaker

When discussing populations, we have to remember that nearly all of our towns/cities will have higher numbers than normal. The Dalles is run by vanillas, for vanillas. Salem has a large population. Corvallis would have a large population as well due to both he need to fulfill the necessary jobs (loads of farming, serving, etc.) and simply because of immigration. Astoria would be in a similar situation. If anything, I'd argue that our locations would all have fared better than Newcago, plus they are nearly all desired destinations for refugees of other cities.

My lack of Portland knowledge probably bleeds through this post... :ph34r:

indeed, but compared to Newcago's 90% population loss, the 50-60% loss I've estimated for most cities seems fair and accurate. I think Portland would have less than a tenth if its original population by now though, given the complete lack of any incentive to stay compared to nearby nice cities.

Time for Corvallis talk! We seem to have an issue of timing now. My last post was around 8:00 in the morning. Blackhoof's post seems to have been earlier than that. Mestiv's post spanned the time between 11:30 am and 1:00 pm. 

Blackhoof, due to my Buttercup post having been at 8:00, are you okay with your timing having been around 7:30? That way it would be feasible for her to see to Converter's make-shift prison before getting the call. I was also curious as to what the final ghoul count was? Did Iconoclast shift anyone new, or is it just the 10 (as one died) or 9, if the one who attacked Pyrotouch died too?.

yeah about that sounds right. I was vague with my timing on purpose.

He shifted (i like that term) the servants in Pyrotouch's house, and a few others around, but he didnt hang around long. So probably 25 or so, including the ones that have died (lie the one that killed Pyrotouch).

Huh. We should make a thread called "Pertinent Information of Oregon" that lists all of this sort of stuff out. In the Questions threads, it just sort of gets lost. I could swear someone brought up the exact same thing a few weeks ago.  :wacko:

indeed, that would be a good idea if we can agree on rough numbers :)

There're one or two currently undisclosed utility Epics that help a bit with resources (Haven't settled on exact powersets incase anyone wanted to RP someone in the government but something much more limited in scope than Cornucopia or the Financier) but largely through trade and 'donations' gathered from visitors. 

This is a couple of years before Steelheart, keep in mind that by the end of the RP the population will be 0 :P

Much smaller and Salem just wouldn't be able to support the arena fights is the main problem, I can just use Epics to make up for the lack of labour but we already have a couple of cities with resource creating Epics, I feel like adding another would be stretching it a bit.

yeah, that's a good point actually. Donations of supplies would be a huge source of resources for Salem. I didn't consider the idea of exacting payment from the contestants.

i don't necessarily think that is accurate. The fights are all dream-state after all, they just need enough manpower to maintain the stadium, and staff and maintain the accommodation, as a minimum.

yeah, like most Epics she could carve through ghouls like wheat. They are, after all, just pain-immune angry people.

Nice posts in Corvallis, all! Iconoclast's really shaping up to be quite the creep. :P And Argon is fascinating to watch.

Blackhoof, how do you think Hypno's Commands would work on ghouls?

hmmm good question. Its open to debate i suppose.

Ghouls are stupid, and very susceptible to Iconoclast's own suggestions. That said, it is an inherent part if his power, and their minds are so clouded with base rage and hunger that they don't have room for much else. If understanding the commands is necessary, they wouldn't work because ghouls cant understand words anymore. If not, then I'd say they would be resistant but able to be commanded.

Since Iconoclast and his ghouls are partly based off of the Reavers in Firefly, we know exactly what he'd do :P

he is a simple, predictable person.

Scribbler would outfit her craft with stealth drives and a state of the art industrial spray can and follow Arsenals flagship around painting various parts of it pink and leaving graffiti'd messages for him.

The Adventurer would probably do exactly what you'd expect and try to blow up every other ship he saw.

Neverthere would broadcast messages to her ship but remain safe inside a bunker on an undisclosed planet.

PP would issue multiple conflicting orders and probably end up getting his ship blown up pretty quickly.

Soulcaster would broadcast his spacefearing adventures for all to see and seek out excitement wherever he could.

Lucentia wouldn't so much care for the ship itself and instead go conquer some kind of high tech space station with it.

Nighthound would become some kind of dread space pirate.

Shiny Sparkle would use hers to search for cute/sexy alien races to have fun with.

yeah, like most Epics she could carve through ghouls like wheat. They are, after all, just pain-immune angry people.

Would Iconoclast by the way taken notice of her in any way?

Lucentia wouldn't so much care for the ship itself and instead go conquer some kind of high tech space station with it.

Nighthound would become some kind of dread space pirate.

Shiny Sparkle would use hers to search for cute/sexy alien races to have fun with.

Would Iconoclast by the way taken notice of her in any way?

Not at this stage, no. He wants to be as personally inconspicuous as possible until things get worse. Even if she was right near him, he would continue escaping. If she attacked him directly, he would pretend to be dead until she was out of sight, and then heal and escape.

for now... ;)

Not at this stage, no. He wants to be as personally inconspicuous as possible until things get worse. Even if she was right near him, he would continue escaping. If she attacked him directly, he would pretend to be dead until she was out of sight, and then heal and escape.

for now... ;)

About what I figured. I supposse I'll be down to her dealing with the ghouls and giving testemony about what happened, I supposse. Blaze, would Buttercup want to hear that testemony in person?

Oh, and Kobold, could I get a Redlight pony, please?

Edited by Edgedancer

I have a maybe stupid question, not really related to the RP. Why are Question threads closed after reaching 100 pages? The forum is not capable to handle > 100 pages? I don't think that is the case, but what other reason can there be?

Edited by Mestiv

I have a maybe stupid question, not really related to the RP. Why are Question threads closed after reaching 100 pages? The forum is not capable to handle > 100 pages? I don't think that is the case, but what other reason can there be?

After the first page hit 200 pages I think Twi got a request from the Admins to start a new thread to make it easier to moderate, after that we just stuck to 100

Edited by Voidus

About what I figured. I supposse I'll be down to her dealing with the ghouls and giving testemony about what happened, I supposse. Blaze, would Buttercup want to hear that testemony in person?

She likely would, considering the description will match the gifted Epics from the Sports Fields. Plus it gives us more character interaction!