For some reason he absently rubbed at his chest.

MoS03

Currently on a 1st audiobook listen to WoR, and this line caught my ear.

It's during Kaladin's 1st meeting with Elhokar and Dalinar.  It's right after Dalinar claims he'd like to beat the Highprinces like children.  It's in reference to Elhokar.

Why is Elhokar rubbing at his chest?  This seems like such an odd line to just toss in for the scene, for some reason while listening to it, it's incredibly obvious that this line doesn't quite match up with the rest of the scene.  Is there something I'm missing?  Perhaps I'm just real high.

My best guess is that Elhokar still remembers the thrashing Dalinar gave him at the end of The Way of Kings (he did kick him in the chest). But I will acknowledge that there may be something more interesting going on.

I read the books back to back, so it was an amusing detail.  :lol:

In particular, it seems like it refers to the bit where Dalinar drops him to the ground and puts his Shardplate-enhanced hand right against Elhokar's chest while talking about how easily he could have killed him at any time, in a case of "very odd paternal instincts". I still think it's one of Dalinar's main Crowning Moments of Awesome.

In a way, I'm surprised there aren't shipfics, with a scene like that.  :ph34r: In any of the other fandoms I'm familiar with, people would be all over it. Same with, say, Jasnah x Shallan, in a MariMite kind of way. High school AU?

Maybe I'll have to take care of it myself.  :lol: You people are so unenthusiastic about these things, while your theorycrafting is about a hundred times more elaborate than I've seen in the usual fandoms. I guess every fandom is different.

Just gonna butt in here, and probably derail this thread but. . .

Why would people ship Shallan/Jasnah? I know there are a few paragraphs that Shallan mentions that Jasnah is very beautiful, but I got more of an impression that Shallan was actually kinda jealous. Also to add to it there is that 17 year age difference. I can totally see them as good friends someday but, shipping? Do people even do that?

(Please excuse me if I am woefully ignorant, the only fandom experience I've had before this was Pinterest)

Why would people ship Shallan/Jasnah? I know there are a few paragraphs that Shallan mentions that Jasnah is very beautiful, but I got more of an impression that Shallan was actually kinda jealous. Also to add to it there is that 17 year age difference. I can totally see them as good friends someday but, shipping? Do people even do that?

(Please excuse me if I am woefully ignorant, the only fandom experience I've had before this was Pinterest)

I get the impression that it falls right into the category of fancy-girls'-school-shipping that you get in MariMite, where the standard relationship model has a younger girl who sees her sempai as utterly flawless and respects her deeply (and perhaps being the only one to see the cracks in her facade and try to fill them), while the sempai in turn draws strength from the innocent spark of the younger and directs her in the ways of the world, and they have tea parties and long walks under the fluttering cherry blossoms and occasional almost-romantic heart-to-hearts?

Something like that. It isn't my area of expertise; I've only watched like the first episode of Kannazuki no Miko.  :lol:

I mean, it seems like Shallan would work as the younger girl. Jasnah, on the other hand, is a block of ice. That wouldn't normally stop the shipping, but it does make it that much harder, I guess.

To this, I will simply say I consider these ships (Shallan/Jasnah, Adolin/Kaladin any OT3/OT4) as extreme fandoms AU. I do not consider them to be valid ships to be seriously considered in a serious conversation about Stormlight Archive. 

Why?

I once broke my very back trying to explain why on this very forum. I will thus simply say it goes against canon and the characters Brandon has written and defined. However, if the kids on tumblr want to write such stories, it is up to them, but they still are AU as they do not use the characters as they were developed by the author. Let's just say it is very OOC.

To this, I will simply say I consider these ships (Shallan/Jasnah, Adolin/Kaladin any OT3/OT4) as extreme fandoms AU. I do not consider them to be valid ships to be seriously considered in a serious conversation about Stormlight Archive. 

Don't worry, I don't think anyone is likely to seriously ship them - not in this community, at least.  :lol: Which is kind of strange, but not too strange. I mean, most people ship in a partially tongue-in-cheek manner, in the first place.

The strange part is how they don't seem to show up at all, even in (largely nonexistent, admittedly) crack fics.

Maybe my expectations have been skewed - Harmony knows there's enough seemingly-random shipping in most anime communities and in the most prominent fandoms elsewhere - but I just can't get over how little shipping there is. I'm not even much of a shipper myself, but it just feels like... a brick that should have been made of porridge, except you ran out of porridge before you could make it, or something.  :ph34r:

But I've derailed this thread enough already. Whoops, sorry about that.  -_-

On the topic of shipping please consider that personal interpretation has a lot to do with understanding characters.  Just because you* feel that certain actions or relationships are "out of character" does not mean that everyone else agrees.  There are quite a few people who ship Shasnah.  Do I?  No.  However, that does not change the fact that the people who do ship it feel that it is justified.  If you don't ship something that is fine, just don't disparage someone else for shipping it, leave them be.

Also keep in mind that shipping is something that happens more over on the tumblr side of the fandom and there's a very different culture over there.  Shipping just doesn't happen here very often, we tend to be more focused on the setting and are more scientifically minded.  Whereas tumblr is focused more on character and are more artistically minded.

*I'm using the generic "you" here I'm not trying to single anyone out.

On the topic of shipping please consider that personal interpretation has a lot to do with understanding characters.  Just because you* feel that certain actions or relationships are "out of character" does not mean that everyone else agrees.  There are quite a few people who ship Shasnah.  Do I?  No.  However, that does not change the fact that the people who do ship it feel that it is justified.  If you don't ship something that is fine, just don't disparage someone else for shipping it, leave them be.

Also keep in mind that shipping is something that happens more over on the tumblr side of the fandom and there's a very different culture over there.  Shipping just doesn't happen here very often, we tend to be more focused on the setting and are more scientifically minded.  Whereas tumblr is focused more on character and are more artistically minded.

*I'm using the generic "you" here I'm not trying to single anyone out.

This post makes me very ill at ease. I have thought long and hard as to what I should reply to it. I should probably say nothing, but I will nonetheless state I disagree with a large part of it.

I thought that it was Elhokar having an unpleasant recollection at Dalinar's 'odd parental instincts'. I hadn't considered that he might still be in pain/discomfort, I have this idea that a long time passes between WoK and WoR because of the imposed breaks in reading them.

Off-topic 

Shipping just doesn't happen here very often, we tend to be more focused on the setting and are more scientifically minded.  Whereas tumblr is focused more on character and are more artistically minded.

The first thing that popped into my head after seeing this was that clearly Tumblr members and sharders would likely attarct different types of spren in different proportions (I.E more lightweavers over on the tumblr side)... and that probably confirms this idea :)

• Chaos locked this topic