What Are You Reading, Part 2

Chaos

On 5/2/2017 at 9:08 PM, Briar King said:

hoping @maxal will try it again soon.

Maybe some day, but not in the near future. Right now, I am somehow slowly moving through Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne's third book. I like the story, I love the Kettral action (why so little chapters???), but I am discouraged at the number of viewpoints Kaden has. I get it, he is doing something important, but I feel this character has plot immunity. He never asks himself the right questions, he takes decisions for the wrong reasons, but he somehow always ends up being right. I find it unnerving and it is tampering my enjoyment. Luckily, there is Gwenna, I absolutely love her :wub: Now, that's a good character.

My next read will be Brent Weeks. I have been delaying it for so long.

1 hour ago, StormingTexan said:

Just finished Sins of Empire Brian McClellan's first book in his second series set in the Powder Mage world. Really good. Had a couple great twist. I think this series may end up being better than his first.

Can I ask which characters it is about? I loved the first trilogy, but I really don't fancy reading more Kae-Poel, I truly disliked her character. I loved the other ones though.

Edited by maxal

5 hours ago, maxal said:

Maybe some day, but not in the near future. Right now, I am somehow slowly moving through Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne's third book. I like the story, I love the Kettral action (why so little chapters???), but I am discouraged at the number of viewpoints Kaden has. I get it, he is doing something important, but I feel this character has plot immunity. He never asks himself the right questions, he takes decisions for the wrong reasons, but he somehow always ends up being right. I find it unnerving and it is tampering my enjoyment. Luckily, there is Gwenna, I absolutely love her :wub: Now, that's a good character.

My next read will be Brent Weeks. I have been delaying it for so long.

Go-go Kettrel Rangers! Lol, for some reason that came to my head sometime not long after Hull's Trial and turned into my unofficial theme song of the Kettrel. 

I hope Gwenna and/or other Kettrel get their own book like Skullsworn. 

Which Brent Weeks are you looking at next? I've only read Lightbringer, but it's a fantastic series through 4 books so far. 

7 hours ago, AngelEy3 said:

Go-go Kettrel Rangers! Lol, for some reason that came to my head sometime not long after Hull's Trial and turned into my unofficial theme song of the Kettrel. 

I hope Gwenna and/or other Kettrel get their own book like Skullsworn. 

Which Brent Weeks are you looking at next? I've only read Lightbringer, but it's a fantastic series through 4 books so far. 

:lol::lol::lol: Mine isn't nearly as good as yours... Each time I hear Katie Perry :ph34r: (alright before you ask questions, I will mention I often read at the gym and well, at the gym they play gym music, so many of my reads have gym music soundtrack :ph34r:), it makes me think of giant Kettral, Gwenna and her team doing drops and... :ph34r:

Spoiler

Quick Jak calling back Alla'ra. Storms, this was a good scene. It gave me goosebumps. I love to replay it in my head.

I was looking forward to read Lightbringer. Four books, this will get me through most of the summer, I think. I might insert a few non fantasy standalone in between tomes. I have been meaning to rinse my pallets, but I am getting quite anxious to start Brent Weeks.

I should finish up the Long Price Quartet by Daniel Abraham tomorrow. I have been enjoying it but not as much as The Expanse or Dagger and Coin. If his name wasn't on the cover I honestly would of thought a different author wrote this series; the language is more flowery and the books are more of a character study (rather than the fast paced other series he has written). It took almost the entire first book to get into, but I am glad I stuck with it. I think I need something light after this series... I think I will reread one of my all-time favorites Magician Apprentice and Master by Feist; its been a few years.

Oh yes! I'm catching so much stuff in Deadhouse that isn't known till bks 4&5 and maybe beyond. The sheer ability of Erikson is mindblowing in scope. It was so great to read these the 1st time but this 2nd time is even better catching this stuff!! I can't wait to further in the bks!

on Tigana, I've gotten around to page 54 or so and I'm really enjoying the heck out of it as well. Not sure why people don't like it. It kinda has an Elantris feel to it I think.

8 minutes ago, Briar King said:

Oh yes! I'm catching so much stuff in Deadhouse that isn't known till bks 4&5 and maybe beyond. The sheer ability of Erikson is mindblowing in scope. It was so great to read these the 1st time but this 2nd time is even better catching this stuff!! I can't wait to further in the bks!

One of the things you found was the Tiste Edur references isn't it? Blew my mind on my reread too!

I finished Sandworms of Dune last night. It should be clear by now that Dune 7 & 8 leave a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm done with Dune for good now. I'm only ever going to reread the first two, maybe three books. 

So I'm going to swing back to reading the Sandman, I'm on volume 4 now. I also will probably be starting the Tiffany Acheing subseries of the Discworld soon. 

On 5/5/2017 at 6:24 PM, maxal said:

Can I ask which characters it is about? I loved the first trilogy, but I really don't fancy reading more Kae-Poel, I truly disliked her character. I loved the other ones though.

Main characters from the first trilogy are Vlora and Olem. Your question is a tough one though due to possible spoilers. I can say I THINK your concern will very minimally effect your enjoyment (I even think it may change your prospective a bit on Kae-Poel indirectly it did mine). It is set in the same world just in Fatrasta about 10 years after the conclusion of the first trilogy. Interesting things are going on up there. I think this will shape up to be as good as the original trilogy. 

Edit: Speaking of Powder Mage I was looking for more "flintlock fantasy" and ran across Shadow Campaigns by Django Wexler (is this his real name if so this is an awesome name!). Anyone read it? Thoughts? Looks interesting and apparently I like this sub-genre. 

Edited by StormingTexan

just finished the lies of locke lamora thought it was pretty good, but cant get ahold of the second book in the series at the moment, so that will have to wait.

currently working on a sci-fi book called the three-body problemby Liu Cixin.  it is translated from Chinese.  not very far yet, and the first few chapters have been a bit of a crash course/refresher on 20th century Chinese history.  not a whole lot in the way of sci-fi elements yet, but we shall see

16 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

currently working on a sci-fi book called the three-body problemby Liu Cixin.  it is translated from Chinese.  not very far yet, and the first few chapters have been a bit of a crash course/refresher on 20th century Chinese history.  not a whole lot in the way of sci-fi elements yet, but we shall see

It gets past that fairly quick and on to some serious sci-fi. I read the entire series it's good and gets pretty deep towards the end of the series. 

1 hour ago, Dunkum said:

The translator Ken Liu wrote a book (Grace of Kings) that I thought was fantastic. It's not for everyone, but it pushed all the right buttons for me. The sequel Wall of Storms is almost as good.

11 hours ago, Dunkum said:

just finished the lies of locke lamora thought it was pretty good, but cant get ahold of the second book in the series at the moment, so that will have to wait.

Loved Three Body Problem! And The Dark Forest! Waiting until September for the trade paperback of Death's End to finish the trilogy. 

18 minutes ago, Orlion On a Cob said:

Loved Three Body Problem! And The Dark Forest! Waiting until September for the trade paperback of Death's End to finish the trilogy. 

Deaths End gets pretty deep. I like all three books and it is interesting because all three are really different. 

1 hour ago, Briar King said:

@Left

i encourage you if in a few yrs time you do reread Dune don't just read 1-3. 4-6 are extremely good on 2nd time. Esp bk 4(I hated it 1st and was blown away on 2nd). Obviously yeah...no need to bother with 7&8 EVER again. Burn them.

I did actually like God Emperor, much more than Children of Dune actually. It's just that If I read God Emperor than I'll probably feel the need to read 5 & 6, and I really just didn't like those two very much. Maybe in the far future I'll do a complete 1-6 re read, but not soon. I've still got such a bitter taste in my mouth from 7 & 8. 

Sandman volume 4 is good so far, although I haven't had time to really dig in yet.