True Detective

Quiver

So, recently I decided to binge-watch some old shows I've been eying for a while. I'm in the middle of Gravity Falls (near the end of season one, actually), but I also recently finished the first season of True Detective.

I know that the second season has started airing; I'm planning on getting to that once i finish Penny Dreadful (see the sister thread). But... does anyone else watch this show?

I got into it after reading an article about this amazing tracking shot at the end of episode 4 of the first season.  First and second seasons are drastically different shows.  The first one I highly recommend.  The second I'd only recommend if you're really into modern-ish noirs like Chinatown, LA Confidential, stuff like that.  It really depends on whether the second season's mystery is going somewhere interesting.

I've never actually watched this show, but a few things i've heard about the previous season intrigued me.

Mainly, I heard there were references to the king in yellow in season 1, which for those who don't know, is a big part of Cthulhu Mythos fiction. That said, I'm really not too much into murder mystery/detective/noir kinda stuff, so I've kinda been wanting to find out the answer to this. Specifically, is this actually a Cthulhu Mythos-based TV show in disguise? Has it slowly been delving into the occult, with stranger things happening as it progresses? Or is it pretty standard murder mystery fair? Because if it's the former, and it's slowly delving into Mythos occultism and getting more weird, it would totally fit along side normal mythos stuff (which usually starts off pretty mundane before sliding down a slippery slope into madness and the occult), and I need to get on watching this RIGHT NOW. If it's the latter, well....then....pass.

You guy's are repeating a lot of the comments I've heard about season two. I watched the opening theme - because I was curious what it was like- and I'm hoping that it does start delving into some of that Lovecraftian stuff (mostly because of that shot they have of what looks like the sun, which just seems too bizarre to not mean anything).

I loved S1 even more then average person cause creator is from my hometown Lake Charles and there a lot of places named I've been to in the show or mentioned. Plus the story is just fantastic and the shot in Ep 4 is some of the best tv in history. I'm hoping that director is doing it again in S2. S2 hasn't held a candle to S1 as I kinda predicted just because S1 was so epic it would be hard to top or equal. It has been good so far though.

Edited by Briar King