Promise of Blood

Kurkistan

So Brandon has been mentioning Brian McClellan's Promise of Blood for a bit now because McClellan is a former student of his. I had some down time and picked it up the other day. Does anyone want to share thoughts?

Myself, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the book. The prose was a bit overwrought at times, and the pacing wasn't exactly perfect, but it kept me reading and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

I loved the cook. :)

Chef darn it! Watch who you call cook. Feelings are liable to get hurt. ;)

I should be finished by tomorrow so I'll go ahead and reserve judgement untill I'm done, but...ugh, I cannot fathom how this got so many rave reviews. Fantastic ideas and parallels in the story but it's all drowned out. I do have a little more than a hundred pages left, so maybe that will change.

edit: SPOILERS

Well, a couple weeks removed from finishing and I can appreciate a few things, I just had to wait because it was so disappointing.

His magic system is well thought out and very engrossing. It's beautiful to actually see a revolution happening within the magic systems. The 'wave your hand and destroy mountains/wiggle your fingers and explode hearts' crowd has a seemingly inferior magic cabal to fear. Amazing dynamic between Privileged and Powder mages. Most novel approach to different magic systems interacting that I've read since sanderson.

But I about pulled my hair out with each successive snort that Taniel took. After a while of no consequences and steady trance, it's just annoying. Really annoying.

His writing surprised me. It really is pretty darn good. Far better than I expected of a new author. He tries a little too hard at times, but even then it doesn't hurt the fluidity of his prose at all.

The chef is comedic gold, but you get the real sense of his heart in his actions. Tamas, oh Tamas, the guy is incredibly well done. Gritty and real, and I mean real. You can feel his indomitable will to actually do something for the people, and his frustration with every obstacle. The scene with him and the opposing general was simple, short, and incredible on both sides.

Unfortunately everyone else is bleh. Pole is intriguing, but unfortunately she shares the screen with Taniel. Adamat and Nila were a waste of page space. Nila would have been far better served as a new viewpoint in book 2. Adamat...I seriously can't even talk about that.

The magic is...cool at first, quickly overwrought, and plain annoying in the end. You have the knacked, then powder mages, the privileged, magebreakers, then the old privileged with more power who are still around, the gods on top of them, and pole seemingly somewhere between old school priv and gods.

Not to mention, everyone turns out magical.

In the end, my problem is that it's not a book. Not a single story is completed (or even hinted at coming close), theres a moment at the end where you think at least something was done by someone in the book....but NO, we're informed you can't actually kill a god. Seriously upset about reading 500 pages of nothing happening. You're back at the beginning, except there is a problem or two more, with not one that was introduced having been done away with. Except for maybe a little revenge for Tamas.

Now I'm getting too heated about it all again and rambling on. No way in underworld would I even contemplate buying the second book.

Edited by Elwynn

• 1 month later...

Just finished this book a week ago. Here are my thoughts:

WARNING: SPOILERS AHOY!

On Balance I thought it was a magnificent outing for a new writer. Setting was original, prose was excellent and I was kept engaged up to the end. I particularly liked Powder Mages as a concept and the tension between the different magic classes was gripping, as wass the political backdrop of the revolution.

I do agree with several of the points Elwynn raised though.

Adamat and Nila added very little. They both had great potential but there was just not enough book space to flesh out their POV's and make them interesting. They just ended up as padding.

I also agree that there was a enormous missed opporunity to explore addiction and substance abuse in both Taniel and Tamas. It is kind of hinted at that Taniel is addicted, and after Tamas is wounded there are more hints that he is in danger of addiction after getting his powers back. Nothing actually results from this though and there seem to be no consequences for either character.

In my opinion, this could have been expored much more and really would have given both characters more depth as well as giving a interesting Father - son parallel in how they deal with their problems. 

I feel that the end could have been much stronger if either Taniel or Tamas had failed / missed / died as a result of addiction to powder.

Maybe this theme will be explored in the next books.

But these asside, I thought the book was well worth the read and will definitly grab the second when it appears.

• 5 months later...

I read it a few months ago,  really loved it.  I found it very engaging and it was the kind of novel that drags me along as opposed to me having to put effort into keep going.  I was also pleasantly surprised that the Author is from Cleveland, where I live!  He's doing a signing at a local Barnes and Noble on this Friday, Nov 22nd and I think I'm going to stop by and buy a copy to support him (since I bought it originally from Audible which I know is tantamount to ripping the author off).  I think it's the highest quality of new author I've read all year.

Edited by agrooster

I read it a few months ago,  really loved it.  I found it very engaging and it was the kind of novel that drags me along as opposed to me having to put effort into keep going.  I was also pleasantly surprised that the Author is from Cleveland, where I live!  He's doing a signing at a local Barnes and Noble on this Friday, Nov 22nd and I think I'm going to stop by and buy a copy to support him (since I bought it originally from Audible which I know is tantamount to ripping the author off).  I think it's the highest quality of new author I've read all year.

I'd like to echo most of this, though I won't be able to make the signing.

I agree with a lot of what was said in this thread overall.  I loved the way the magic systems interacted, but was annoyed by the lack of consequences for Taniel's constant snorting.  I kind of feel like we'll see some sort of consequence in the second book, but it would've been nice for at least hints of one in this book.

I'd like to echo most of this, though I won't be able to make the signing.

I agree with a lot of what was said in this thread overall.  I loved the way the magic systems interacted, but was annoyed by the lack of consequences for Taniel's constant snorting.  I kind of feel like we'll see some sort of consequence in the second book, but it would've been nice for at least hints of one in this book.

I do expect there to eventually be side-effects probably coupled with his rehabilitation after the end of Book 1.  However, I think you are all getting the correct and intended reaction to his obvious addiction.  Taniel knows he's using too much and in the wrong way, those around him discourage it, but he's so damnation good he can't afford to stop.  During the climax of the book when he performs an amazing feat he mentions that he's right on the edge of Powder-Blindness.  I think we're meant to feel disturbed by how deluded he is in his addiction.  The fact that he's snorting it is meant to evoke cocaine abuse.  I think for the first book it was fine to take him to the edge without bogging down the character with the inevitable side effects.

• 1 month later...

Just picked this up on sale from Kindle, gonna read on my phone in between other books. I saw this was highly recommended as 'Debut of the Year' on Reddit the one time I've browsed that site in a year, lol. So I definitely can't wait to check it out.

And crazy he's from Cleveland! I'm from right around that area so I would totally love to try and go to one of his signings, sometime!

Edit: Crap! He was right in my town a month ago! I wish I had known about and read him before then, I've never got to meet an actual author before and that would just be so fantastic an experience. Especially as a debut author, I feel like he would be really cool to talk to.

I'll catch him next time.

Edited by Gamma Fiend

• 3 weeks later...

As a first book from a new author, this was stunning, mostly for its complexity. McLellan juggles three POV characters, a host of side characters, and a relatively complex plot with seeming ease.

I don't think it's a perfect book, but I can find little to complain about. Some of the more political sections dragged for me, but the pace really picks up in the middle, and doesn't let up. I disagree that the book needed to spend more time on the addiction. It just would have slowed the breakneck pace. There will surely be time for that in subsequent books.

The various competing magic systems were great, but for me, the real clincher was the characters. This is a book with a pretty large cast of characters, and all of them are great. My favorite? Pole. Definitely Pole. Close second - Adamat.

I'll be reading the sequel soon. I have a sizable backlog of books that I've purchased and not read, and I've promised myself I wouldn't buy any more until it was gone, but for this I will make an exception.

Finished this a week or so ago. Was very thoroughly impressed, especially considering it as a debut novel. I really can't wait to see how the world develops.

I really dig the magic systems, especially the animosity between them, Old vs. new, always a fun struggle to watch.

Pole was obviously the best character, really hope we get POVs of her in the next books. Olem was the next best side kick, and the Cook was hilarious. Although

Him being an actual god is pretty crazy.

I hope we see some nifty knacks in Crimson Campaign also. I feel there's a lot of potential for cool stuff there.

I was also lucky to be a Beta reader for his novella he's been working on, Forsworn, I guess he's done a couple so far. This one is back story on Tamas' wife, Erika. Was pretty cool to be a beta reader, never done that before. Good writing all around though, and can't wait to go see him when he comes to my hometown in the spring for 'the Crimson Campaign'.

Finished this a week or so ago. Was very thoroughly impressed, especially considering it as a debut novel. I really can't wait to see how the world develops.

I really dig the magic systems, especially the animosity between them, Old vs. new, always a fun struggle to watch.

Pole was obviously the best character, really hope we get POVs of her in the next books. Olem was the next best side kick, and the Cook was hilarious. Although

Him being an actual god is pretty crazy.

I hope we see some nifty knacks in Crimson Campaign also. I feel there's a lot of potential for cool stuff there.

I was also lucky to be a Beta reader for his novella he's been working on, Forsworn, I guess he's done a couple so far. This one is back story on Tamas' wife, Erika. Was pretty cool to be a beta reader, never done that before. Good writing all around though, and can't wait to go see him when he comes to my hometown in the spring for 'the Crimson Campaign'.

Woah cool.  I see that Forsworn is out now, I hope it's as good as Hope's End, that one is awesome.  When I got my book signed in November at the Mentor Barnes and Nobel he said he'd definable have a release signing even there for CC. Tho as a beta reader you probably have a better idea about that than me.   He's super nice!

Mentor, huh? XD

I don't know if there are any definite dates but he did say he will be back after his book comes out in spring, and the release is early May right now, so I hope he comes back to Mentor! Lemme know if you go to the Barnes and Nobles if he comes, that'd be cool to meet up with a Sharder in real life.

I picked up this book early today and am in the middle of the fifth chapter, I'm really liking the tidbits of the world given and all the characters seem likeable enough in there own way. I forget who was promoting it on twitter, but I'm glad I bought it when I saw it being talked about.

• 2 months later...

I do expect there to eventually be side-effects probably coupled with his rehabilitation after the end of Book 1.  However, I think you are all getting the correct and intended reaction to his obvious addiction.  Taniel knows he's using too much and in the wrong way, those around him discourage it, but he's so damnation good he can't afford to stop.  During the climax of the book when he performs an amazing feat he mentions that he's right on the edge of Powder-Blindness.  I think we're meant to feel disturbed by how deluded he is in his addiction.  The fact that he's snorting it is meant to evoke cocaine abuse.  I think for the first book it was fine to take him to the edge without bogging down the character with the inevitable side effects.

He's in that 'I will stop once this stressful stuff is over'-stage. 'And when my father finally tells me he loves me and is proud of me.'

I've met some docs who said they'd stop drinking alcohol once that internship with the 48  hours shifts was over. It's a typical self-delusion.

Edited by Gabriele