Theory: Dalinar's Boon Was To Forget (Warning: Baseless Speculation)

Adamir

Looking at the beginning of this topic when:

Thanks. In that case, might I request no one else respond to this topic, unless you have something extraordinarily meaningful to add to the conversation? Theory proven wrong, how about we let it die?

:D How long have you been here? You should have known better than to ask people on the 17TH SHARD to let a theory die. :D

Oh, and kaellok I'm sorry about that down vote to your post above. Meant to upvote it, but the precision on my iPod is really bad and I can't undo it. Sorry :(

Edited by The Honor Spren

"Can Shardholders bear mortal(ish) children" is one of the first questions on my personal list. I'm still working on a way to phrase it that will avoid ambiguous answers. Frankly, direct shardic intervention seems capable of just about anything, so on balance I would assume the default answer is yes, especially in the case of the Shard meant to cultivate things.

I suppose it's possible Shshshsh's identity isn't actually important, but at this point it's been built up so much that "oh she's just some nameless pretty foreigner" feels like it would be a let-down.

Seems like a reasonable assumption though why would Cultivation suddenly decide to marry and have children is lost to me. I believe the story of Shshshsh being Shalash is more plausible as it does make sense that, after being completely disillusioned about life, she made the bold move to have a family.... which she gave up when the first sign of an upcoming Desolation started to appear in order to protect her young sons. It would also explain why she seemed so unstable and other Heralds though she was getting worst: she gave up her children! This would not be a bad plot point and it would reconcile me with having to read her POV instead of her son.

We know next to nothing of Shshshshsh.... We know Navani thought her calm, likable and dumb, a judgment I refrain myself from putting too much faith in as Navani has the tendency to see anyone not interested in the working of fabrials as dumb... We also know she made the drawings for Adolin's Plate and Shallan approved of them which indicates a potential talent towards arts: very consistent with Shalash, the Herald of Lightweaving.

Is she important? I dunno. I could see why she would be, but there is danger in making everything too coincidental... but it would explain why Zahel took interest in the Kohlin kids. I suspect he knew about Renarin as he knew about Kaladin. Adolin? Probably out of pity. The boy is not a Radiant: he'll die in the upcoming Desolation. His only chance of survival is skill. I bet Zahel knew that. 

• 1 month later...

Another theory, but the more I think about it doesnt sound likely....

His boon was the ability to protect his family via his battle prowess. Truly become "blackthorn."  The thrill overtakes him so much that he almost has a supernatural ability that no other man possesses. Shows when he matches muscles with the chasmfiend...etc.

But the curse was him forgetting his wife completely. So in his effort to wanting to protect his family...he loses complete memory of his wife.

Again -- I know he was the blackthorn before his wife died, but what if he truly wanted to live up to the hype...

Feel free to tear this apart!!!

Edited by Tri

• 2 weeks later...

His boon was the ability to protect his family via his battle prowess. Truly become "blackthorn."  The thrill overtakes him so much that he almost has a supernatural ability that no other man possesses. Shows when he matches muscles with the chasmfiend...etc.

But the curse was him forgetting his wife completely. So in his effort to wanting to protect his family...he loses complete memory of his wife.

Again -- I know he was the blackthorn before his wife died, but what if he truly wanted to live up to the hype...

Okay, I'll try to tear this apart. There are mainly two points:

1) Gavilar died and Dalinar was not capable of protecting him.

2) People often say, that Dalinar is weaker than the Blackthorn he was before.

My personal theory is, that Dalinar asked for Strategic or Tactical skill. In his early days he never seemed to be a good tactican, he only fought like a wild axehound. Later he seemed more like the calm, planning General.

Well, as you said, he was the Blackthorn before he went to the Nightwatcher, so it kinds of kill the theory to begin with don't you think? However, I've got another one that is more inline with your thoughts...

Shshshshsh died a brutal death. It could one of the kids was a witness or the grim truth was harsh on them... In any advent, Dalinar asked to have the memory of his wife's cause of death to be erase, completely, in order to protect his young sons from the truth. As a result, he forgot everything about her...

I am not too keen on it because the boon and the curse end up being about "forgetting" and it seems to violate the general idea of how the Nightwatcher proceeds, but it is closer to your personal assumption and it is inline with the timeline.

Also, we have no idea what manner of abilities the other Heralds possess. Perhaps there is some skill Shallash could use to change her own appearance, and to bear children matching her persona. With the tiny, tiny little bit we know about Heralds, it cannot actually be ruled out. Note: I don't personally think it was Shallash, though from he phrasing of Zahel's sentence I'm not ruling out a Herald.

Perhaps Battar, the Truthwatcher's patron might be more apt?

My personal theory is, that Dalinar asked for Strategic or Tactical skill. In his early days he never seemed to be a good tactican, he only fought like a wild axehound. Later he seemed more like the calm, planning General.

I like this idea, though my own personal take is that Dalinar's strategic skill developed from his bond with the Stormfather. The Bondsmiths were "pious/guiding" after all, and strategic skill seems like a neat gift, like Shallan's Memories.

• 1 month later...

Ok so love his books, have not read all of them yet but intend to. I have come here every once and awhile to read stuff and had a though on this topic, well not on the op's topic but who Dalinar's wife was. What if she was Vivenna, who followed vasher to Roshar, fell in love with Dalinar, had his children, and that's why he trains them. Just a though and probably completly wrong hah!

Ok so love his books, have not read all of them yet but intend to. I have come here every once and awhile to read stuff and had a though on this topic, well not on the op's topic but who Dalinar's wife was. What if she was Vivenna, who followed vasher to Roshar, fell in love with Dalinar, had his children, and that's why he trains them. Just a though and probably completly wrong hah!

Beat me to the punch by a few hours SMH

Ha! I had the same thought when I saw that quote from Rasher! Navani thinking Dalinar´s wife was dumb supports the theory!

I don´t think it´s like that anyway...

I always thought he asked to forget his wife, but maybe because she betrayed him, or something nasty happened. I´m 80% sure the books never say what happened to Shshshs

• Chaos locked this topic