Slowswift

So I've seen a storming ton (read: two) of threads about names: what's your first name, what would you rather be named, etc. I figured I'd jump on the bandwagon and start a thread about what your favorite names are.

For male names, my favorites are Fred and George (I wonder why  :ph34r:). Also Biblical names (Peter, James, Luke, for example) are awesome.

Female, for some reason seasonal names strike me as really cool. Also Emma. For some reason I really like that name... and it has nothing to do whatsoever with the fact that I happen to really like a girl named that.

Well then. How about you?

Edited by Slowswift

Today I talked to a guy who really likes the name Cholula for either boys or girls. And I have to say, I'm inclined to agree. 

Perhaps because of biased egotism my favorite boy name is my own, Jared. But I'm also fond of a lot of others, including Sebastian and Lyall. A few girl names I like are Matilda, Kaitlyn, Fern, Isobel, Jezebel, all of my sister's names, and Danielle. (The latter I eventually learned was the name of another Sharder I'm on excellent terms with, so that's an added bonus to it.)

Overall though I'm fond of pretty much any name, as long as it's not something as objectively horrid as Britanic Jerald Jansink or Eustace Clarence Scrubb.

So I recently named my teddy Kfir which means 'young lion'. I think that's a pretty hot name (especially since the r is rolled). Plus irony in calling a teddy that.

I'm also a fan of the names Seth (unrelated to Szeth O_o), and......I've totally gone blank. I did go through stages where every female character I wrote was named either Eleanor or Amelia, every guy was Seth or Sebastian or some mixed up fantasy jumble of sounds that I thought sounded cool at the time.

Well, funnily enough, i've been searching for baby names all day. My wife is due December and we can't decide on names. 

I like strange names, something that not many other people have.

Boy:

Enzo

Lake

Winter

Girl:

Selene

Francesca

Suki

My wife drifts between outlandish and classical names, but so far we have been unable to decide on one.

I remember reading somewhere that, apparently, people go up to George R R Martin a lot and tell him they're naming their kids after his characters.

I hope to Celestia that I live long enough to see a whole generation of Daenery's, Joffrey's, Vasher's and Stick's.

The best names are Mia and Jenna. I love those names so much. I totally haven't been interested in a girl for being named that. That would be silly and vain...  :ph34r:

Other female names I love would be Emma, Zoey, Evie (or any variant of spelling of Evelyn), and Medora.

I have a very hard time finding male names I actually like, though. It's a bit weird.

My favorite name ever is James. I'm not sure what it is about it; I just love it. Other male names I'm rather a fan of include Alan, Karl, Stuart, Elliot, Jesse, David, Liam, Isaac, and Colin. But there are many, many more.

And Eric, I have the opposite problem. There aren't any female names I really like. There are ones I don't mind (Beth, Evelyn, Alice, Isabelle), but there aren't any that I really like. It's a pain.

As an addition to this topic, there are two middles names I adore. Ainsley and Ramsay. Both for boys (at least, Ramsay for sure; Ainsley could work for a girl). Those have roots in my family history. They're both Scottish, and Ramsay is from my dad's side and Ainsley is from my mom's. I like the idea of using family history for middle names. It's a good way to connect a person to the past and remind them where they come from. But that might be because my middle name is inherited from my mom and my sisters' middles names are my grandmothers' first names. I sort of really like family history and genealogy. :)

The best names are Mia and Jenna. I love those names so much. I totally haven't been interested in a girl for being named that. That would be silly and vain...  :ph34r:

Other female names I love would be Emma, Zoey, Evie (or any variant of spelling of Evelyn), and Medora.

I have a very hard time finding male names I actually like, though. It's a bit weird.

It is not weird, it IS harder to find a good male name... Took me forever to figure out how to call my son... I recall going endlessly through the list of names and thinking: "No, not that, nope, nice name, but no." 

I know many RL people have a harder time with male name than with female. It seems there are much less male names around... or so it seems for me. 

It is not weird, it IS harder to find a good male name... Took me forever to figure out how to call my son... I recall going endlessly through the list of names and thinking: "No, not that, nope, nice name, but no." 

I know many RL people have a harder time with male name than with female. It seems there are much less male names around... or so it seems for me.

Yeah. I'm kind of banking on the person I marry knowing how to name boys, and I'll just name girls ;) 

Yeah. I'm kind of banking on the person I marry knowing how to name boys, and I'll just name girls ;)

My husband had called the right to name our second daughter should we ever get one. I have absolutely no say whatsoever into it  :ph34r:There was no possible discussion to be had and we were not going through the names list again, though he asked to go through it for our son...

We had to reach number 100 in terms of popularity (over here in Quebec) before we could both say YES. That's a nice name. Hard call naming a baby boy... It seems they all have the same name or whichever name you end up liking, oh gee we already know one...

My husband had called the right to name our second daughter should we ever get one. I have absolutely no say whatsoever into it  :ph34r:There was no possible discussion to be had and we were not going through the names list again, though he asked to go through it for our son...

We had to reach number 100 in terms of popularity (over here in Quebec) before we could both say YES. That's a nice name. Hard call naming a baby boy... It seems they all have the same name or whichever name you end up liking, oh gee we already know one...

Well I'd like my wife to be pretty sold on Mia or Jenna, but I would probably be pretty insistent and/or endlessly bother her about it :P

I remember reading somewhere that, apparently, people go up to George R R Martin a lot and tell him they're naming their kids after his characters.

I hope to Celestia that I live long enough to see a whole generation of Daenery's, Joffrey's, Vasher's and Stick's.

Shallan and Vivenna are actually really pretty girl's names, come to think of it. And Kaladin even has a "normal-sounding" nickname in canon!

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

Well I'd like my wife to be pretty sold on Mia or Jenna, but I would probably be pretty insistent and/or endlessly bother her about it :P

I like Mia. It's a cute name and it reads well in French  :ph34r:

Honestly, I could spend hours on familysearch looking through my family tree for name inspiration. :)

Boy names: Olsen, Edmund, Percy, Helaman, Finn

Girl names: Maren, Sabry

I see I'm the odd one out, haha. I've always had trouble with girl names ^.^' 

Maren is an awesome name. I really like it. I have a cousin named Maren... And another named Joanna. I like that one too.

I am partial to the name Naomi, myself. That and Autumn for some reason.

Edit: Eowyn, you do Familysearch too?  :o  Guess I shouldn't be too surprised... after all, you are LDS too.  :D

AH, FamilySearch. Me too. The cool names one can find while indexing...