Knowledge of Womans script.

So I was going through www.isaacstewart.com looking for a High resolution piece of art for the background on my new phone I noticed something.

http://isaacstewart.com/images/wok/tWoK_NAVANI-2-webres.jpg

http://isaacstewart.com/images/wok/tWoK_NAVANI-1-webres.jpg

These were supposed to be Navani's notes right? So then the lines here in places that I would put writing should be the woman's script of books in the Stormlight Archive. And we know that brandon dose enjoy putting in world stuff in things like this so wouldn't it be possible that these are in world notes of Navani's... On Fabriel?

That would be something I would enjoy reading.

Edited by Lord Tavash Shar

damnation i almost regret buying the audio version....

Fear not!  All of the illustrations are available at Brandon's web site.  Just select any individual title from the "Books" menu at the top, then look in the right-hand column for "<book name> Maps and Illustrations."   For example, here are the illustrations from The Way of Kings.

Alethi is completely based around the English spelling.

This is only partially true. While Navani's writings are directly transliterated from English spelling, the mirrored text seen behind some of Shallan's pages (taken from Jasnah's notebook) contain words with alternative, more phonetic spellings, suggesting that Alethi writing probably does not have standardized spelling yet. See this thread for details.

I don't really see a problem in that.

The problem is that vorinism loves simetry, especialy in words, so it would be expected that its primary script would reflect that simetry by having one letter for each phoneme and each phoneme being represented by only one letter. English is... not like that at all.

Maybe I am judging english to harshly, since it is not my native tongue, but you must admit that it is just plain weird at times.

But to be fair, I doubt any written language is like that.

Edited by CognitivePulsePattern

To be clear, the samples of Alethi script we have are not writing Alethi words. So, if Shallan were to write something about Bridge Four, in-world she would write it as "Vev Gesheh," but if we got that notebook page reproduced in our book, Nazh or someone else doing the compiling of these documents would supposedly have translated those words into English, then transliterated them back into the Alethi script to give the feeling of the culture while also making the content accessible.

At least, that is my understanding of the (rather convoluted) in-world explanation for why we let Isaac develop at least two really cool writing systems without having to make up the entire language(s) spoken on Roshar. (Plus, it would be a whole lot less accessible for us fans to decipher with limited clues if we had to come up with phonemes and cognates together.)

• Chaos locked this topic