The Lord Ruler had children

Chaos

Um... I hate to burst everybody's bubble, but the kandra called TLR their father. Perhaps this is what he was referring to.

I guess a few COULD have been his children. But arent we told tht they are his friends that he tried to save after he became the Sliver, by turning them into mistwraiths/kandra/slaves? Maybe Im just confused. Unless you meant the kandra called him father because he created them. Then yes, in a more reverent( as opposed to the biological) sense, they are his children.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

Also, he turned all Feruchemists into mistwraiths, and they pretty much lost all memory except for the First Generation, which were his friends. They call him the father because he created them and all the contract stuff iirc, which also explains why TenSoon was justified in calling Vin the mother.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a slightly older thread- but, I can't seem to find anything regarding his "plan to give up the FE"... what is the prevailing theory regarding this? Did I totally miss something while reading? what was written in the book @ the signing?

Thanks all!

right- but... thats the only anything that i've seen about a "plot" from TLR to give up the FE.... i can't find anything else. where did said questioner get the idea that there was a plot in the first place?

It was written in my copy of Alloy of Law at the release party.  

I asked Brandon to tell us something about the Lord Ruler that we didn't already know.  

He said: "The Lord Ruler once gave up and tried to end the Final Empire."

I'd forgotten that his giving up extended beyond just him ruling, and included ending his empire.  

Also interesting, Isaac also signed my book, and wrote: "Remember Hammondar Bay".  I wonder what the significance of that will be for future Alloy Era books...

Searched the ebooks for both The Alloy of Law and Shadows of Self, and it turns out Hammondar Bay is mentioned exactly once, in passing - Winsting feels a breeze he notices is coming from Hammondar Bay, "a couple of miles to the west." And that's it. No mentions in The Alloy of Law (where Ham receives absolutely no love), no other mentions in Shadows of Self, and the only other tributes to Ham are a mention of "Hammondar Promenade" and "a Hammondess scion," one each. Searching for "bay" didn't result in anything useful either.

All in all, the most interesting piece of information that came from this little research project is the knowledge that I am incapable of spelling Hammondar correctly, not until I've misspelled it as Hammonday...

It's the bay Elendel is built around, and the gateway from the city to the Sea of Yomend.  Also, it's named after Ham.  

That's about all I know about it.  Others feel free to chime in.

Wait. YOMENd?!? I don't know what this means, but I don't think it's a simple Easter Egg.

Spook named all the places after people.

Yomend Sea

Rashekin

Alendel

Marewill Flower

Elendel

Vinuarch

Hammondar Bay

Demoux Promenade

Doxonar

Something to do with Tindwyl that I can't find at the moment.

Some were named after places, too:

Tathingdwel

Seran Range & New Seran

Channerel Range

Tyrian Sea

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I tried looking in this thread and didn't find it, so if I missed it I am sorry, but do we know if he had this child before or after his ascension? The subsequent WoB made me feel like it was a kid Rashek had back as a terrisman, so the child had no intrinsic broken abilities of itself. Storms, it might not even have been a feruchemist. So the gene pool is there, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything in the grand scheme of things. 

Well, we now know that his children were tied to his decision to give up TFE earlier on, so probably after Ascension. Who else feels like Brandon is making this up as he goes along?  :P

Edited by Onceler

Well, we now know that his children were tied to his decision to give up TFE earlier on, so probably after Ascension. Who else feels like Brandon is making this up as he goes along?  :P

Generally that's what you do when you write a book series.  :ph34r:

jW

Not necessarily. He could have had the children, ascended, the children grow up, maybe have a family of their own, the children notice Rashek isn't acting like Rashek anymore (Ruin's influence), complain, heated fight, he kills them, regrets it, and begins to question all he has done with the final empire. Meanwhile his grandkids, hidden away (and maybe even convinced the Lord Ruler they too are dead) so as not to end up like their parents grow up elsewhere, and propagate. The Lord Ruler still influenced by Ruin and Preservation convinces himself that a never ending tyranny is actually still a good idea, and continues. Meanwhile his descendants continue in the background all the way to the alloy of law era. 

Not necessarily. He could have had the children, ascended, the children grow up, maybe have a family of their own, the children notice Rashek isn't acting like Rashek anymore (Ruin's influence), complain, heated fight, he kills them, regrets it, and begins to question all he has done with the final empire. Meanwhile his grandkids, hidden away (and maybe even convinced the Lord Ruler they too are dead) so as not to end up like their parents grow up elsewhere, and propagate. The Lord Ruler still influenced by Ruin and Preservation convinces himself that a never ending tyranny is actually still a good idea, and continues. Meanwhile his descendants continue in the background all the way to the alloy of law era.

And in this scenario, are his descendants named Sazed, Wax, and Wayne?