Whovians unite!

Favorite Doctor: Eleventh. But I hope Twelfth will surpass him(at least for me) because I see much more potential in Capaldi's Doctor.

Favorite Companions: Jack, Rory, Martha, Amy. In that order.
From stuff I've read on internet people love Amy because she's not in love with Doctor, but that's not my case as I never completely bought that so whole no romantic relationship between her and Doctor has been a bit annoying for me. Don't get me wrong, I prefer no romantic relationship between Doctor and his companion/s, but I never felt as much chemistry between Amy and Rory as between Amy and Eleventh so there's that. Another problem I have with Amy is that she's least companion material personality wise. Not as useful as others and I felt humanity-is-a-master-species vibe a lot more from her than any other companion. So why is she still my favorite? Because she was there when show was at it best(in my opinion).
I liked Martha a lot because she was truthful, brave, open minded and fun. Simple as that.
Rory and Jack don't need any explanation I think. Wish there were more of them or at least more male companions that good. I hope someday we'll get male main companion and have some kind of brotherly or father-son/teacher-apprentice kinda relationship.

Least favorite Companions: Donna Noble and Clara Oswald.
Fourth season was my least favorite season so I don't really care much about Donna. Even if she's a good Companion I didn't enjoy it as much as others that's all.
As for Clara, I loved first two versions of her. One that ended up being Companion though... She's cute, that's all. And cute isn't my thing to say the least.

I notice that folks are sharing 2 new categories since my previous post: Least Favorite Companion and Suggested Companions. Must chime in, because the "classic" series had some seriously lame companions IMO.

Least Favorite Companion: It would have to be the hyper-annoying Tegan Jovanka, though Adric and Nyssa of Traken are close 2nds, and don't even get me started on Vislor Turlough. (Yukk, I can hear Tegan saying Turlough's name even now ... make it stop!) All these were in the show during Doctor #5's tenure, and actually caused me to stop watching for a while. (Apologies to the Shard-er who said #5 was your favorite - it was the companions I disliked, not the Doctor.) It probably didn't help that, up to that time, we'd had a string of great companions: Sarah Jane Smith, K-9, Leela, and Romanas I & II.

Suggested Companions: I love the suggestion of an older Chinese woman as a companion!  :D  And breaking away from the pattern of "the Doctor and the girl" is a good idea, though from the list on Wikipedia it looks like there have been several male companions on the new show?? ... but maybe they've been short-lived characters instead of 1-2 years at a time like the guys in the classic show? I'd like to see another historic male character, like Jaime (Doctor #2), maybe someone from ancient Egypt, an Etruscan or Minoan character, or an Abassid scientiist - those could provide some really interesting points of view.  :)  Aliens and Americans are also great suggestions. There were actually several "alien" companions in the classic series, though they all looked human (I imagine both due to budget & the fact it was truly more a young children's show then). Doctors 5-6 had an American companion named Perpugilliam Brown, but it was really disappointing that they didn't use a US actress for the part: the "American" accent wasn't very good. If they have an American companion, they should cast someone actually from the US.

Edited by old aggie

Wait.

You know who I just realized I want as a companion?

Alfie. Craig and Sophie's son. Would he continue to call others "peasants"? Would the Doctor call him Stormageddon, and would it confuse Alfie...or trigger a memory? :ph34r:

THIS NEEDS TO BE A THING.

Have you seen the thing where somebody suggested they meet again and cast Alfie as Tom Hiddleston?

No, but if you could provide a link to the thing, I'd be much obliged. :ph34r:

If I ever find the pic, I'll show you. :ph34r:

EDIT: Found it! Google search for "doctor who alfie tom hiddleston" yielded the following:

f40740f9ad8c78b8e31a2e3a43d8b64f.jpg

Edited by Slowswift

Who gets ya hyped.

I said, "Who gets ya hyped!"

e60714e080ed99884c3705090d758573.jpg

In seriousness, I like the look of this trailer. My one fear is that the fast-paced, cinematic way it's presented is hinting at another season like Season 8, which I wasn't quite fond of, but I'm not afraid to be optimistic.

I mean, Missy is coming back. How bad could it be? :D

Who do you think the girl at the end of the trailer was? My bet is Susan from the First Doctor's run. :ph34r:

I forget what she is called, but one of David Tennant's episodes ended with a girl regenerating and flying off into space, sort of a half clone, half daughter of the Doctor.

I wonder if it could be her. I hope so.

Either that, or the Doctor took a wrong turn and ended up in Westeros.

Edited by Bort

Is anybody here a fan of Big Finish's Doctor Who audioplay?

_My favorite is 8th Doctor with Lucie Miller - follow by 6th/Evelyn Smythe.

_Favorite adversary: Dalek Time Controller (Beware though because audiobook is mainly for adult, the Dalek here are rightly feared: utter ruthless, no more hammy stuff like Explain!, in one case our DTC just outright murder a Companion without posturing or negotiating anything.)

_Favorite music: the alternate 8th Doctor intro:

_Favorite episode: Arrangements for War, follow closely by ...ish (if only one of Brandon Sanderson story got adopted into a full audio play like this calibre, audioplay's adaptation is good but compared to BF's audio it still leaves a lot to be desired).

Edited by vietnamabc

• 2 weeks later...

I forget what she is called, but one of David Tennant's episodes ended with a girl regenerating and flying off into space, sort of a half clone, half daughter of the Doctor.

I wonder if it could be her. I hope so.

That was from the Doctor's Daughter, wasn't it? I don't know if she would pop up again, she's kind of forgotten, it seems. :(

That was from the Doctor's Daughter, wasn't it? I don't know if she would pop up again, she's kind of forgotten, it seems. :(

Jenny? Yeah, seems to be.

Which is strange because she is a Big Deal, and I'm sure I read somewhere that she lived because Moffat wanted her too...so one would assume he had some plan for the character...

Which is strange because she is a Big Deal, and I'm sure I read somewhere that she lived because Moffat wanted her too...so one would assume he had some plan for the character...

The odd thing is that she didn't "regenerate" per say, just kind of came back to life. And you would think if Moffat was going to do something with her, it would have happened already.

I've read before that the Moff didn't have any particular plans--he was just friends with the writer, and thought having her regenerate would make for a better ending.

Any way, if you don't mind potential Season 9 spoilers you fellas might be interested in this article. Maise Williams gives some vague info on whether or not her character is a returning character.

(Don't mouse over the link if you don't want to read the article--the title says it all.)

Any way, if you don't mind potential Season 9 spoilers you fellas might be interested in this article. Maise Williams gives some vague info on whether or not her character is a returning character.

(Don't mouse over the link if you don't want to read the article--the title says it all.)

That's what I thought...

...they probably couldn't afford to hire her anyway :P

I've read before that the Moff didn't have any particular plans--he was just friends with the writer, and thought having her regenerate would make for a better ending.

That's what I thought...

...they probably couldn't afford to hire her anyway :P

“Once you see what she’s up to you’ll appreciate what a clever idea [the role] was. It’s a significant role, we’re not just throwing her away. It’s a great part and she’s terrific in it.

Moffat had an idea for a fantastic character and it just gelled.

Don't strain yourself patting yourself on the back, Steven... 

Okay, but seriously... eh. I kinda expected her to not be a returning character. I guess that, at best, she's someone who Capaldi ran into off-screen or something.

Edited by Quiver