Honorspren

Mailliw73

We know as much about honorspren as is in TWoK. Their origin is unknown, although some of us think that it makes sense that they predate the other spren because there were Radiants before Honor was Splintered.

I have no idea what you're asking for the last one. Do you mean how do they bond? I mean, the following is pretty self-explanatory. Syl can fly.

I don't think there's a definitive answer to that yet, but from I've read of WoK and Q&A's, doing the appropriate honorable act around the appropriate spren is how it works. So, Kaladin happened to "protect" around windspren, and attracted Syl. I can't find the quote, but I think Brandon said something along the lines of only certain spren having the capability to become honorspren. My assumption is that only spren of the ten essences can form the Nahel bond to create Radiants. So Windrunners are all bonded with windspren that became honorspren.

So in Kaladin and Syl's case, Kaladin first attracted Syl in Amaram's army. Since Kaladin continued to "protect those who cannot protect themselves", she continued to stay with him and strengthened their bond. Had Kaladin given up or gone on a killing rampage or something, Syl probably would have left him. I'm guessing the Nahel bond stays as long as the person honors the Oaths.

According to Soru on the Something Awful Forums

I went to a Sanderson book signing today and whether spren existed before (Way of Kings ending spoiler) Odium killed the Almighty and shattered the Honor shard. His answer was that some of the spren existed, but some were different, and new ones existed after it.

I honestly have no idea if this is already well known or not as far as Cosmere-ology goes but it was fun, and he was basically the nicest guy ever.

Edited by Phantom Monstrosity

According to Soru on the Something Awful Forums

So I was partially right! Spren did exist before Honor was shattered but some new ones came about after the shattering and some pre-existing spren changed..... Hmm. Very interesting.

I think its possible the nature of surgebinding changed after honor died. Perhaps honorspren didn't exist until after the shattering. Somehow, I think this all ties into stormlight and the highstorms too. I don't think highstorms infused gems with stormlight until after Honor was shattered.

I went to a Sanderson book signing today and whether spren existed before (Way of Kings ending spoiler) Odium killed the Almighty and shattered the Honor shard. His answer was that some of the spren existed, but some were different, and new ones existed after it.

I honestly have no idea if this is already well known or not as far as Cosmere-ology goes but it was fun, and he was basically the nicest guy ever.

This is very interesting and would seem to confirm a number of things. Seems to suggest that Spren origionally came from honour. That is, he deliberately created the original spren, then he was splintered and became even more forms of spren.

So I was partially right! Spren did exist before Honor was shattered but some new ones came about after the shattering and some pre-existing spren changed..... Hmm. Very interesting.

I think its possible the nature of surgebinding changed after honor died. Perhaps honorspren didn't exist until after the shattering. Somehow, I think this all ties into stormlight and the highstorms too. I don't think highstorms infused gems with stormlight until after Honor was shattered.

Honourspren, I think must have existed before Honor got splintered. Firstly as Syl remembers being bound to men before (the last Radients had powers before Honor was splintered). Secondly Nohadon talks about Honourspren in the vision.

I think the opposite must be the case; Spren representing the 10 essences were created by Honour deliberately in the past and these were capable of forming bonds and creating the original Surgebinders. Then, when Honour was killed, he splintred and (either by will or by accident) became all the other forms of spren (ones not capable of forming bonds but that can be used in Fabrials)

even if this is true, it doesn't really explain Honourspren since we know from the Nohadon vision that Surgebinders could be bound to other types than Honorspren (not all types of spren are as discerning as honorspren). The only thng I could think of is that maybe honourspren were the first created??? I don't know...

On the Gems... I think gems could certainly be infused This post has been reported for attempting to skirt the rules stormlight before Honor's death. The midnight essence vision has one of the radients using infused gems to perform healing. Also, shardplate seems designed to have infused gems placed in it (although I admit that this a current subject of some debate).

EDIT:

...but some were different, and new ones existed after it.

emphasis mine

Did this cause the original spren to forget themselves? That could be why there has been no surgebinders since the Recreance...

Edited by MadRand

• 3 months later...

Other than the presumption that all of scenes seen in Dalinar's visions occurred prior to Honor's death (based on the idea that Honor prepared the packet of visions in view of his impending death), do we know for sure that all the scenes occurred before his death?

We don't know for sure, there is only this quote that implies most of the stuff we see in the visions happened before Tanavast died (which may have been a different moment from when Honor shattered). “Most of what I show you are scenes I have seen directly.” from the Top Room chapter.

Did this cause the original spren to forget themselves? That could be why there has been no surgebinders since the Recreance...

I think that in the absence of the Nahel bond, Syl forgot herself.  When the original radiants renounced their oaths, the bond would have dissolved and the Honorspren presumably all forgot themselves.  Syl gets cognitive abilities from Kaladin through the bond.   

I also assume that this varies by spren type.  The Cryptics are presumably more inherently cognitive, and remember more/retain more personality.  Jasnah might even be able get information from her spren, assuming it is more cognitively strong.  My underlying assumption is that Syl is spiritually strong and cognitively weak.  There may also be a physical element involved in comparing spren. 

Regarding Cryptics, do we actually know that they use a Nahel bond? It's something I see bandied around a lot, but something about the interactions we've seen isn't sitting right with me. They don't seem to have bonded with Shallan, and there's always a lot of them (rather than the one-on-one thing Syl and Kaladin have)

• Chaos locked this topic