Facepalm-worthy Moments during Readings

Patrick Star

In Mistborn, I just kept pronouncing Kelsier "Kel-See-Er" instead of "Kel-See-Ey", so it wasn't very french of me. Got Demoux right, though ;)

I kept pronouncing Demoux and Renoux as Dem-Ocks and Ren-Ocks. I have a feeling I'm making Sanderson cry whenever I alter the pronounciation

I had no idea Scadrial had French pronunciations until after I finished the trilogy.

It does? Gee... I am French... I never noticed  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow: Funny... Spook in French would pronounce like Spock in Star Trek with a long o... we don't do double o in French... Weird. Elend in French sounds like huh... elk  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

• 3 months later...

I had,(well, have) no idea how to pronounce the names of half the cosmere characters.

You're up to 50%? I gave up long ago. I am 100% sure I am mispronouncing 99% of the names.

I had no idea Scadrial had French pronunciations until after I finished the trilogy.

In Mistborn, I just kept pronouncing Kelsier "Kel-See-Er" instead of "Kel-See-Ey", so it wasn't very french of me. Got Demoux right, though ;)

I kept pronouncing Demoux and Renoux as Dem-Ocks and Ren-Ocks. I have a feeling I'm making Sanderson cry whenever I alter the pronounciation

It does? Gee... I am French... I never noticed :mellow::mellow::mellow: Funny... Spook in French would pronounce like Spock in Star Trek with a long o... we don't do double o in French... Weird. Elend in French sounds like huh... elk :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I think Brandon mentioned that there were german-like pronunciations, as well.

Ummmm, folks..... I don't read the physical books. I listen to the audiobooks, you might try listening to some of the free samples available on sites like Audible.com

Whenever I write out Kaladin I am constantly trying to add an "h" to it because to my ears that is how the narrators pronounce his name.

I am fairly certain that Kelsier is pronounced in the audiobooks with an r ("errr") sound at the end

This also helps IMMENSELY with Patrick Rothfuss's protagonist's name (NO I am not going to try to spell it)

Edited by michaelmj11

I also listen to the audiobook version, but I would say that the narrators have got this one wrong. The " r" is silent because of the french connection.

It was just the other day that JK Rowling confirmed on twitter that Voldemort should be a silent "t" owing to french pronunciation.

And that was after 8 movies were made with the wrong pronounciation!!

Edited by axcellence

Well darn here I was supposing that the authors would have input on inflection, nuance, pronunciations, etc.

Now I am going to have to hunt for an answer to this.

I HAVE read where Patrick Rothfuss got his narrators to pronounce the name correctly.

Edited by michaelmj11

It does? Gee... I am French... I never noticed  :mellow:  :mellow:  :mellow: Funny... Spook in French would pronounce like Spock in Star Trek with a long o... we don't do double o in French... Weird. Elend in French sounds like huh... elk  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

The French pronunciations is just for Central dominance names (So Kelsier, Vin, Demoux, etc.).  Spook is just the English translation of his nickname (I'm pretty sure the French translations refer to him as "Spectre").  And the Northern dominance, where Elend and Straff are originally from, uses more Germanic pronunciations so "EE-lend" and "STRAHFF".

The French pronunciations is just for Central dominance names (So Kelsier, Vin, Demoux, etc.).  Spook is just the English translation of his nickname (I'm pretty sure the French translations refer to him as "Spectre").  And the Northern dominance, where Elend and Straff are originally from, uses more Germanic pronunciations so "EE-lend" and "STRAHFF".

Spectre would be an acceptable translation to Spook, though I have not read the French translation so I can't comment on how they named him.

I'm glad Elend is EE-lend and not Élan.... Type Élan in google and click on image... This is my new canon image for Elend   :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:

This is from Mistborn, so I'm going to spoiler tag it.

Don't read it unless you have at least read the Final Empire.

I felt sure Kelsier wasn't really dead. I thought he was going to make some elaborate comeback and last minute save.

And, this also seemed to cause something else, once I had gotten used to Sanderson.

WoR spoiler.

Because of the Mistborn thing, I felt sure that when Jasnah died, she would stay dead.

Wrong on both counts. Oh well.

I almost didnt finish WoK because i felt like jasnah hald every thing together but then i dicided that not finishing it would be a sin so...

Although in german "Straff" would be pronounced "Schtraff" with very short "a" (and besides it does mean taut in english, which one might consider as fitting :-) )

Edited by Atastor

1. This is very close to how I pictured Shard plate, and I was so happy when I found these illustrations confirming it's awesomeness. I did have a short moment of disappointing face palm when I saw other illustrations of it being very similar to boring regular armour, but this makes me happy.

2. As an audio book listener I don't have to question name pronunciations, but it did annoy me at the beginning of WoR when the Thalin accent is changed (presumably after some executive decision) to a more French accent, from the light Irish that had been used for WoK and the first few chapters of WoR. (A negative of listening rather than reading is you have no idea how to spell anything).

Plate probably looks cooler in color, mind.

Plus, it looks a little like normal plate armor in shape, but the joints are perfectly sealed with more plating that is probably fluid-tight, and it snaps into place without being strapped together and then adjusts size to fit perfectly.

If Iron Man wanted to look more medieval he'd probably look like this, I reckon.

I facepalm every time I forget about Thaylen eyebrows looking weird.

1. This is very close to how I pictured Shard plate, and I was so happy when I found these illustrations confirming it's awesomeness. I did have a short moment of disappointing face palm when I saw other illustrations of it being very similar to boring regular armour, but this makes me happy.

2. As an audio book listener I don't have to question name pronunciations, but it did annoy me at the beginning of WoR when the Thalin accent is changed (presumably after some executive decision) to a more French accent, from the light Irish that had been used for WoK and the first few chapters of WoR. (A negative of listening rather than reading is you have no idea how to spell anything).

The accent was always french, from Tvlakv on. At least after half a dozen listens of the audiobook that is how i remember it O.o

Edit: Nvm, i guess Kate changed the accent of the sailors to match how she would talk as Tvlakv and to match Micheal's Thaylen accent.

Edited by Blightsong

• 2 weeks later...

How do you go from EE-lend to the nickname El?  Wouldn't the nickname be Eel? For that reason (and to avoid change) I'm going with EL-end as the pronunciation.   B)