Story Topic

Silus - Shard of Flame

Eerongal

You can't put your finger on it, but there's something decidedly off about this situation. Whether it's the "this shouldn't be happening" fact, or the sudden appearance of a small child on a battlefield is hard to determine. One thing to note, is that her smile is blatantly creepy.

She holds her hands behind her back, rocking her weight from one foot to the other, a somehow predatory grin camping under her dollish eyes.

"Have you seen my bear, Tibbers?"

Something behind you explodes, a fiery force smashing you in the back and nearly off your feet as you struggle to remain upright in spite of the surprise.

"Tibbers!" yells the girl, hopping up and down in glee.

Before you can get your bearings, something strong and covered in flames grips you around the shoulders. The hold is tight, not to mention burning, but you can't help but notice that it's...soft, like a stuffed animal.

damnation, it was a trap!

Acting quickly, i bring both arms up crossed over my chest and release the latches on my pauldrons. As I push myself forward hard to separate both pauldrons and cloak from my breastplate, i charge up my hammer with a cold strike. Bringing myself low, i swing my hammer in an arc, using the momentum to swing myself around and bringing the towards what i hope are legs of the thing behind me.

Whatever you are, you may be big, but lets see how stable you are.

As my hammer comes around, I prepare to follow it's momentum with a roll to the creature's left after it strikes.

Eerongal

The beast is tall, at least ten feet, and not in a skinny way, closer to a rock giant than a bonetree.

It's a massive teddy bear. Stuffing, stitching, the whole thing. But it's built like a tank and literally on fire. Your cold strike hits it in the knee, the impact itself having next to no effect, the icy energy putting on the flames in that area and laying down a thin film of frost which quickly melts. Your momentum is gone, rendering your roll more of a pathetic tumble. You come up on your feet, since the force of impact was absorbed by the monster as opposed to bouncing back into you, which would leave you a shaking mess, but you've put no real distance between yourself and "Tibbers".

It doesn't even notice your attack, throwing aside your scorched pauldrons and burning cape, and roaring his fury.

"Get 'em, Tibbers!" shouts the little girl, waving an exultant finger in your direction, the fires of her pet seeming to radiate from her eyes.

The creature doesn't hesitate, charging at you with a steady gait.

Jay'el

He charges at you, ignoring the Coldfire. Your shots hit him, driving him back with their concussive force. He's in obvious pain. Your fires light up in his clothes, but rather than the grimace of pain you were expecting, he starts to grin. The fire leaves no trace on his clothes, and he stands straight, practically buzzing with energy. He charges at you, his newly found invigoration giving him a burst of moderate speed. His blade glows with fiery energy.

Gods! Movemovemove! I dodge to one side as Thomas' heavy blade comes down in the space I just left. The intense heat knocks me off my feet and burns my hands, forcing me to drop both pistol and dagger. I tap gold, healing my burns, and draw my remaining weapons as I roll away. Coming to my feet, I dash away from Thomas, trying to get some breathing room.

Fire on a fire Form. Great idea, Jay. Think. Combos... Coldfire, Finding, accuracy boosts, charged shots.... Got one.

I summon thousands of pinprick points of Coldfire into the bullet in the chamber. Hope this works... The barrel of my gun glows like a flashlight as I bring it up, stopping to turn and aim at Thomas. He's moved closer, but he's still a good thirty feet from me. I pull the trigger.

Blinding Shot speeds towards Thomas' center of mass, too bright to look at directly for even a split second. My eyes instinctively follow the path of light until they start to water, and I close my eyes against the tears. That was stronger than expected. I hope my eyes are okay, seeing seems important to Spheresmithing

Top was tired. He had travelled late into the night to get to the rendezvous, only to find out the competition had already started. He had claimed an empty room near the end of a hallway, and gone to sleep. Fortunately, he was late on the brackets, so he would have plenty of time to judge the competitions, and get a feel for any particularly strong fighters.

The results of his studying were troubling, to say the least. Though he was assigned to the Glyph Arena, he had seen fights in each of the others. And it seemed that some people would be able to kill him at a glance. One man had beaten his opponent simply by lighting a puddle of alcohol on fire.

The fight Top watches now draws him from his thoughts with a start as a small child summons a large... Teddy bear. It's on fire. Somehow, it doesn't even phase the man it grabs, who jumps immediately into action. With a shake of his head, Top gets up to return to the Glyph room annd watch there once more. If the bear wins, I'll be able to imagine the battle; if the man wins, I'm sure to hear of it anyway... Time to scope out my opponent. hopefully, he'd be in there.

One gunner-type shoots fireballs at some sort of monk, as Top enters, but they appear to only strengthen him. Top shakes his head and scans the area for a likely candidate for his opponent, before realizing that he has no idea who he's looking for. So, he decides to network instead. He sits near a social-sounding guy who's talking non-stop to the man next to him, who doesn't look too pleased. The talking one sonds like he's on the subject of FormSpheres. Top leans in to listen, and when the talker takes a breath, he tactfully interjects: "Not to be rude, but you speak of interesting matters. You wouldn't mind if one more were to join your conversation as well, would you?" He glanced at the quiet one to let him know that the question was directed at him, as well.

Ambrosius

He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. He is STILL talking. "Not to be rude, but you speak of interesting matters. You wouldn't mind if one more were to join your conversation as well, would you?" He is STI-what?

Ambro had been partially asleep with his eyes open. Fighting boredom induced fatigue Ambro turned his head.

I must be slipping, that is yet another person who snuck up on me.

Ambro speaks, "Sure why not," then looks at the arena as Jay's gun starts to glow.

Jack Mckinney

"...Warrior, Gunner, Thief, Black and White Mages, Summoner, Spectre, Misting and Chemist are all the most common formspheres. Several theorists who support the theory that formspheres were originally designed for ancient armies, called the Elder-Arms Theory, state that these forms were created for low ranked grunts and other unique formspheres belonged to officers. Now, the theorists who support the Counter-Elder-Arms Theory-,"

Jack pauses to breath, as he hadn't for the last several sentences.

"Not to be rude, but you speak of interesting matters. You wouldn't mind if one more were to join your conversation as well, would you?"

"-state that there aren't enough spheremounts to equip an entire army, therefore the Elder-Arms Theory is false. Oh, Hi. My name is Jack. You can listen if you want, the more the merrier! I had training as a Defender. Hey, look at that!"

Jack indicates Jay's gun as it starts to glow.

Jay'el

Thomas screams, falling to his knees and dropping his sword. He holds his hands over his eyes, which are streaming with tears. He shifts, his clothes now detailed in blue and white. As he lowers his hands, you can see that his eyes are still dull, still blind. Shift after shift, the blindness persists, until he finally shifts back to baseline, accepting defeat.

You know that the blindness will fade, magic induced conditions are like that, but the victory is still sweet, even if your eyes continue to stream with tears.

"The winner is Jay'el H'ka!" Jezebel smiles in your direction. The crowd cheers. The bridges extend. Thomas starts to crawl back.

"Ambrosius and Veronica Amazon will now come to the Glyph Arena!"

Ambrosius

Ambro rises, eyes still watering from the flash.

Note to self. If something glows, don't look at it directly.

Ambro walks past the still crawling figure of Thomas.

Pushing down a slight twinge of nervousness, Ambro arrives at the start position.

It would be no fun using Geass. I should leave that for later.

Ambro prepares to shift into Atium Misting.

I never had time to scout out my opponent. So many mistakes.

Ambro gets into a ready stance.

I hope the next one doesn't kill me.

Jack Mckinney

"That hurt!" Despite jacks words, his tone indicates enjoyment.

Watching his conversation partner walk away, Jack turns to the other guy.

"Shame you missed most of the match. The guy with the sword was using Warrior. Though with a few modifications. Probably a mount ability." Jack begins moving to the bridge, to await Jay.

"Come, come!" he says over his shoulder.

Edited by Emeralis00

Top finds himself swept up in the wake of the energetic... Chemist, maybe? He could be a Steel or Iron Misting. Top follows along behind. After all, that was the point of joining the fellow. He wonders briefly when his match is, but it's too late to check now without missing everything important. He'll just have to wait and listen for his name. Ughh. He hopes they use the name Top, like he asked them to. The name on his door that morning had most certainly not been funny. He had gouged it out and scratched "Top" into the wood. Hopefully, that wouldn't get him into trouble.

He turns to the talky man: "Jack, if it doesn't bother you for me to ask, I noticed the chain you wear; are you in Form at the moment?" Top wondered how long this man could hold Form. Probably only a few hours. That seemed to be the norm.

Edited by The Frostbourne

I shift back to baseline, smiling, and follow Thomas out of the arena, passing Ambrosius on the way out. "She's very tech-based, not much magic. That's all I was able to learn. Good luck, Ambro," I whisper as I pass him. I don't know who I'm rooting for in this one. I've known Ambro longer, but I like Veronica. She's very down-to-earth. Oh well. Doesn't matter anyway, I've got Sphere work with Tori!

I see Jack chatting with some other man in the crowd, but move out towards the Spheresmithy before I can start talking with him. Another time, Jack. Debts to pay, work to do. Bare minutes later, after passing through Eerongal's match in the Waterfall Cavern -Was that a flaming teddy bear? - I arrive at the Spheresmithy and hit the button that summons someone from the back.

I wonder what Tori will have me doing. Is she even on duty anymore? I should tell her about Blinding Shot. That was far stronger than I expected. Kerr was getting magisteel for some 'weird Grids he wants,' I hope i can see those. Maybe even work on them. Whew. That fight took more out of me than I thought. I even almost got smashed a few times. Lucky, Jay. Tori was working on an Itemizer Grid earlier, I wonder what that does? I want to try and make a Grid, even just a mundane one. Who knows, she might have me do that just to learn something about the tech. I rock back and forth on my heels as I wait for someone to come get me.

Ambrosius

Ambro nods at the information.

It seems someone did my work for me. tech-based, with low magic.

Unfortunately, I lack the formspheres to adjust my strategy.

I have a few words to say to my ancestor about picking formspheres to steal when I die.

Ambro looks to his opponent, who had just entered on the other side of the arena.

Alright. Use Atium to anticipate her opening move. Depending on circumstances, move in or wait for an opening.

Close up, I have three choices. Stake to the chest, glass powder/shards to the face, or shockstick anywhere.

If she charges, use the tripping maneuver. If she interferes with Atium, switch forms.

If she does anything else, apply plan G.

That should be enough planning for now. He who plans for the cliff ahead, trips on the root underfoot.

Ambro stands relaxed, waiting for the match to start.

Jack Mckinney

"Yes. Copper chemist. Its quite useful. I had forgotten I was Memorizing the entire time."

Jack sees Jay leave, looking very hurried.

"He seems very busy. Always rushing. Shame, I wanted to tell him about what he just fought, but.oh well."

Jack turns to his companion.

"Whats your name by the way. My name is Jack, in case I forgot to tell you. I do that sometimes. Like one time when I forgot to tell the captain of the City watch that I was the new Defender and he called my master to arrest me for a spy."

Jack laughs. Good times.

"Oh, wait. you said my name already. Then I guess I must have introduced myself...unless you can read minds!" Jack smiles.

Edited by Emeralis00

"You have introduced yourself already." Copper Chemist? That seems somehow ironic... "He is called Top. Delighted to make your aquaintence, Jack. You seem a social guy; Top was late to the Tournament, and so was unable to meet anyone could you, perhaps, introduce him to your friends later?" Top hates introducing himself without anything to write on. It makes it so much harder to stay in third person. He sighs softly. "Also, do you know if they have a library, or perhaps a bookstore down here for Top to visit later?" Nothing like books to lighten Top's mood.

"Oh, a bookstore! I haven't seen one, but I would like to go there to. Lets go find one!"

Jack starts walking away then stops.

"Oops I started from the end first. Hello Top, I'll introduce you later.I only know one other person here."

Jack begins walking away again.

"oh, wait. You said later." Jack walks back.

"hold on a second," Jack begins searching his pack, then draws out a small object. A book.

"Will this do for now?" The title of the book is A selection of Theories on Spheretech, by Sir Kay-Awhs Defender of Lake City.

"This guy is considered the most well educated Spheretech-Theorist today."

River:

Well, this match is certainly interesting. Still, I wish Eerongal would shift. It would be nice to get an idea of what his other forms can do. Keeping my eye on the fight, I decide to take matters into my own hands, and approach Piscun's balcony.

"I understand if you don't want to be disturbed, but I thought you might like some company. It must get lonely, playing the referee by yourself. Here goes nothing...

Hmmm... the book has the right size, the appropriately dry title, the enticing smell... Top looks at it for a long moment, then speaks. "This is what you were speaking from during that last match, is Top not correct? He would very much like to read that book, and offers profound thanks for the offer." Top smiles then. "Top should be fighting before too much longer. Have you fought yet? Also, what is your number?"

"The man you wish to watch is the one you were talking to originally, correct? Is he the one person you said you know, or is it another?" 26... That could be good or bad, depending on how the brackets are drawn... Top takes a moment, writing himself a mental note to check the brackets as soon as convenient. "Top is worried that you may have to fight him before long. He thinks he should be trying to dislike you or manipulate you, but he would prefer not too. He hopes you feel similarly." At this point, Top isn't sure Jack knows how to manipulate...

Jay'el

Quinn nearly runs into you, obviously distracted, rubbing his hands with a stained cloth. He's a lot younger than you'd expected, no older than fourteen; a spindly kid with a crooked smile and eager eyes.

"Tori's been expecting you. We've got a bunch of Grids to work and more than a few Spherebreaks to get through." He dashes off into the smithy, relying on you to follow. "Never had this many projects before! Not in a whole year!"

Moving out of the shop front and into the main part of the smithy, you're struck by how cramped everything is. Piles of machine and magic scraps go over your head, forming narrow paths through the space. This area is obviously larger than any of the other stores in the Living Quarters, though not as big as some of the other rooms like the cafeteria.

You emerge into a more open space, probably with a few more scratches than you came in with, which is obviously the main part of the smithy. It seems dim, but most of the light sources are just focused on the important places, not wasted on the unnecessary; all the light is white with a hint of blue around the edges, fading into the darkness. There are approximately a dozen workstations scattered about, each one emitting sparks and flashes of light of various intensities and colors. The smell of burnt plastic hangs in the air, mingled with sweat and the unmistakable scent of magic. Curses echo every so often, along with mumbling about measurements and an incantation or two.

You spot Tori immediately, all the activity of the room - quite a bit, bustling back and forth, one assistant nearly bowls you over in his haste - focuses around her. She's in her element, giving directions, answering questions, adjusting datapad schematics with a flick of the hand, and shouting above the din, most at the same time. A small ball of light floats over her shoulder, serving as both a beacon and a light source.

"Shaman! Get over here! We've got work to do!"

Jack Mckinney

Jack shrugs, "Watch, yes. Don't know who he is though. I think Jay is his friend though."

Jack looks Top directly in the eyes. The smile on Jack's face disappears and the atmosphere changes.

"As to manipulating, don't worry about me. I already know more about who that one is than he heard from me about spheretech."

Jack's comedic and carefree attitude is gone, replaced by a calm assurance and the practiced posture of a fighter.

For a moment, Jack is revealed as the threat he is.

And then its gone with a laugh.

"But who needs to hear such talk. come, let us watch this match and discuss spheres."

Well this is far different from the shop front, earlier. I think I like this better. It's busy. I hustle through the activity around me, dodging multiple apprentices as they flit from workbench to workbench carrying scraps of metal, possibly magisteel, or other more exotic supplies. Was that an eyeball? Hope it wasn't human...

I arrive at Tori's side, and ask "What do you need from me? I don't know what's going on or where I should help, or even the basics. Put me to work." I smile ecstatically, but I keep my bearing and tone professional. This woman has helped me out more than anyone I've ever known. I will do anything to repay her. Anything.

...Oh. That was unexpected. Looks like I picked the right ally, though. Now Top just has to give Jack a reason not to analyze him... Best not to prod, for now. "Jack, what do you know about the Glyph Arena? All Top knows is that it has shining glyphs on the walls. For that matter, what do you know of this place in general? It is surely more than Top has seen so far."

Jack Mckinney

"I don't know much about this place, and even less about the glyph arena."

Jack thinks for a bit.

"I arrived here sometime around 1 in the morning. I spent most of my time sleeping, waking only for breakfast and the start of the matches."

Jack smiles, "Perhaps we should go look around for a bit. I have money, and its burning a hole in my pocket."

Jay'el

She turns and shouts into the bustle. "Quinn!"

The boy, who had been picking up different pieces from various piles halfway across the room - you're astonished by how quickly he got away from you - shoved his small collection into the arms of a forgehand and ran over; ducking, hopping and occasionally spinning to avoid colliding with everyone around him.

"Yes, ma'am!"

"Take Jay'el and show him how to work the Spherebreaker, I need ten isolated M.E. based weapons from him by the end of the day. Here's the list." She hands him a small datapad. "Now move!" She, and her retinue, move off toward what looks like the Grid area.

Quinn grins at you. "See if you can keep up." He dashes off in the opposite direction from his master.

Edited by Silus - Shard of Flame