Story Topic

Silus - Shard of Flame

Peter swings his tankard in a wild, spinning swing, but your roll takes out of the way just quick enough to leave you with only a few drops of ale on your back.

Your water attack shoves him across the arena, coming close to the edge before the water breaks around him. His breathing his heavy and his eyes are bloodshot. And he looks mad.

You bend the ale, a stream of it flowing out of the tankard...and flowing...and flowing. Ale keeps coming out of the tankard, no matter how much you pull out if it. He breaks the stream with an angry yank and starts pouring it over his head. When he emerges you can barely tell his eyes were ever red, and his blissful grin is back.

He starts swinging his tankard around and around, wildly spinning across the arena, insanely fast in an unpredictable course.

River:

So, the tankard is bottomless... great. Nonetheless, I think I have a plan. I close both my water skins, saving the ale within for later. Not wanting to get anywhere near Peter's new spinning attack, I bend water about myself. I form a spinning vortex of water and use it to lift me off the ground, away from danger. I land as far from Peter as possible, push the water I've been using out in all directions and evaporate it into steam, severely reducing visibility within the arena. With my bronze, I can still tell Peter's exact location, but he will have to rely on sound, a sense that has likely been hampered by his drinking.

I wait to see what happens next, wondering if my steam will buy me enough time to shift forms and finish this.

The problem with raising steam is that it obscures your own vision as well as your foe's, making it difficult to sense where Peter is once he stops his radical spin.

"As much as I enjoy this Form, and I really enjoy this Form," he slurs, giggling every few words, "I get the feeling it's time for a change in pace."

A glow starts to spread through the steam. You should have about ten seconds to do something.

Faster than you thought possible, the glow fades, and a figure rushes at you out of the mist. He's bigger than he was a second ago, thicker, taller, but also kind of stooped. You barely have time to register is a foul smell before he swings something that resembles an axe at your head.

I listen intently as the rules of the match are explained, and let my gaze drift over my fellows in the audience. I don't see anyone I know immediately, but as the armored man yells "GO!" I find my eyes drawn back to the arena.

The man fights drunk, and actually does it well. What tricks has 'Adolin' got up his sleeve? I watch as River shoves Peter around the arena, noting his fine control of water. When the vortex explodes into steam, I can hear myself and the rest of the audience groan - we all want to see this fight, but River apparently has other plans.

I sigh to myself, thinking and now that I can't learn anything about River's capabilities, being here is pointless. This room is too simple - just four waterfalls, a chasm, and the arena floor. No place on the floor to use tactical covering, which means no safe place to change Forms, though 'Adolin' managed to make up for that - not a capability I share.

I edge through the crowd, moving towards the last arena room, the Mist Cavern. I don't know if I'll end up fighting in here, but it never hurts to be prepared.

The general layout of the room is similar to the other two arenas, with the arena floor set apart from the rest of the room by a circular chasm, but the atmosphere is noticeably different.

Mist swirls throughout the cavern, thickest at ankle level and on the walls, patches and columns of it becoming randomly opaque for a few seconds at a time. Tendrils swirl around solid objects like people, twining around your legs like ghost tentacles. This room has a much smaller crowd than the others.

The match below you is subdued, cautious, as the competitors stalk each other through the pillars of fog. As you look you can see a flurry of activity. One of fighters seems to be a Feruchemist of some kind, a Brass Chemist at least, as his opponent's Fire Mage attack is shrugged off easily.

Interesting... I wonder what this mist is made of? Nothing natural - it hangs around to long, and those random pillars are great tactically. I think I'll stick aorund and watch this for a bit. Wouldn't want to miss the end of 'Adolin's match.

I take up a position to watch the match, liking what I'm seeing so far. Looks like the Feruchemist has this in the bag if the Mage doesn't change Forms quick.

Jack Mckinney

Memorizing the fire mage's attacks in the match in the Mist Room using his Copper Chemist form, Jack notices a newcomer. Ooh look! Its one of the new guys. Lets go talk to him. Oh, good Idea! Jack starts walking to the newcomer, putting down his left leg harder than his right to make the chain jingle. Coming up to the man, Jack speaks enthusiastically,

"Hello! Your one of the new arrivals. I saw you come here last night. Whats your name? Who do you think is going to win this? I think its the Chemist. My name is Jack...I think."

jack smiles and waits for a response. Jumping from one foot to the other.

(The chemist outfit is a simple green tunic and brown shorts, but with a light copper chain about two feet long wrapped around and tied to the left leg.)

I smile at the man's energy, saying, "I agree with you, Jack, the Chemist has got this in the bag unless the Mage does something quick. I'm Jay, by the way." I grin a little at my silly rhyme. "That's quite a lot of copper you've got on you. Would you happen to be a Chemist as well?"

He's a little bouncy, but he seems harmless and friendly enough.

Jack Mckinney

"Hi Jay!" jack looks around, then leans in close and whispers, "Yep. Copper Chemist obviously." Jack takes a step back and switches to his baseline.

"I was memorizing this match, though it is harder to memorize when you can't see any obvious effects." Jack nods at the brass Chemist.

"When's your match? I am 26th."

"Me? I'm 22nd, which puts us both in the Glyph area. I'd say I'd love to watch your match, but that's not really an option for me - I have a debt to repay as soon as I'm out of the arena. Hey, you want so see a match with obvious effects, you should come with me back to the Waterfall cavern. I know one of the guys in the arena right now, and he's a real piece of work, lemme tell ya. He's got control over water like I've never seen - which seems appropriate, since his name's River - and he's up against a guy who literally drinks to get ready for a match."

I look back to the arena, watching for some sign of a victor. Oh well. even if this doesn't end now, I've got some more information on these contestants. Brass Chemist... good thing I don't rely on elemental attacks too much.

River:

As soon as Peter starts talking, I dump the liquor on the ground in front of me and begin my shift. Only a fool wastes times talking in a match. The glow envelopes me, and I slowly begin to count down the long seconds during which I am vulnerable. I shift into my Sympathist form, and between Peter's words, his startlingly quick shift, and the time it takes for him to close in on me, I barely have enough time to roll out of the way as he swings his "axe."

I curse as my dodge takes me away from the liquor on the ground. Perhaps it would not have worked anyway. I'm not sure if this form will be as drunk as his last... unless, what is that smell? I decide to wait and see, and bide my time as I do. The evaporated water continues to obscure both our vision. I listen with my bronze, hoping to catch a pulse so I can predict his next attack. Noting that his weapon is made of metal, I take a small lump of steel out of my belt pocket and mutter a binding. The steel nugget bobs in the air, responding to the movements of Peter's weapon. I manage to hold on to it and lie in wait, ready to use it should Peter try to attack me again.

Jack Mckinney

"A debt? Too bad." Jack shrugs. He doesn't really care.

"Lets go to the Waterfall Cavern then." Ooh. Water control. I wonder if he is like my airbender form...

Jack shifts back into his Copper chemist form. Then starts jogging to the Waterfall Cavern.

Over his shoulder Jack says, "Well. Come on."

Ambrosius

Seeing that the match, was quite hidden by steam, Ambro decided to check out the room where he was to fight.

Quickly exiting the Waterfall room, Ambro ran into another person, who was wearing a slightly wrinkled green tunic and a chain around his leg.

"Move it or lose it, idiot." Ambro pushed around the person and jogged to the Glyph Cavern.

In his rush to get there, Ambro thought he saw Jay'el, but dismissed it as not important.

Entering the Glyph Cavern, Ambro looked around for threats. Seeing none, he settled in a corner to watch the current match.

(This post takes place at roughly the same time as my previous one just above.)

Jack Mckinney

Jack was about to walk into the waterfall room, when he was knocked over by a person, who was wearing many wrapped leather bands for clothing, quickly exited the room.

"Move it or lose it, idiot." The person quickly jogged off into another room.

"Well that was startling." Jack shrugged his shoulders and waited for Jay at the door.

River - Waterfall Cavern

Peter looks frustrated. The alcohol is still fuzzing his mind, but now it doesn't work in his favor. But his appearance is intimidating enough that that might not matter.

He's grown about a foot taller, even with how stooped he now is. His skin is green and sickly, like a rotting corpse, marking him as an undead Form. The weapon he carries is a large shovel, with a deadly sharp edge, and it glows with an eerie light.

He holds up a hand, which pulses with the same light as his shovel. A bronze pulse and an odd noise from behind you alert you to his move. You twist to face it, but not before a pair of slimy, orange hands grabs you around the throat. A maw breathing a heavy scent of death and full of sharp yellow teeth is coming toward your face.

Ambrosius - Glyph Cavern

Bizarre, colorful monsters surround a figure in white, robotic looking armor, who stands composed. The monsters leap at him, and he responds ferociously, tearing them asunder with his sword, bashing them to pieces with his shielding, and flash freezing them with a wave of his hand. Once they're gone he approaches a quivering figure on the edge of the arena, who holds his sketchpad between him and his opponent. The white figure lifts the cartoonist off the ground with ease, tossing back into the middle of the arena. The scrawny figure scrambles to his feet, trying to run with nowhere to go. He gets a shielded backhand for his trouble, knocking him out of his Form. The white figure walks up to him and holds his sword over his throat.

A female voice echoes through the room. "And the winner is Trip of Frozen Foothills!"

The crowd cheers as the man shifts back to baseline, the mask remaining on his face as he walks to the now extended bridge.

Ambrosius

Oops. Not quite fast enough, I missed all but the end. So, its Trip. One of those annoying men from that place.

From his vantage point, Ambro watches Trip cross the bridge.

Ambro's position ensures that Ambro couldn't be snuck up on, so he looks for the rest of that irritating trio.

I wonder what that form was. The other was obviously a summoner of some kind.

Edited by Emeralis00

Ambrosius

I should have brought a pen and paper. Now would be a good time to take notes.

Ambro waits to observe the match.

At least I am not fighting against them right away. I don't quite feel like dealing with them yet.

Shame that killing isn't allowed.

River:

An undead form... interesting. I am glad to see this form also involves alchohol, though his size and strength are worrisome. When the bronze pulses sound in my mind, a frantically try to prepare myself, but I am siezed by some beast before I can do anything. A summoner as well perhaps? The reek of the skin implies it is also undead.

As the beast jerks me up by the throat, I manage to keep hold of the nugget of steel, hoping it will either help anchor me in place, or cause Peter to stumble when his shovel moves the same way. I might not be stronger than you, but perhaps your little lap dog is. I split my mind again, and mutter a binding with the last of my breath, binding the rotting skin of the beast with that of its master. Despite the similarity in their flesh, the beast and master are different enough in shape that the heat is drained from both my legs to creat the binding. As it comes towards me, I reach to my belt for my small silver knife. Its true purpose is for creating shavings or tinder, but I suppose it will work for this as well. I stab into the arm of the beast that corresponds with Peter's weapon hand, knowing it will affect him as well.

The ghoul wails and lets go, dissipating into the ether. You can also hear Peter shout from behind you.

Turning to face him, you can see him start to do the same thing as before. Two ghouls appear this time, one blue and one green, on either side of you. The grab you around the wrists and pull.

Ambrosius

You recognize the one in the arena as the guy who threw you with telekinesis. And the female announcer confirms your thought.

"Flip of Frozen Foothills!"

He waves to the crowd.

"Dan of the Western Plain!"

His opponent acknowledges.

"On my mark!"

They start to shift.

"Get set!"

The Forms appear.

"GO!"

Dan seems unchanged, but you notice a green glow around one hand, some sort of device. In a flash of green light, he is replaced by a hulking giant, about ten feet tall, with red skin and four muscular arms. He rushes at Flip.

Flip, now in white armor similar to Trip's, stands his ground. His mask glows and a force slams into the oncoming hulk, stopping his charge, but not for long as he soon breaks free of the force and continues to charge.

His opponent dodges out of the way like a practiced rockbull tamer, and blasts his back with ice energy, long crystals forming there. It only takes a shrug of the shoulders to crack the ice, though.

It goes back and forth like that for a minute or so before the red beast disappears again in a flash of green light, becoming a figure made of what seems to be fiery magma, who proceeds to throw fireballs at the ice warrior.

Flip counters with blasts of ice, the equal forces cancelling each other out. He's the one charging now, rushing his opponent with a pair of what seem to be spiked clubs. He slams into the flaming form, knocking him off his feet and then shoving him with his telekinesis, forcing him off the cliff.

The crowd cheers at what seems to be the end of the match, but a fireball rises out of the chasm, Dan returning to fight.

River:

As soon as the ghoul lets go I drop into a roll, giving my legs time to recover before I come to my feet. As I turn towards him, I am already running back to the spot where I dropped the alcohol fumbling at my belt for my tinder box with one hand, while still holding my knife in the other. In one motion I empty the box into the alcohol and strike the flint with my knife. By this time two more ghouls have materialized and are suddenly restraining me by the wrists. I curse as both my flint and knife fall to the ground.

Looking to the ground, however, I see the hint of a spark glowing in my tinder. Quickly, I split my mind three ways. My hair is the part of my body the most similar to the tinder. Using it for a focus, I link myself to the pile. My arms and legs go numb this time, and I feel myself begin to shiver, but the tinder pile bursts into flame. I complete the second binding, tying the alcohol soaking my flaming tinder pile to the rest of the puddle. At this point my shoulders are screaming with pain as the grip of the two ghouls tightens, but my lips manage to curl into a smile anyways as I make the third binding, tying the now flaming puddle to the alcohol I know is in Peter's stomach.

Ambrosius

Nice trick. I was going to be disappointed if the match went that fast.

Ambro cheers as the flaming man throws more fireballs at Flip, the last one knocking Trip off his feet.

I hope that the flaming man wins...actually, I am not sure. If the flaming man wins, then I don't have to deal with that guy in a fight.

If Trippy-Dippy wins, then I have a chance to deal with the problem without having to rely on someone else.

(Trippy-Dippy is Ambro's mocking name for Trip)

Edited by Emeralis00

River

Peter screams, surrounded in a flash of light as his Spheremount's safeguard kicks in, transforming him back into his baseline. It takes you a moment to recover and stand, but he still lies on the ground holding his stomach with the memory of pain, suddenly very sober.

"And the victor is River!"

The crowd cheers, and the bridge to one side of the arena extends, allowing you to return to the rest of the cavern. Peter scrambles to his feet, gives you a shocked look, and takes off in the other direction.

Ambrosius

Flip gets back on his feet just in time to dodge another barrage of fireballs and starts using his telekinesis to deflect the fire away from himself.

Dan lands again, and, seeing Flip's ability to deflect his shots, rushes him. Flip seems to prepare for another round of fireballs, but at the last second Dan turns back into the red beast. All of the momentum of his flight slamming with incredible force into the armored man.

The crowd gives a sympathetic "ooh!"

Flip stands and you can hear the sound of struggling mechanisms, like a malfunctioning droid, coming from him. His Form appears to not be, at least, completely human.

The red monster charges again, hoping to end the match with a last blow. But Flip stands his ground. He seems to radiate with energy, an icy glow building around him. With a shout he unleashes a blast of freezing power at his foe. This stops Dan in his tracks, and even though he attempts to keep going, the cold slows him, eventually stopping his progress, leaving him encased, a statue of ice.

Flip, with a deep breath, lifts him off the ground, his glowing mask and his stance showing great concentration, higher and higher. The crowd is silent in anticipation.

The glow fades, and, almost hesitant, the block of ice begins to fall, at least thirty feet. With a concussive crash that seems to shake the air and a blast of light, the ice shatters, leaving behind Dan, now in his baseline, unconscious.

The match is over.

Edited by Silus - Shard of Flame