Other feruchemical powers?

SirShemmington VI

Reading alloy of law, in the ars acranium (which I cant spell and my books at a friends house so shh)

But it suggested that feruchemists and ferrings could store more attributes in alloys of god metals.

So, any ideas what they could store?

Ideas I've had so far, storing emotions (like copper), storing skills (so, becoming less skilled at something, to become more skilled later) and storing toughness (kind of a stretch as its similar to strength and health)

It may well just be variants of the normal abilities, just as atium alloys with allomancy just produce time magic effects.

For example, atium pewter alloys might let you store your strength from the future. Or even, the strength of someone else's future.

Edited by Nepene

Size? It would probably be a bit overpowered.

I did actually think of it, but it would be rather overpowered.

Not in the least. Square-cube law. You'd have to store/tap weight in just the right proportion to keep from killing yourself. Powerful in the hands of a skilled user? Sure. Overpowered in general? Never.

Edited by Eric

I like idea of storing skill. Toughness is interesting as well, would it make you more elastic when storing it or something?

well, tapping weight also prevents you from being crushed under the extra weight, so presumably tapping size would have similar effects.

Nope, it would've been like storing weight.

Not in the least. Square-cube law. You'd have to store/tap weight in just the right proportion to keep from killing yourself. Powerful in the hands of a skilled user? Sure. Overpowered in general? Never.

One thing that would limit its use, you couldn't grow so small that you couldn't hold a metalmind, and same for growing so large. the metal minds would remain the same size. so say, with bolts through the arms, you'd grow larger around them, and they would fall out...

I like idea of storing skill. Toughness is interesting as well, would it make you more elastic when storing it or something?Nope, it would've been like storing weight.

I imagine it, as simply easier to injure.

Another idea, storing pain? useless when you draw on it, but isefull to store is the problem, when I feel it should be the other way around somehow.

Size? It would probably be a bit overpowered.

There's a certain amount of size variation that comes with storing strength... it stores not just muscles but mass, so when you tap it you grow proportionately. During the Battle of Luthadel Sazed grows large enough to match the Koloss, though he burns through his entire stores pretty quickly in doing so.

Another idea, storing pain? useless when you draw on it, but isefull to store is the problem, when I feel it should be the other way around somehow.

Storing sensation in general? Doesn't that come with Tin? It might be an interesting twist for someone who's being injured or tortured to store it all in a Tinmind and then discard that metal. The downside is that you'd be completely numb, deaf and blind while it was happening, but if you're being tortured maybe that's a good thing too.

Well, since you store each sense separately, you could simply store touch, perhaps that would keep the pain away? The ability to store senses separately makes a Tin Compounder pretty powerful, they can compound for a huge amount of the senses they want, and store away the ones that are distracting them.

well, tapping weight also prevents you from being crushed under the extra weight, so presumably tapping size would have similar effects.

Inadvertently harming yourself, possibly. But making yourself massively huge and trying to do more than save time walking with your new seven league strides is risky anyway. Imagine getting shot. If the bullet doesn't pass through you and you shrink back down, you're injuring yourself more and more. If the bullet does pass through you, that's a huge risk of infection. Another potential issue: growing too quickly might collapse your lungs as you don't have enough air in them. And since the oxygen has further to travel and you may need more of it, but the area of your lungs won't increase to the same degree as your volume, you'll tire faster as a best case scenario. If you don't need more oxygen, that means that you're affected by the same amounts of toxins and poisons, but it gets easier to keep you from noticing the delivery. (Of course, I also keep imagining the old "Attack of the Normal Sized Animal on a Scale Model Set" movies, so I'm probably blowing this out of proportion. :P/>/> <_</>/> You're welcome for the pun.)

All in all, there are enough weaknesses to be taken advantage of that it isn't overpowering even if you don't crush yourself.

@Windrunner: Pain isn't touch. You have different nerves devoted to each, though both are within the same system. You can be immune to pain but still feel. It's not healthy.

Edited by Eric

Whuh? Storing weight makes you weigh less. Tapping weight makes you weigh more.

Yes. Storing/tapping weight changes Feruchemists weight without changing his size. So, if you tap size it won't change your weight and it'll have same effect: Wind will take you if you make yourself bigger but won't change your weight(ofc it depends on how much size you're tapping).

Edited by 213

Yes. Storing/tapping weight changes Feruchemists weight without changing his size. So, if you tap size it won't change your weight and it'll have same effect: Wind will take you if you make yourself bigger but won't change your weight(ofc it depends on how much size you're tapping).

So you are claiming that changing size wouldn't cause an increase in weight? That is, I think, rather an unsupported claim. Tapping strength, for instance, causes your muscles to increase in mass (which is really where the extra strength comes from); I do not think we have seen anything to indicate that they do not also become heavier.

In my mind, that transformation is much closer to 'changing size' than storing weight is, especially since storing weight doesn't affect your mass, but rather gravity's hold on you--at least according to Sazed, though admittedly only through his Keeper knowledge.

But I doubt the square-cube law would come into effect, anyway.

So you are claiming that changing size wouldn't cause an increase in weight? That is, I think, rather an unsupported claim. Tapping strength, for instance, causes your muscles to increase in mass (which is really where the extra strength comes from); I do not think we have seen anything to indicate that they do not also become heavier.

In my mind, that transformation is much closer to 'changing size' than storing weight is, especially since storing weight doesn't affect your mass, but rather gravity's hold on you--at least according to Sazed, though admittedly only through his Keeper knowledge.

But I doubt the square-cube law would come into effect, anyway.

I generally agree with you on this point, besides the fact that Weight is mass, at least in large part. Sazed was just wrong.

http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=689#3

EDIT: On that note, though, I suppose that actual weight could be an attribute of its own.

Edited by Kurkistan

Changing weight didn't affect size when Sazed used it to "fly", otherwise it wouldn't work that way. Therefore size = weight is wrong assumption, at least in Cosmere.

You're skewing the relations a bit.

Weight does not imply size, true. That means that weight cannot have a bi-conditional with size, which means that size does not equal weight. But size can still imply weight quite easily. Therefore, we cannot, in fact, say that "size = weight is the wrong assumption."

It could well be that some theoretical "size" Feruchemical attribute could leave mass the same (and so decrease density) while growing or shrinking the proportions of the Feruchemist. It could also be the case that mass would scale with size. You can speculate on which makes more sense, but Iron Feruchemy not affecting size doesn't have much bearing on the discussion.

Edited by Kurkistan

Given the only effect of size alteration that we've seen (Sazed storing strength) definitely did alter his weight (Otherwise it's a bit pointless) I'd say that if size became a storable attribute it'd probably affect weight as well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic