Duel to the Death: Vin and Shallan vs. Kaladin and Wayne

Turos

Duel to the Death!  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Who would be victorious?

• Vin and Shallan
    • Kaladin and Wayne

I'm fairly sure Vin would beat the snot out of Shallan, hands down, atium or not. Keep in mind Vin is a trained warrior and assassin, whereas Shallan has no real formal fighting experience. She might have rapid healing, but that doesn't make up for skill.

Kaladin and Wayne wouldn't be a fight. They would just stare at each other, Wayne would make a bad pun, and Kaladin would walk away glaring and grumbling.

[Edit] I completely read this wrong, my bad.

I'd say Kaladin and Wayne, just for the fighting skill on that side compared to the other side. Vin might be pretty powerful but I don't see Shallan being any help.

Or. Maybe it would be Vin and Shallan. Because Kaladin wouldn't hurt Shallan, and Wayne would probably be ecstatic at seeing Vin. I mean, she was a pretty important part of one of the Scadrialian religions.

Edited by LarkoftheRiver

I'd agree. Vin would grind Shallan to a pulp.

But Wayne and Kaladin....... Kaladin would win. Wayne would eventually run out of bullets, but Kaladin has a melee weapon, which he'll obviously never run out of. Besides, Kaladin can fly, as opposed to Wayne's enhanced jumping.

I suppose that Wayne could just empty his metalminds and sit on Kaladin, though.

For me it depends on how much investiture is available. I assume there would be equivalent amounts available to each contestant (however much equivalent is...) I'm also assuming we mean physical fighting, and not chess :P

My thoughts: Kaladin and Wayne win if a massive amount of investiture is available. Kaladin is a better warrior than Shallan, and Vin probably doesn't auto-heal from Shardblade wounds like Kaladin would heal from obsidian dagger wounds. Wayne is a bit of a bonus for team Kaladin, and may not actually make a difference except to speed up the fight.

If less magic is available, I go for Vin. I feel like she would get more hits in. If she can exhaust Kaladin's Stormlight healing (by stuffing him full of coins or something), then she wins against him, and as soon as she gets close enough to Wayne, he's done too. Wayne would be more helpful with less investiture, because he could disrupt the path of projectiles near him and Kaladin. Shallan isn't a warrior, but she could potentially blind Kaladin with Lightweaving and give Pattern to Vin :P

With absolutely no investiture of any kind involved, I vote for Kaladin/Wayne. He's got a gun.

Haha... Kaladin and Wayne no doubt (because Kaladin can not loose). Vin could be great, but Shallan would slow her down. Kaladin and Wayne are both accustomed to using their abilities in a fight, they would make a good team actually.

Vin could probably win this by herself, and I don't see Wayne being much help for Kal either, Vin and Kal are just in a different league from the other two. If Kal has a Shardblade and Vin has no Atium or Duralumin he could probably win but if Vin has either it's pretty much a no-contest.

All you guys are ruling out Shallan, but 

WoR Spoilers

with her illusions she can really distract someone. Remember in the Adolin v. 4 Shardbearers duel (One of the best scenes ever), Pattern crawled onto one fighters face and really distracted him as well. Also Shallan has a shardblade, and when someone can barely see because something is on their face, Shallan could probably get a good shot in.

I think it's Vin and Shallan by a hair.  Vin and Kaladin would be the tanks with Shallan and Wayne as support.  With both Wayne and Kaladin being able to heal I would give it to them, but I'm assuming that everyone has access to all of their abilities and that means Vin has Atium. That pushes her team ahead.

Shallan will die immediately. Vin will have an aerial battle with Kaladin, finish him off with a well-aimed coinshot(probably), and then easily mop up Wayne. Kaladin may be a competent fighter, but he has no experience against enemies practiced at fighting with magic. Vin does. 

The real issue is whether a reverse lashing would effect Steel-propelled coins. 

I love Kaladin and Wayne. As characters go, they are two of my favorites. That being said, I have to say Vin and Shallan. The greatest assassin in the Cosmere (IMO) with illusion support? I don't see how anything beats that. You make an assassin invisible or distract the opponents from her and I don't see a counter to that. Kaladin and Wayne may have the individual advantage over their counterparts, but their synergy is highly lacking. 

Shallan will die immediately. Vin will have an aerial battle with Kaladin, finish him off with a well-aimed coinshot(probably), and then easily mop up Wayne. Kaladin may be a competent fighter, but he has no experience against enemies practiced at fighting with magic. Vin does.

Besides Vin everyone regenerates. They'll be fine for a while.

Besides Vin everyone regenerates. They'll be fine for a while.

That's true, they do have regen. I don't think it will keep them safe from the Ascendant Warrior, though. I mean, she can use all of the metals, pretty much. Soothe/Riot Kaladin, Push/Pull any of his metal items, use her Thug abilities....

I love Kaladin and Wayne. As characters go, they are two of my favorites. That being said, I have to say Vin and Shallan. The greatest assassin in the Cosmere (IMO) with illusion support? I don't see how anything beats that. You make an assassin invisible or distract the opponents from her and I don't see a counter to that. Kaladin and Wayne may have the individual advantage over their counterparts, but their synergy is highly lacking. 

How much assassin work has Vin actually done? She slaughtered her way through a good number of none magic soldiers and fought with Inquisitors but I don't think any of her stealth missions were all that succesful.

I think it's Vin and Shallan by a hair.  Vin and Kaladin would be the tanks with Shallan and Wayne as support.  With both Wayne and Kaladin being able to heal I would give it to them, but I'm assuming that everyone has access to all of their abilities and that means Vin has Atium. That pushes her team ahead.

Given that Kaladin comes with his own combat sense, that might actually have improved with his new oaths, Atium isn't that much of a game breaker here.

Kaladin has way more mobility in aerial combat, so that wouldn't be a good situation for Vin and I don't see a reason why steel pushing coins would make them immune to lashings.

That's true, they do have regen. I don't think it will keep them safe from the Ascendant Warrior, though. I mean, she can use all of the metals, pretty much. Soothe/Riot Kaladin, Push/Pull any of his metal items, use her Thug abilities....

Well, soothing and rioting can be counterd by wrapping aluminum foil around your head, so that can be dealt with, if Wayne brings a proper second hat with him.

How much assassin work has Vin actually done? She slaughtered her way through a good number of none magic soldiers and fought with Inquisitors but I don't think any of her stealth missions were all that succesful.

Given that Kaladin comes with his own combat sense, that might actually have improved with his new oaths, Atium isn't that much of a game breaker here.

Kaladin has way more mobility in aerial combat, so that wouldn't be a good situation for Vin and I don't see a reason why steel pushing coins would make them immune to lashings.

Well, soothing and rioting can be counterd by wrapping aluminum foil around your head, so that can be dealt with, if Wayne brings a proper second hat with him.

Maybe that's the reason he ain't never died in his lucky hat!

• 3 weeks later...

Poor Wayne, I see him being taken out early on. Against Shallan, he might have experience, but she has Pattern. Hardly a fair fight, as his time bubble basically allows him to turn any situation into a one on one. Plus, she heals faster and more often.

Lets not even compare Wayne and Vin.

On the other hand, Kaladin takes out Shallan no problem. He just has way to much experience for that to be fair. Now, Vin also has considerable experience. I figure it all comes down to whether or not she has atium. If she does, she would win, it is just to great an advantage. On the other hand, if she doesn't, I'd say Kaladin, mostly because he has far greater mobility in the air and possibly more combat experience, although that one is debatable. He is, however, one of the greatest spear wielders the worlds have ever seen. I mean, even with only slightly stormlight enhanced physical abilities, his pure skill allowed him to kill a full shard bearer. What with lashes and a shardblade, I don't think Vin could deal with him.

Here's how I see this going down. Wayne distracts Vin long enough for Kaladin to take care of Shallan. (If Pattern is on an opponents face, he can't be in her hand, thus, no shardblade. She isn't practiced at her other ways of using illusions to distract and has little combat experience. Kaladin take her in a few seconds.) Wayne, with his gold, can probably hold Vin down for that long. Then it is up to Kaladin and Vin.

So, Kaladin and Wayne win, but poor Wayne may not make it. Which is a real shame, because Wayne is AWESOME. I just say he still has a little health left in his gold and faked his death, just to heal himself up when Vin is distracted by Kaladin.

I'm going Vin and Shallan on this one.

Kaladin's and Wayne's abilities are just too incompatible. In order to actually get any help from Wayne, Kaladin would have to stay inside the speed bubble. This would keep him grounded, which makes him far worse off. Vin has a wider selection of abilities to choose from, and can use them all very effectively. I see the fighters pairing off, Vin fighting Kaladin and Wayne fighting Shallan. That leaves Vin with the advantage over Kaladin, and Wayne against Shallan. His speed bubbles have essentially no effect in a close-quarters fight with one opponent. So, it would be one guy with a healing power against one girl with a Shardblade. See the disparity here?

Edited by Shattered Logic

I think Vin automatically wins by a landslide, even against all the other three. I see it going like this;

Shallan immediately hides herself somewhere and creates whatever illusions she can to distract the opponents. She'd be absolutely worthless in a fight, shardblade or no.

Vin takes the fight airborne which effectively eliminates Wayne, whom she can come back and slaughter with ease after Kaladin's dealt with.

Now Vin is free to shred Kaladin with coins. Unless she really screws up, there's no way he can even get near her. It'd be borderline impossible for him to dodge the speed of coinshots even at a good range, and the closer he is the harder it gets. Consequently if he ever gets too close Vin just sprays him with coins and then pushes herself off the ones that hit to widen the gap. So he can't touch her. She can also use blasts of emotional allomancy to screw with his emotions. Make him depressed, enraged, hopeless, just go to town on his already messed up psyche, and he's sure to get sloppy. Eventually either just wear him down, or get in a killing shot. It obviously hasn't been established in the books, but I'm going to assume that if she blows his brain or heart out with a coin or barrage of coins he dies before it heals, no matter how much Light he's got.

Really it just comes down to the fact that Vin gets projectiles and Kaladin can't get in striking distance of her. It becomes an even easier win assuming she's allowed Duralumin (throw a couple big sacks of coins and duralumin push, Kaladin is now a pile of giblets), and an instant win if she's got atium. Shallan and Wayne don't even factor into the fight really.