A few things.

Well, really just one SUPER AWESOME INCREDIMAZING THING.

I'm going to Teen Author Boot Camp on Saturday. 

BRANDON SANDERSON IS A KEYNOTE SPEAKER.

He'll also be signing books afterwards.

Probably, questions will be allowed--

--and by "questions" I mean "Funtimes", and by "Funtimes" I mean "CALAMITY'S CUPCAKES I GET TO ASK SOME RECKONERSVERSE QUESTIONS!!!!". 

Edited by mail-mi

A few things.

Well, really just one SUPER AWESOME INCREDIMAZING THING.

I'm going to Teen Author Boot Camp on Saturday. 

BRANDON SANDERSON IS A KEYNOTE SPEAKER.

He'll also be signing books afterwards.

Probably, questions will be allowed--

--and by "questions" I mean "Funtimes", and by "Funtimes" I mean "CALAMITY'S CUPCAKES I GET TO ASK SOME RECKONERSVERSE QUESTIONS!!!!". 

YES. 

Just…yes. You get to hear Brandon Freaking Sanderson speak, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping you'd have the chance to ask some Reckonersverse questions. :ph34r: 

I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little bit jealous. 

YES. 

Just…yes. You get to hear Brandon Freaking Sanderson speak, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping you'd have the chance to ask some Reckonersverse questions. :ph34r:

I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't more than a little bit jealous. 

I'd be lying if I wasn't hoping for the same thing  :ph34r:

I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't both sad for you and a little bit smug. :P

I'm insanely jealous right now, mail-mi. :D

Do you know for sure the exact question you'll ask him? Will it be anything from the FUNTIMES list?

I don't know yet. I was planning on taking them from the FUNTIMES, however.

I'm insanely jealous right now, mail-mi. :D

Do you know for sure the exact question you'll ask him? Will it be anything from the FUNTIMES list?

Go for the one that provides the largest number of answers for the largest number of players here. I'd recommend the one about High Epic despots or the determining factors in an Epic's power level. 

Go for the one that provides the largest number of answers for the largest number of players here. I'd recommend the one about High Epic despots or the determining factors in an Epic's power level.

Go for the first one, if you're taking suggestions. I suspect the one about Epic power levels would probably get RAFOed.

I have a theory, but I don't know how correct it is. Yeah, go for the one with less likelihood of getting RAFOed.

I am interested in this theory of thine. :ph34r:

Also, mail-mi: I should stress that we're not trying to be half as bossy as we sound with our suggestions. We'd never pressure you into wasting such an amazing opportunity on a question you don't personally care for--no one would even fault you if you asked a Cosmere question. ;)

Also, mail-mi: I should stress that we're not trying to be half as bossy as we sound with our suggestions. We'd never pressure you into wasting such an amazing opportunity on a question you don't personally care for--no one would even fault you if you asked a Cosmere question. ;)

I totally understand, and I am currently more curious about the reckonersverse than the Cosmere, so don't worry. ;)

I totally understand, and I am currently more curious about the reckonersverse than the Cosmere, so don't worry. ;)

Well, in that case... ;)

1. Can you tell us anything about High Epic despots on the west coast?
  2. Besides Oregon and the cities that Obliteration destroyed, are there any parts of the Fractured States rendered completely uninhabitable?
  3. How long after Calamity's appearance was Oregon destroyed?
  4. What are some of the most common Epic powers?
  5. Would the child of an Epic in any way inherit its parent's epicness?
  6. What is the approximate ratio between normal humans and Epics?
  7. What are the determining factors in an Epic's power level?
  8. Is there a correlation between Epic's past lives and their powers, or are their powers assigned at random?
  9. Does Calamity talk to all Epics?
  10. Why has the number of new Epics dropped since Calamity first appeared?
  11. It is strongly implied Conflux faced his fear, but did this remove his weakness as well?
  12. Can a weakness change?
  13. What would happen if an Epic was constantly exposed to his or her weakness?
  14. How many Epics have "unique" powers like Firefight or Mitosis?
  15. How many cells of Reckoners are there, and do they operate globally or strictly in the Fractured States?
  16. When were the Reckoners established?
  17. How many countries didn't pass an equivalent to the Capitulation Act?
  18. Is there anything you can tell us about the Epic named Night's Sorrow,  gender, powers, or area of influence-wise?
  19. Can you tell us anything interesting about the Coven?
  20. Will the Oregon turf wars ever be elaborated on in the novels?
  21. If Vin were an Epic, what would her powers and weakness be?
  22. Is there any chance of you eventually publishing an illustrated guide to Epics as a companion to the Reckoners trilogy?
  23. How many humans were killed before Annexation Day?
  24. How symbolic can a weakness be/how strongly must it be connected the root fear.
  25. Is there a reason Dawnslight's influence on New York City wasn't public knowledge, given that he appeared a year before Epics, together with Calamity?

I think the first question on the list is the most valuable to us. ;)

Well, in that case... ;)

1. Can you tell us anything about High Epic despots on the west coast?
  2. Besides Oregon and the cities that Obliteration destroyed, are there any parts of the Fractured States rendered completely uninhabitable?
  3. How long after Calamity's appearance was Oregon destroyed?
  4. What are some of the most common Epic powers?
  5. Would the child of an Epic in any way inherit its parent's epicness?
  6. What is the approximate ratio between normal humans and Epics?
  7. What are the determining factors in an Epic's power level?
  8. Is there a correlation between Epic's past lives and their powers, or are their powers assigned at random?
  9. Does Calamity talk to all Epics?
  10. Why has the number of new Epics dropped since Calamity first appeared?
  11. It is strongly implied Conflux faced his fear, but did this remove his weakness as well?
  12. Can a weakness change?
  13. What would happen if an Epic was constantly exposed to his or her weakness?
  14. How many Epics have "unique" powers like Firefight or Mitosis?
  15. How many cells of Reckoners are there, and do they operate globally or strictly in the Fractured States?
  16. When were the Reckoners established?
  17. How many countries didn't pass an equivalent to the Capitulation Act?
  18. Is there anything you can tell us about the Epic named Night's Sorrow,  gender, powers, or area of influence-wise?
  19. Can you tell us anything interesting about the Coven?
  20. Will the Oregon turf wars ever be elaborated on in the novels?
  21. If Vin were an Epic, what would her powers and weakness be?
  22. Is there any chance of you eventually publishing an illustrated guide to Epics as a companion to the Reckoners trilogy?
  23. How many humans were killed before Annexation Day?
  24. How symbolic can a weakness be/how strongly must it be connected the root fear.
  25. Is there a reason Dawnslight's influence on New York City wasn't public knowledge, given that he appeared a year before Epics, together with Calamity?

I think the first question on the list is the most valuable to us. ;)

I think I'll ask number 1, and tell him about the RP. If I have time, that is. 

I think an Epic's power level is determined at least in part by the strength of their fear, as well as by how willing they are to act on that fear. Paul Jackson was posting on conspiracy forums before Calamity, talking about how the people needed a strong hand to rule them—and while he probably wouldn't have acted on it without Calamity, once he had the power to act, he acted. Megan Tarash, on the other hand, may have had a stronger fear of fire than the average Joe, but how do you act on a fear of fire? Ban candles? Do that, and the people will mockingly ask if you plan to outlaw buggy whips, too. It's difficult to act on that fear, and most people who fear fire have little desire to take extreme action against it, so Megan's power level was low compared to Steelheart's. 

In a similar vein, we have Fortuity's fear of rejection. From the blessed little we learn of him, we find he is extremely wealthy, he most likely dates a different woman each night, and he has no qualms against using violence to keep his women obedient. That is the most horrific outcome I can think of for a fear of rejection, but most people wouldn't take it nearly that far. No, to get to that point, it would have to be a left-at-the-altar fear of rejection, the sort that keeps you up at night worrying about it happening again. As far as his power level goes, he's easily one of the most powerful precogs in Newcago, if not the Fractured States. He's an unbeatable gambler, and he can dodge bullets from a ​machine gun.

I'm super happy for you, mail-mi. Even if I do wish I lived in Utah so I could pass myself off as a teenager long enough to get into the conference. I mean, everyone who sees me at work says I look too young to work there, so it can't be that hard, right? :ph34r:

Edited by TwiLyghtSansSparkles

I think I'll ask number 1, and tell him about the RP. If I have time, that is. 

I'd never condone kidnapping as a means of acquiring information for an online roleplay... but have you considered taking a roll of thick rope and a deck of novelty Magic: The Gathering Cards to use as bait? :ph34r::P

EDIT: I remember that theory of yours now, Twi. Not only have I seen it before but I've adopted it as my tentative headcanon for a while now... so, take an upvote for taking the time to type it up again? twilightsmile.png

Edited by Kobold King

I'd never condone kidnapping as a means of acquiring information for an online roleplay... but have you considered taking a roll of thick rope and a deck of novelty Magic: The Gathering Cards to use as bait? :ph34r::P

I had not. But I am now.  :ph34r:  :P

So, for a really brief summary, I'm planning on saying something to the effect of "I'm a Sharder, and there are some of us that do a roleplaying game on the site called "what happened in Oregon" which basically is us detailing the events that lead up to Oregon's destruction, and we were wondering if there are any other Epic despots in the West that we could know about?" 

I had not. But I am now.  :ph34r:  :P

So, for a really brief summary, I'm planning on saying something to the effect of "I'm a Sharder, and there are some of us that do a roleplaying game on the site called "what happened in Oregon" which basically is us detailing the events that lead up to Oregon's destruction, and we were wondering if there are any other Epic despots in the West that we could know about?" 

Sounds good to me. Whenever I fantasize about meeting the Bandersnatch I always imagine saying something along those lines. "Hi, I'm a big fan, I'm deeply involved in an RP centered around your work, would you mind answering a question that could help us with anchoring our characters in the setting."

Not... that I spend a great deal of time thinking about this... of course. :ph34r::P

Sounds good to me. Whenever I fantasize about meeting the Bandersnatch I always imagine saying something along those lines. "Hi, I'm a big fan, I'm deeply involved in an RP centered around your work, would you mind answering a question that could help us with anchoring our characters in the setting."

Not... that I spend a great deal of time thinking about this... of course. :ph34r::P

My meeting-the-Bandersnatch scenarios almost always involve me offering him a homemade baked good of some kind. Best to make a good impression, and what makes a better impression than caramel-filled chocolate chip brownies? :ph34r: 

My meeting-the-Bandersnatch scenarios almost always involve me offering him a homemade baked good of some kind. Best to make a good impression, and what makes a better impression than caramel-filled chocolate chip brownies? :ph34r:

Just make sure you supply him with a glass of milk--we don't want him to be to thirsty to answer any questions.

Aside from that caveat, it seems like a good plan. The way to an author's heart is through his stomach, after all. :P:ph34r:

Hopefully not spiked ones!

Also, I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOU MAIL-MI. Hope your story WINS.

Edited by TheSilverDragon

But if you ask him where he gets his inspiration from, who Hoid is or whether some of his books are in the same universe then so help me I will create the most adorable Epic possible then murder them in as heartrendingly cruel a way as I can think of. :P