Your favorite character?

rpggal

Where I would like to live in the cosmere? Taldain, but if that's not an option, Elendel. I'm sorry, but some things are a must, and both of those offer the highest level of technology.

Are we counting only released books? 'Cause then Elendel, hands down.

EDIT: And favorite character? Can you guess?

Hint: Starts with and 'H' and ends with a 'rathen'. :D

Edited by bartbug

• 1 month later...

Galladon is my favorite character. A good man you can trust is hard to find. He showed loyalty and strength. He was not afraid to doubt but maybe he was afraid to get his hopes up. The character was developed very well. His family and upbringing, and interactions with other characters all melded together and in the end we get a rich understanding of his flaws, good traits, and persona. 

My second favorite is Raoden. He is a worthy hero/savior. He is a great leader who is fair,  and whose friends and people would follow in a heart beat. He strong of mind and optimistic. He is aware of the needs of people around him and he is willing to rise to the occasion and be their hope. Other than getting taken by the Shaod, he seems to be perfect. A little too perfect maybe.

• 2 months later...

My favortie is King Iadon..He's kind of lay lows but secretly has a hand in everything. He was clever enough to arrange spies in the city that werent his own people. Sneak his Seon in and seem to have knowledge of this events the whole time. Smart guY?? Some wierd powers?? or Worldhopper?

• 4 weeks later...

I relate most to Karata. Loved the idea of Seons. They kind of remind me of being bonded with a spren. I liked a lot about Kiin. Hrathen was interesting too.

My favorite villain was the hunger and the pervasive pain. I mean, that is just one of many truths about our own lives Sanderson points out. We can fixate on our flesh and become driven by that and nothing more. 

Coincidentally, my husband and I were just reading Man's Search For Meaning by Viktor E. Frankl before  I read Elantris. Some serious overlap in themes between these 2 books. 

Nietzsche said it this way: He who has a Why to live for, can bear almost any How

Oh, Hrathen was definitely the meatiest character. I identified with his internal struggles and have always liked the villain's viewpoint anyways. 

But Galladon made me laugh. I was heartened by Raoden's optimism half the time and annoyed by him the other half. It was nice to hear my thoughts spoken by his best friend in Elantris. 

• 1 month later...

This is why we should avoid voidus in dark alleys.

Well my dp is me with red skin and Inquisitor spikes, plus I voted Hemalurgy as my favourite magic system, there's plenty of reasons I was on the list of people to avoid in dark alleys :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mine are Raoden, and Hrathen.

I really like the parts depicting moments of Self conflicts of Hrathen. His ending is really makes him one of the positives.

Raoden's dialogues are amazing. Oh! Now I really want to re-read the whole novel.

• 3 months later...

It depends on whether you are talking about the final version only, or characters only included in early drafts. In the first draft of Elantris, there is a mad character called Eton, who features in the first draft as a moderately important character.

After the king dies, Eton takes charge, is king for a while, and then dies.

The thing I like about Eton is that there is much humor derived from him, as he is completely mad. I would have loved to have seen the original draft with him in it.

If it is final version only, then my favorite is probably Hrathen.

Edited by TheYoungBard

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Upvoted just for the "kolo" lol

And when do we find out he becomes 17th shard? Cause that's a dank as hell twist. Besides that though, he just helped so much with the story in Elantris. I definitely agree Raoden was just too "perfect" a character. I definitely enjoyed him as a character, he was definitely funny, but Galladon just added that perfect pessimistic juxtaposition.

Upvoted for using the word "dank" as an adjective that does not describe something inhalable or rotting.

Otherwise...I like Hrahen (despite the bandwagon) Brandon has hinted that a dead character may reappear...and I would love for it to be Hrathen.

Edited by hoidhunter

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic