Was thinking on the possible spren and since the second surge for Releasors is death/decay perhaps it is a rot spren.

I am not sure if it is confirmed if rotspren cause rot or are just attracted to it.  I am going to go with the attraction theory.  If that is the case it would be a nice match for someone who had a very destructive power.  Rotspren can detect corruption and foulness (evil) making it easier for the Releasor to identify people that deserve to be released from existence.  Maybe it is a corrupt king or a simple thief but it would be very cool if there was a vindictive spren guiding the bad boys of destruction.  

This may be similar to the functions of skybreaker's justicespren but the difference may be that justice is connected to the pride of the person enforcing the justice.  Skybreakers were known to have a near divine skill for separating the good from the evil but as we know that is a matter of who does the deciding.  Whereas the rotspren is just simply identifying a condition because its necessary of keeping order tying in with the Dustbringer second trait of being obedient.  The difference being a justicespren may say "Amaran has done wrong and deserves to be killed" as opposed to a rotspren's conclusion of "Amaran is bad for Roshar.  He has to go". That could be a big personality distinction between skybreakers and releasors.

I am kind of trying to steer Dustbringers to the character arc I want but will probably be so far off and glad Brandon came up with a better idea.  

Radiant spren are different from those regular spren we have seen. Also, Skybreakers' spren aren't justicespren, but highspren.

Right, i was thinking rotspren into gloryspren like Syl is wind to honor connection i mentioned that in an earlier post sorry for not reposting.

As far as it being diagramesque i guess i didn't define the parameters well enough. I meant more along the lines of evil in its destructive forms whereas skybreakers enforce social mores that men have created. I feel like there has to be some sort of check/balance of granting a radiant the power of death and decay.

Just as kaladin must protect no matter how weak or how much he disagrees with the person maybe a dustbringer has to fight evil no matter how powerful. Bravery brings hope and they are a beacon in the night

Just my hopeful take on the order.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been given the Releasers some more thoughts today. Here are a few random thoughts.

We know the Lightweavers progress by saying truths as opposed to oaths. I believe most of us would agree it seems implausible they would be the only order with an abnormal progression. It also has, in the past, been speculated the Truthwatchers may be one of these orders who progress differently...

What if it were the Dustbringers? Let's be frank, Brandon has been scarce on details about this order. He bluntly told us they were "a special case". Special how? 

We know their first attribute is bravery which is essentially defined as being able to endure danger and pain without showing fear. I would thus believe a proto-Dustbringer would be someone who never lets his/her fears stop him/her, one who would never buckle in the face of danger no matter how scary it is.

So what if Dustbringer are progressing by facing fears as opposed to saying oaths? What if you have to prove your bravery in a similar way as Lightweavers have to prove their honesty? It would make for an interesting progression for such a character, constantly being forced to dive into the action, to swallow his/her own fears, to do what need to be done no matter how scary it is...

We must thus look for a character who is all about facing fears, who's greatest attribute is to never let his own emotions/feelings prevent him/her from acting.

I don't believe we have met such a character yet.

Rysn

@Maxal - upvote

It's hard to remember we don't have even all the basics yet ..more SA please

:lol: It's a new one. I think not everyone would agree with my interpretation, but I'd say it looks bad for current POV characters to be sorted within this order.

All this morality makes for great arguments but please take it to a knew post.

As for Dustbringers, my personal favorite in case you didn't know, I think we are focussing on each of the divine attributes too individually. In each of the Radiants we've seen so far you can see both of the attributes in them. Also the list in the Ars Arcanum is the "traditional Vorin symbolism" and could have been altered ever so slightly in the FIVE THOUSAND years since the last desolation and the fall of the Knights Radiant. that being said, I don't think we can use that as an absolute. What if all the Dustbringers had to become brave, and probably seemed brave, so that is what was associated with them. (I'm basing this mostly on Shallan and how she appears honest to other people, not so much in reality, and she is a confirmed Lightweaver who seek the truth or something like that)

That said (wow that sounded better in my head but you get the idea) I think at least one of the divine attributes has to do with the oaths or other requirements.

• 2 weeks later...

Adolin may be a shardbearer champion and fourth in line for the throne of Alethkar, but deep down he is just a normal guy who

He cares about others. He does not want others to suffer. He was the one who felt how pointless were the deaths caused by the chasmfiend hunt, not Dalinar. He was the one who saved the whore at Sadeas' warcamp. He was the one who remembered the names of the soldiers killed by Sadeas' trap. He keeps a trinket from his dead mother, not Renarin. He talks to his Blade(which used to be an Edgedancer spren) and refuses to name it, almost as he knew its true nature subcounciously. He imprisioned himself in protest after Elhokar had Kaladin arrested. He cares when others forget.

That is why I believe he will be an Edgedancer.

One of the Oaths of the Edgedancers is about remembering the fallen isnt it. I am halfway through WoR for the 17th time and I dont want to look ahead for the quote, spoils the read through.

Edited by FortyShorty26

One of the Oaths of the Edgedancers is about remembering the fallen isnt it. I am halfway through WoR for the 17th time and I dont want to look ahead for the quote, spoils the read through.

I will remember the forgotten. Right before she says it, she also says "Someone has to care". There is a theory the "Someone has to care" was the second oath and the "I will remember the forgotten" is the third. 

If you are on a re-read, here is an interesting things to look-out for Adolin... Pay attention to his pre-dueling ritual and then pay really close attention to Lift in her interlude: she has various lucky objects/actions here and there.

Pay also attention to each time Adolin mentions "This is wrong", "This is not right" and in which circumstances he says it.

These little things are rather interesting.

If you are on a re-read, here is an interesting things to look-out for Adolin... Pay attention to his pre-dueling ritual and then pay really close attention to Lift in her interlude: she has various lucky objects/actions here and there.

What is also interesting is, Adolin was accepted by a Ryshadium, just as was Dalinar, and those horses were traditionally associated with the Radiants. Maybe Ryshadium have the ability to sense Radiant qualities in humans, even before they turn Radiant/know it themselves. And I suspect that a KR can run his bonded Ryshadium on stromlight, just as his squires can use stormlight in a limited way.

Through I agree, that Adolin will probably be an Edgedancer, if he goes Radiant.

Edited by Garfield

What is also interesting is, Adolin was accepted by a Ryshadium, just as was Dalinar, and those horses were traditionally associated with the Radiants. Maybe Ryshadium have the ability to sense Radiant qualities in humans, even before they turn Radiant/know it themselves. And I suspect that a KR can run his bonded Ryshadium on stromlight, just as his squires can use stormlight in a limited way.

Through I agree, that Adolin will probably be an Edgedancer, if he goes Radiant.

Rhysadiums weren't exclusive to the Radiants. The fact Sureblood chose him may or may not mean something.

• 3 weeks later...

I would think that one of the Ideals of the Dustbringers would be:

"I will stop the spread of evil." or "I will stand up against the advancement of evil."

It fits the idea of abrasion in the idea of stopping evil in its tracks, and the idea of standing up for what is right, stopping for a second and saying, "This is wrong." It fits the idea of bravery as well. I could see Adolin saying these words or something similar when justifying Sadeas's fate.

Edited by Battar

I'm still not convinced Adolin has shown us any bravery or courage. I've been trying to recall a scene where he is truly terrified and doesn't want, at all, to do what needs to be done, and yet still does it. Not at the Tower. That was a desperate fight for survival. Not with the dueling challenges. He truly does enjoy battle, he just wants a fair fight even in battle. Now that's noble, but not brave. Hell, Renarin shows more bravery on a constant basis than Adolin. Don't get me wrong. I love Adolin. And if anyone does remember a specific snippet where he shows courage and bravery, please, feel free to shut me down.

Edited by The Ninja Yodeler

• Chaos locked this topic