What did the strange visitors want from Hoid?

Kykeon

Munin said that EUOL confirmed that what one of them spoke was the Dula language, which makes it very likely that they were Elantrians.

Now, three questions: How did they know that Hoid has more power than he likes to admit?

What is the problem they seek help for?

How did they know on which planet to look?

Yes, it's still very early, but that makes it all the more exciting. 

Edited by Kykeon

1) My guess is that they've seen him in action before. It makes no sense for them to seek him out otherwise. As to what he can actually do (whether for them or not), that's an excellent question.

2) Yeah, got nothing on this one. "We seem to have misplaced our Gods, could you help us find them? Aona! Aona?" *Looks under rock* - Seriously, it's not like they don't have quite a lot of problem solving ability of their own. It's got to be something Shard-related, though, or they wouldn't be asking.

3) My guess would be something to do with the Shadesmar. It's apparently how Hoid planet hops, but there's nothing to say you can't be tracked through it. And it's not like there are a whole bunch of planet hoppers around too. So far we know of only Hoid and the 17th Shard.

Actually, that might be why the 17th Shard is looking for Hoid. Randon planet-hopper not from your organization? Too big of a risk if we don't recruit him. Especially if they know anything at all about Hoid....

Well, apparently they're friends of whoever the part 2 epigraphs are addressed to, and that guy (or girl) apparently knew the Shardholders before they got their shards. So that could be where they're getting their information.

I think its very likely that they're there because of events that happen in Elantris 2.  Remember, Brandon's said he plans to write Elantris 2 after the third Stormlight book, and it'll probably come out around 2015.  There are ten Stormlight books, and I can't imagine the biggest revelations about the Shards, Odium and Hoid will come out until near the end of the series, so by that point Elantris 2 will have been out for quite awhile, and maybe even Elantris 3 by that point.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. Elantris 2 and 3 will probably shed light on what the Dula and Thinker want (whom I'm assuming are Raoden and Galladon, naturally), even though that probably won't be a big plot point, since they aren't going to be the main characters of the next Elantris.

Now, for your questions, Munin:

How did they know that Hoid has more power than he likes to admit?

*blinks* I... don't recall them saying that, and I'm looking in interlude one, and what they describe Hoid as is not necessarily powerful, but just that he has a clever tongue, and wears disguises.

What is the problem they seek help for?

I disagree that this is why they are seeking Hoid. If Hoid wrote the letter and these are Seventeenth Sharders, then Hoid is leading them on a goose-chase. I think it's more likely the Seventeenth Shard has been manipulated (possibly by lack of information, from their benefactor--ie: the addressee of the letter) that Hoid is doing something wrong, so they are trying to stop Hoid, not seek his help.

How did they know on which planet to look?

I like Andrew's answer about Shadesmar, but we don't know at all how one can use Shadesmar to track people. Perhaps people could ask those things which reside there? (Are we calling them shadespren? Someone had a good name for those...)

• 6 years later...

I think that Hoid is the seventeenth shard. These Elantrians must know the truth. They are trying to catch him, put him in check. 

They want power, and a shard who obeys them puts them in power.

We left the Elantrians without a god king. As in any kingdom men will start begging for power, they'll start needing to become the god king. These people are men, not awakened, but feel as though they have a chance. They know who Hoid is. If they catch him not only will they be the god king, but the can be god kings over multiple worlds. They can become the closest they can become to shards without actually being one.

1. These are not all elantrians, only galladon is. 2. Hoid is not a shard. 3. The God king and awakening are from Nalthis, not Sel. What does the last part of your post mean? (From *As in any kingdom* onward) I am confused. Also, the last post on this thread was over 7 years ago.

• Chaos locked this topic