I think I found an uh-oh (warning: probable spoilers)

Hum. It's been a while since I've read Elantris, but I was under the impression that, since Kae and Elantris are close, he in fact added it to the collective Elantris-Aon.

I think you're right.

O

||

O=) (=O

||

O

I'm missing two lines, but that's Rao.

__

the center should be this:  )_(

__

and the mark for the chasm would have to go like this:    )_,(

right? That's totally in the city of Elantris.

Hum. It's been a while since I've read Elantris, but I was under the impression that, since Kae and Elantris are close, he in fact added it to the collective Elantris-Aon.

This was my understanding.  Elantris basically looms over Kae, so the chasm is close enough.

At first glance I assumed something like that and the discontinuity kinda bothered me, but I think when the mark for the chasm is added to an Aon, it is added last and to the entire symbol as opposed to just the portion that represents the base symbol Aon. Why it's that way instead of what you would normally think, I have no idea. But that's the only way I can make sense of it. I've only read Elantris once, so maybe I missed the finer details when I was reading. I definitely need to go back and reread it, just because it's a good book.

As per the great one: this is a two part mistake.  Part one is that Jeff (the map artist) didn't get to read the book so he was just going off verbal advise from EUOL.  The second half is that Brandon said it was a legitimate mistake, and the line should infact be inside Elantris.

Of course, if you ask now, he might have an in world answer that works too.

As per the great one: this is a two part mistake.  Part one is that Jeff (the map artist) didn't get to read the book so he was just going off verbal advise from EUOL.  The second half is that Brandon said it was a legitimate mistake, and the line should infact be inside Elantris.

Of course, if you ask now, he might have an in world answer that works too.

Whoa. That's interesting. I never heard that before.

If you look at the map, the chasm is inside the symbol Aon. Elantris and the four surrounding cities form the symbol Rao, with Elantris being in the center representing Aon. So the chasm line should be in Elantris because it's inside the Aon on the map. But that's going by the map in the book, which I remember hearing from somewhere on Brandon's site isn't entirely accurate. So it's possible that the apparent discontinuity is from the map and not the book itself.

For what it's worth, he did start the chasm line in Elantris, but for some reason - mistake, inaccurate map, whatever - in this case, the chasm line continues outside the base symbol of Aon.

Interesting. I never noticed the discrepancy before.

• 1 month later...

I noticed this on the first read through, but I remember Brandon saying something like that.  In the end, i just ignored it.  IT would have been very difficult to scratch a line into elantris, since it's paved, (isn't it?) I suppose.

• Chaos locked this topic