Who would be interested in this?

Quiver

Ask and you shall receive.

I'm really glad to hear that some people got this month finished though, even if I wasn't one of them I'm looking forward to whatever you guys put together.

And, on a slightly different note, I've talked to someone about a prompt for January; after they post it/announce it/whatever, I'll edit it into the first post in this thread (and maybe to the December thread) just for convenience.

Edited by Quiver

And, on a slightly different note, I've talked to someone about a prompt for January; after they post it/announce it/whatever, I'll edit it into the first post in this thread (and maybe to the December thread) just for convenience.

This sounds like a good idea to me, for easy reference and so one day in the future we can look back fondly at all our writing prompts sitting there........

if I'm acting weirder than normal it's because I should really be asleep right now.

If this is where we discuss each other's prompts...

Edge, I liked the way you wove he worldbuilding into characters' actions and dialogue. At no point did a narrator stop to explain Sharpness or the creature they found, but I was able to infer anyway from how they responded to those things.

Is there more? :D

If this is where we discuss each other's prompts...

Edge, I liked the way you wove he worldbuilding into characters' actions and dialogue. At no point did a narrator stop to explain Sharpness or the creature they found, but I was able to infer anyway from how they responded to those things.

Is there more? :D

I think it is.

Thank you, it´s good to know I actually managed to convey the important information. Given that I was still in the first couple thousand words I really didn´t want to stop for an info-dump, so I took a cue from Brandon´s learning curve.

Not yet. I have the rest of the story planned and could write a couple more stories set in the world but I´m not sure yet how much I´ll prioritize writting that.

As for your piece. I liked it, the scene was nicely set up and even if it was short the characters had some nice interactions, showing of their personality.

However, I need to ask one think. Are trees made out of wax an actual thing?

I think it is.

Thank you, it´s good to know I actually managed to convey the important information. Given that I was still in the first couple thousand words I really didn´t want to stop for an info-dump, so I took a cue from Brandon´s learning curve.

Not yet. I have the rest of the story planned and could write a couple more stories set in the world but I´m not sure yet how much I´ll prioritize writting that.

As for your piece. I liked it, the scene was nicely set up and even if it was short the characters had some nice interactions, showing of their personality.

However, I need to ask one think. Are trees made out of wax an actual thing?

The tree wasn't made of wax; it just had branches grown in such a way to accommodate small candles. Like natural candle holders.

The tree wasn't made of wax; it just had branches grown in such a way to accommodate small candles. Like natural candle holders.

Reading over it again phrases like :

hundreds of tiny candles

really should have been clear enough for me. There goes my credibility as someone paying attention to details. <_<

So, I just finished reading Edgedancer and Twilyghts pieces. It's a bit late for line-by-line critiquing though, so I'll do that (for you two and whoever else posts) as soon as I can. For now though, I just wanted to say that I enjoyed them.

Wow! Great-looking submissions. To my shame I haven't read all of them yet. I will amend this ere long, and will hopefully have something constructive to add to the conversation.

But without further ado, let's be about our January business. Quiver has trusted me with this month's prompt, and after a healthy amount of obsessing over it and frantically asking people for advice, I have it. So here's this month's prompt:

Happy New Year! This time of the year the world celebrates the Earth's successful journey across 584 million miles of space, and all the successful journeys behind and ahead of us.

What events or phenomena bind the people of your setting together? How is your setting connected or disconnected to its surroundings?

I hope this is helpful for everyone. A few random setting questions to get the cranial juices flowing:

What plants or animals are endemic to the region? What kind of weather is the region known for? What characterizes the local economy? Are there any mythic or historic characters well known among the populace? How would the people of your setting react to an alien battlecruiser appearing in the sky and declaring war on the planet?

Again, happy New Year and happy writing!

Thanks Kobold! I'll add the prompt to the topic opener as soon as possible.

...but I probably won't be doing it this month. Sorry guys- but I have been drafted by a mob of tiny lizards to write a different fiction, under penalty of votes. Still, looking forward to seeing the results of stuff.

Edited by Quiver

Joining in this time! Seems fun.

Welcome! Do you have a work-in-progress already, or will you be starting from scratch?

Thanks Kobold! I'll add the prompt to the topic opener as soon as possible.

...but I probably won't be doing it this month. Sorry guys- but I have been drafted by a mob of tiny lizards to write a different fiction, under penalty of votes. Still, looking forward to seeing the results of stuff.

I feel your pain. The Social section of the site has become a hotbed for vicious, brutish, well-organized, and strikingly handsome thugs.  :ph34r:  :P

But ya know, I'm sure you could say a lot about the urbanized Ponyville and what its surroundings are like. Are there still apple orchards in abundance outside the city? How has the Everfree Forest been affected by the urbanization? Have the weather teams been forced to employ new techniques to supply water to a larger population? Is there a Flim Flam Factory supplying minimum-wage jobs for the poor?

I'll be doing it again this month. How long should it be, do you think? I could write a decent bit about Spokane if I wanted to. 

I'd love to hear more about Spokane or the state of Washington as a whole. I'm not sure how long it should be, though. I suppose that depends on whether the info will be in a few expositional paragraphs or incorporated into a larger sequence of scenes.

Looking forward to everyone's contributions! Now, to finish reading the contributions from last month...  :ph34r:

Well, it's late. But my post for the December prompt is up. Just over 2000 words. The prose may be a bit purple (which probably means that the scene is in need of a bit of editing), but I suppose that this is what we're here for, right?

And I'm excited for the January prompt. Sounds intriguing and exciting and fiendishly difficult. All at the same time. Impressive, Kobold King. Most impressive.

Ok what is this all about? Are the prompts for Sandersonite-type projects or something else?

Depends on what you mean with Sandersonite, if you mean like writting excuse´s writting prompts then yes, if you mean that something that has to do with Brandon than only if you want it to.

It´s quite simple, really. There´s a prompt and you writte someting, anything you want, that fits the prompt within the month.

Well, it's late. But my post for the December prompt is up. Just over 2000 words. The prose may be a bit purple (which probably means that the scene is in need of a bit of editing), but I suppose that this is what we're here for, right?

And I'm excited for the January prompt. Sounds intriguing and exciting and fiendishly difficult. All at the same time. Impressive, Kobold King. Most impressive.

Thanks. :D To give credit where credit is due, Quiver and TwiLyghtSansSparkles helped me make it more precise and meaningful.

Quick question: who knows what a skybridge is? (This has to do with how much I'll need to explain in my setting description.)

Ah... no. Sorry, but I have absolutely zero idea what a skybridge is. I'm ignorant on a lot of topics though, so my ignorance may not be enough to judge by.

To Google I go...