Why does everyone think that having killed Sadeas will destroy Adolin so much?

Natanaj

Adolin isn't my fave character but he doesn't strike me as a moper. 

I think the thing that is going to come back and bite Adolin is talking to that fanatic ex soldier Ardent Kadash.  The one who has glory spren when he talks about the almighty, you speak to one Ardent you speak to them all. I got a major vibe from that scene....

adolin won't have any trouble with what he did but what others think of what and how he did it will be a problem. and it will get out somehow.

i do wonder if kaladin had happened across them fighting would his oaths/sly require him to protect sadeas.

I just read page one, so this may have been mentioned already.

There is nothing to say each of the Radiant orders are populated by people who are paragons of honour. Each may have their own moral code, so to speak, but from what we have seen, the only order that really requires their Radiants to be honourable are Windrunners, since they bond Honourspren.

Shallan bonded a Liespren, and spends an awful lot of time tricking people into believing she is someone else, or sneaking around getting into places she probably shouldn't

Szeth had his own code as Truthless, but the things he did were horrific, and nowhere near honourable.

Even Jasnah. Not much is known about her spren (I'm not even entirely sure which order she is a member of), but going out and murdering a group of thugs, simply to prove a point. Yes, she may have been doing the city a favour, but it was certainly not an honourable move.

So, for those people arguing that the Knights Radiant all need to be shining examples of paragon and virtue, I suggest you go back and reread the Stormlight Archive. 

• 2 months later...

Well I don't think someone has to be a Radiant to be a good guy. I really hope we'll have characters on the side of good guys who aren't Radiants. Now that I think about it, we already have Radiants that are bad. At least from my point of view. Maybe magic is just a tool in the end and it's not a deciding factor of who's good and who's bad. What I'm trying to say here is that Adolin does not has to be a radiant to be a major protagonist of this story.

There are Knights Radiant orders that will look at what Adolin did have no problem with it.  Like the Dustbringers for example.  Most people will see it as murder but that won't matter to the Dustbringers.  They'll see it as justice (kill one to save a thousand kind of deal).  I think he still has a chance to be a radiant, in fact I'd like to see him become one, and not just because he's my favorite character :D

There are Knights Radiant orders that will look at what Adolin did have no problem with it.  Like the Dustbringers for example.  Most people will see it as murder but that won't matter to the Dustbringers.  They'll see it as justice (kill one to save a thousand kind of deal).  I think he still has a chance to be a radiant, in fact I'd like to see him become one, and not just because he's my favorite character :D

Have you checked the latest theory? Some of us are now convinced Adolin will become an Edgedancer by reviving his beloved Blade. Well, convinced is a strong word, but it is a theory some of us have been pushing forward lately.

Of all the Adolin's theories, it has by far become my favorite :) 

Have you checked the latest theory? Some of us are now convinced Adolin will become an Edgedancer by reviving his beloved Blade. Well, convinced is a strong word, but it is a theory some of us have been pushing forward lately.

Of all the Adolin's theories, it has by far become my favorite :)

I actually just looked into this.  I would have to agree, I think I like this one better than the Dustbringer theory!

I actually just looked into this.  I would have to agree, I think I like this one better than the Dustbringer theory!

If you are a true Adolin's fan, we will convince you -_- It is the only logical progression... First, you think him a Dustbringer, because, OBVIOUS, then you realized you had it wrong the whole time as he truly is an Edgedancer. To the bone -_-

A psychopath? Adolin? Are we reading the same book? A psychopath in an individual characterized by an anti-social behavior and a lack of empathy as well as remorse. Adolin does not even begin to meet this description... Lack of empathy? Adolin is one of the most empathic character in the series, deeply caring for his close ones and even going as far as rescuing a lowly prostitute. He has consistently put himself last, always willing to risk his life, if need be, to protect his family.

Sadeas has betrayed the Kohlins. He has abandoned them to a sure death just so he could get rid of an enemy. He did not care if the life of 10 000 men is required as a collateral damage. Adolin has spent weeks trying to warm Dalinar about Sadeas, but his father would not listen as he was convinced his visions were telling him to trust him. As a result, both Adolin and Dalinar nearly died, but more importantly, 6000 Kohlin soldiers were uselessly slaughtered.

Adolin has never taken those deaths easily. He has sought to get revenge, but was determined to do it following his father's rules. All the while they were plotting to find a way to bring him into the ring, Sadeas was constantly and purposelessly aggravating Adolin, hoping to steer him into boldness. Adolin has consistently kept himself under control.

However, he lost it at the end. True. Sadeas caught him in a moment of weakness and taunted him once more. He basically told him he would do everything in his power to undo his father and there is nothing they could do to make him stop. His last speech almost sounded like a war declaration to house Kohlin, so yeah, Adolin lost it. He was not in his best mental state to begin with: he was still physically injured from the battle and moreover, he is troubled by the Radiants. He is said to wander of alone more and more, to ask himself questions he cannot answer. He was emotionally vulnerable in that moment and he did commit a crime: to protect his father.

And of course, his initial reaction is to act all traces of him being there: he is in shock! It is a completely normal reaction to try to undo your actions by covering your traces when you are panicking. It is like trying to pretend it never happened. In fact, it is very similar to Shallan who selectively forgot about killing her mother. Adolin actions are not the mark of a psychopath, but of a young man who has just done a horrible thing and is trying to cope.

How would this undo Adolin? Simple. Guilt. Adolin is a nice person, caring and loving. He has a good heart, a kind heart. He is not a killer nor is he a soldier. He became one by circumstances, but deep down, he is a duelist. He man who loves the art of fighting, the honor of even fights, not a blood thirsty warrior. Now he has killed a man, he has broken the law, but moreover, he has failed Dalinar. Dalinar is everything to Adolin. He is his hero and his role model. Knowing he has deceived his father will tear him apart. There is also the fact everyone he knows are now Radiants, but him, the murderer. Already, before committing the deed, he was pondering as to where he stand in this new world: a question he could not answer. He'll most likely go into a downward loop of self-depreciation combined with an increased effort to prove himself. Bottom line, he'll get more impulsive and emotional then before.

We could also add to the combo he has lost his Rhysadium. He'll soon find out his Blade is a dead spren he is torturing each time he summons it. He lost the Thrill...

Adolin is not going into a nice place, but I failed to see how he would want to kill more people and discuss it with Kaladin?

Adolin has a lot to deal with now that Kaladin is a Radiant and Shallan is too.

But the thing that is a major factor is that Sureblood is dead. Adolin is devastated and destroyed. This looks like a Anakin Skywalker thing. Maybe Odium is shooting for Adolin as the dark Champion.

Adolin has a lot to deal with now that Kaladin is a Radiant and Shallan is too.

But the thing that is a major factor is that Sureblood is dead. Adolin is devastated and destroyed. This looks like a Anakin Skywalker thing. Maybe Odium is shooting for Adolin as the dark Champion.

Brandon confirmed recently Adolin is not under the influence of Odium, not that I ever thought he was, but it was nice to have confirmation.

Sureblood death's is one other thing that will weight on Adolin's shoulders. By itself, I sincerely doubt it would be sufficient to break him... but it will add on to his other list of worries.

All in all, Adolin is getting into a emotionally vulnerable state of mind, one where he will get constantly overflowed by his own feelings towards events. He'll try to cope, he'll try to maintain his air of composed confidence on his own up until it gets too hard for him and then, he'll break. Emotional crash down...

I do see the wife coming after him for revenge, as well as some of his allies. NOt because they care about him, but because he harmed their own well being.

That is if the wife is able to tie down the murder to Adolin directly, which she won't unless she has decisive proof. My personal guess is the letter Ialai received shortly before Dalinar left for the Plateay fight contained information on Shallan.

She will try to break up the union by having Adolin (and the Radiants) find out the truth about Shallan.

I truly respect what Adolin did. Was it wrong? Well if someone threatens your family with destruction and said person has already betrayed you what would you do? Someone always has to get their hands dirty. Sad but true. There will always be selfish and greedy people who are willing to do anything to meet their ends. Adolin is a true hero. He is willing to ruin his own reputation to save his family and country. He did what needed to be done and what no one else could do and as such ruined a plot to destroy Alethkar ( though admitedly Elhokar's idiotic wife may have already done that ). Thats it.

On a more cheerful note did you know that dolphins get high on puffer fish poison underwater!!! DO NOT TRY THIS!!! Our anatomies cannot handle it and you WILL die! Well so much for cheerful.... I bid you toodles!

Well Sadeas doesn't want Alethkar destroyed. He just thinks what Dalinar is doing with Alethkar will just make things worse and is willing to go that length to make sure his entirely conflicting plan goes through instead.

Though most people will say he deserved it. Honorspren would claim the murder immoral and highspren will claim breach of law, but frankly even most Radiant orders will probably think someone needed to do that a whole lot sooner.

Well Sadeas doesn't want Alethkar destroyed. He just thinks what Dalinar is doing with Alethkar will just make things worse and is willing to go that length to make sure his entirely conflicting plan goes through instead.

Though most people will say he deserved it. Honorspren would claim the murder immoral and highspren will claim breach of law, but frankly even most Radiant orders will probably think someone needed to do that a whole lot sooner.

I think it is safe to assume Bondsmith and Stonewards would disagree with the murder as well. We know Willshapers and Dustbringers have no issues with it. We can safely assume Lightweavers and Elsecallers would agree as well. Edgedancers have no qualms about breaking the rules as long as love/care are the driving motivators. They are therefore probably OK with it.

I have no idea where Truthwatchers would stand on the murder issue. Since they are Cultivation related, I am tempted to say they would not mind.

Sadeas needed to be taken out. Dalinar did not have the means to do it while following his self-imposed honor code. Perhaps Jasnah could have done something, had she been there, but she wasn't. Shallan is not an assassin, so even if she had been approach for this, she would have had her hands tie just the same. Adolin was the only one left able to deal with Sadeas effectively, but his actions will have a cost.

• 1 month later...

Sadeas needed to be taken out. Dalinar did not have the means to do it while following his self-imposed honor code. Perhaps Jasnah could have done something, had she been there, but she wasn't. Shallan is not an assassin, so even if she had been approach for this, she would have had her hands tie just the same. Adolin was the only one left able to deal with Sadeas effectively, but his actions will have a cost.

Shallan killed her father.  And her mother.  Was this already noted?   I admit I didn't read all ten pages.

She killed her mother in self defense, but her father is more grey.  I'd say her killing her father and Adolin killing Sadeas were similar- a dam breaking after months and years of tension, anger, fear, pain, etc building inside them.  

Pattern doesn't seem bothered by Shallan killing her parents.

Maybe it'll deepen Shallan and Adolin's relationship... though I personally think she's enough like Tien to jump on the Kaladin and Shallan wagon.

I really like Adolin, though.

Edited by Aizhen

Shallan killed her father.  And her mother.  Was this already noted?   I admit I didn't read all ten pages.

She killed her mother in self defense, but her father is more grey.  I'd say her killing her father and Adolin killing Sadeas were similar- a dam breaking after months and years of tension, anger, fear, pain, etc building inside them.  

Pattern doesn't seem bothered by Shallan killing her parents.

Maybe it'll deepen Shallan and Adolin's relationship... though I personally think she's enough like Tien to jump on the Kaladin and Shallan wagon.

I really like Adolin, though.

I have always associated Shallan murdering her parents as self-defense. Her mother is a no brainier while her father was actively trying to kill her brother. Sadeas was not actively trying to harm anyone at the time of the murder, which makes Adolin actions fall within a grayer zone.

I personally think Kaladin and Shallan are ill-suited for a romantic relationship. The fact Shallan reminds Kaladin of Tien is not something I see as positive... He was his brother, not his lover... 

I have always associated Shallan murdering her parents as self-defense. Her mother is a no brainier while her father was actively trying to kill her brother. Sadeas was not actively trying to harm anyone at the time of the murder, which makes Adolin actions fall within a grayer zone.

I personally think Kaladin and Shallan are ill-suited for a romantic relationship. The fact Shallan reminds Kaladin of Tien is not something I see as positive... He was his brother, not his lover... 

Shallan was fighting for her brother's when she killed her father, yes.   But I still see a similarity in the two (Sadeas and her father).  Both were killers, manipulators, schemers and out to destroy people to advance themselves.  I see Sadeas as more practiced and skillful at covering his tracks.  I was just saying Shallan can and has killed.  

I wouldn't call Adolin or Shallan assassins.  

I didn't say Shallan reminds Kaladin of Tien, I just see the similarity myself.  I'm not saying it'll go anywhere.  The odds don't sound good for most of the main characters getting a happy ending, unfortunately.  

• Chaos locked this topic