Kajsa does arts® and writes®, yay!

welcome, little wanderers®. if you've ended up here, in the KDAAWY, consider yourself... i'll let you fill in the adjective here. I'll be posting art and writing here, because I've been wanting to have a thread for this stuff specifically but absolutely hated my old thread (oof old work), so I deleted it! Hehehehehehehe. This is where my nice work will go. So yep. I'll probably post in a bit with some character death things, either a write® or an art® or both. We'll see. But anyway if y'all are new to my work, here's a bit of a sneak peek. 

this is one of the seven thousand prefaces for my book:

Spoiler

PREFACE

“...”

“When the lost bird falls, surely the rain will cease.

Every drop of broken blood will spill and touch the breeze,

When the skies are grey, and

No one’s around

To settle the sound

Of shattered calls

That’ll be when the lost bird falls.”

The bard sets aside his lute and takes a long swig of alcohol from a clay mug, setting it down on a wobbly, three-legged stool that matches his own. The tavern is alive with applause and chatter, illuminated by the warm firelight. Somebody calls out, asking where did the song come from, and the bard replies simply:

“Elysia.”

I have a good view of our entertainer from my seat at the counter. He’s old and crinkled with age, face like a fingerprint, but that doesn’t stop him from looking alive. His dark eyes shine with resilience, bushy white eyebrows more expressive than I’ve ever seen, gravelly voice somehow more beautiful than that of a siren. The stool he sits on is old and creaky, one I assume he carries with him wherever he goes. Backed by the firelight, he has an aura of kindness and mystery.

He catches me looking at him and smiles, so I quickly turn away, staring at my hot drink. He’s probably thinking I’m too young to be here, wasting my earnings on spiked cider and hard bread. But he visits this tavern frequently, and I like to hear the songs he brings while I still can, especially the ones from Elysia. Though I grew up there, I’ve never heard this song before. It must be newer.

If I’ve understood the song right, I consider myself to be a sort of lost bird. Though they don’t know it yet, I’ve done everything to protect them.

That was always my job. I was never going to be queen, not at first. I was never going to lead armies. I was never going to be great, remembered, fearless.

I was never going to have what I wanted. But that was okay because I could keep them safe.

I always knew I would protect them. 

So here I sit in a tavern, waiting for my target, tapping my own clay mug with my fingernails. 

Clink, clink, clink.

Here I sit with knives strapped to my belts and inside my boots, poisonous vials in my satchel, death carved in between the letters of my name, syncopated to the beats of my heart. 

I have become the kind of dangerous nobody sees, the kind nobody expects, even after death sweeps through the town and leaves no trace. No man would expect a girl like me to pull a dagger from the waistband of her skirt and drop him dead within moments. 

No man would expect a highborn to be a monster.

But if I stop, if I drop it all, just to be the person my world wants me to be, it will fall apart.

My kills are the one thing keeping my people alive.

Emptying my cup, I shake off my thoughts and push the mug towards the bartender. He fills it back up and adds its price to my final tab; nothing I can’t pay for. 

The bard leisurely picks up his lute once more, clearing his throat and carrying on to the second verse. I rest my head on my arms and listen.

“When the sky burns red, bleeding crimson tears

Blue flames will flow across the earth, and when the grey smoke clears

Purple will be the color that scrapes against the skies

Dancing across our deathbeds and relishing our demise…”

this is the antagonist of said book after she is too far gone to save:

Spoiler

IMG_3100.thumb.jpeg.97702a08e94dc1438d4bbccf7aaf2205.jpg.168e54ec769e03c808f942cd0224697d.jpg

and yep, that's all i have for now but i will be back later with more, hehe. 

4 minutes ago, Kajsa said:

welcome, little wanderers®. if you've ended up here, in the KDAAWY, consider yourself... i'll let you fill in the adjective here. I'll be posting art and writing here, because I've been wanting to have a thread for this stuff specifically but absolutely hated my old thread (oof old work), so I deleted it! Hehehehehehehe. This is where my nice work will go. So yep. I'll probably post in a bit with some character death things, either a write® or an art® or both. We'll see. But anyway if y'all are new to my work, here's a bit of a sneak peek. 

Reveal hidden contents

PREFACE

“...”

No one’s around

To settle the sound

Of shattered calls

The bard sets aside his lute and takes a long swig of alcohol from a clay mug, setting it down on a wobbly, three-legged stool that matches his own. The tavern is alive with applause and chatter, illuminated by the warm firelight. Somebody calls out, asking where did the song come from, and the bard replies simply:

“Elysia.”

I have a good view of our entertainer from my seat at the counter. He’s old and crinkled with age, face like a fingerprint, but that doesn’t stop him from looking alive. His dark eyes shine with resilience, bushy white eyebrows more expressive than I’ve ever seen, gravelly voice somehow more beautiful than that of a siren. The stool he sits on is old and creaky, one I assume he carries with him wherever he goes. Backed by the firelight, he has an aura of kindness and mystery.

He catches me looking at him and smiles, so I quickly turn away, staring at my hot drink. He’s probably thinking I’m too young to be here, wasting my earnings on spiked cider and hard bread. But he visits this tavern frequently, and I like to hear the songs he brings while I still can, especially the ones from Elysia. Though I grew up there, I’ve never heard this song before. It must be newer.

If I’ve understood the song right, I consider myself to be a sort of lost bird. Though they don’t know it yet, I’ve done everything to protect them.

That was always my job. I was never going to be queen, not at first. I was never going to lead armies. I was never going to be great, remembered, fearless.

I was never going to have what I wanted. But that was okay because I could keep them safe.

So here I sit in a tavern, waiting for my target, tapping my own clay mug with my fingernails. 

Clink, clink, clink.

Here I sit with knives strapped to my belts and inside my boots, poisonous vials in my satchel, death carved in between the letters of my name, syncopated to the beats of my heart. 

I have become the kind of dangerous nobody sees, the kind nobody expects, even after death sweeps through the town and leaves no trace. No man would expect a girl like me to pull a dagger from the waistband of her skirt and drop him dead within moments. 

But if I stop, if I drop it all, just to be the person my world wants me to be, it will fall apart.

Emptying my cup, I shake off my thoughts and push the mug towards the bartender. He fills it back up and adds its price to my final tab; nothing I can’t pay for. 

The bard leisurely picks up his lute once more, clearing his throat and carrying on to the second verse. I rest my head on my arms and listen.

Reveal hidden contents

IMG_3100.thumb.jpeg.97702a08e94dc1438d4bbccf7aaf2205.jpg.168e54ec769e03c808f942cd0224697d.jpg

*Excitment_Bursting_Noises* 

18 minutes ago, Kajsa said:

Reveal hidden contents

PREFACE

“...”

No one’s around

To settle the sound

Of shattered calls

“Elysia.”

Clink, clink, clink.

Reveal hidden contents

1. That freaking lighting is so good. The backlight and bounce light and whatnot is genuinely impressive (I've seen it before, but it's way easier to see on computer)

2. Please keep that preface, at least in some form, it's just so cool thematically and I think it's just so cool and please let me read the whole thing when you're done

10 minutes ago, Wittles said:

1. That freaking lighting is so good. The backlight and bounce light and whatnot is genuinely impressive (I've seen it before, but it's way easier to see on computer)

2. Please keep that preface, at least in some form, it's just so cool thematically and I think it's just so cool and please let me read the whole thing when you're done

1. OH MY SCUD I'M SO GLAD YOU NOTICED THANK YOU SO MUCH :D lighting and rendering was definitely my main focus for that specific piece.

2. Aw, thank you so much! It's definitely one of my favorites that I've written so far. It's just ambiguous enough while not losing the reader (i hope)

5 minutes ago, justice magician said:

W H A T 

Kajsa your stuff its so good toooooo!!!

I loved the style in your writing, it felt really poetic.

oh thanks 🥰🥰🥰 i've been writing for ~6+ years now, and i'm trying to get really back into it after almost 8 months of stagnation haha, so this means a lot to me!!! 

3 minutes ago, Kajsa said:

1. OH MY SCUD I'M SO GLAD YOU NOTICED THANK YOU SO MUCH :D lighting and rendering was definitely my main focus for that specific piece.

2. Aw, thank you so much! It's definitely one of my favorites that I've written so far. It's just ambiguous enough while not losing the reader (i hope)

oh thanks 🥰🥰🥰 i've been writing for ~6+ years now, and i'm trying to get really back into it after almost 8 months of stagnation haha, so this means a lot to me!!! 

That's a really long time, holy crap!! I've only just started dipping my toes in.

11 minutes ago, justice magician said:

That's a really long time, holy crap!! I've only just started dipping my toes in.

yeah, it's crazy to think that i still haven't actually finished a book yet... my current project is 4 years in, and i still don't have a draft finished, but the world and characters and plot are so scrumptious and all i have to do now is put it on paper

1 hour ago, Kajsa said:

Reveal hidden contents

PREFACE

“...”

No one’s around

To settle the sound

Of shattered calls

“Elysia.”

Clink, clink, clink.

Reveal hidden contents

Those are so good, Kajsa!! Oh my goodness!

Just now, Through The Living Glass said:

Those are so good, Kajsa!! Oh my goodness!

omgoodness y’all are too kind ❤️ thank you!!

3 hours ago, @Kajsa wrote in their preface the word “Elysia”

dude I saw that and was like “[friend’s name].” Because that’s literally his name on discord ._.

i broke it again

Even just the preface is storming awesome!!

okay so i did some things during geometry

because shapes

and inspiration

circle man:

Spoiler

IMG_3647.thumb.jpeg.41cd6de9cdfb8b66755b68e013b22b8a.jpeg

triangle lady:

Spoiler

IMG_3648.thumb.jpeg.5b89551e75409d2a9de203dab76ed0c7.jpeg

square boi:

Spoiler

IMG_3649.thumb.jpeg.2994e121c6b87792cf0ef75e8e1636fc.jpeg

octagon dude (at the request of my guy friend—slight jump scare warning) :

Spoiler

IMG_3650.thumb.jpeg.78a4441973a3608c3c4097681b2ca5f3.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Kajsa said:

because shapes

and inspiration

circle man:

Reveal hidden contents

triangle lady:

Reveal hidden contents

square boi:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Well that last one is mildly disturbing

Good job though

3 hours ago, Kajsa said:

because shapes

and inspiration

circle man:

Hide contents

triangle lady:

Hide contents

square boi:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Super cool!

The square one kinda looks like Nomad from sunlit man lol

2 hours ago, Kajsa said:

because shapes

and inspiration

circle man:

Reveal hidden contents

triangle lady:

Reveal hidden contents

square boi:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

the last one is my favorite

3 minutes ago, justice magician said:

Super cool!

The square one kinda looks like Nomad from sunlit man lol

imo, the square one looks like a chad

6 hours ago, Kajsa said:

because shapes

and inspiration

circle man:

Reveal hidden contents

triangle lady:

Reveal hidden contents

square boi:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Those look awesome!

The last one though… ehm… looks good but slightly creepy.

46 minutes ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

Those look awesome!

The last one though… ehm… looks good but slightly creepy.

haha i love that everyone is disturbed by it

because that was the sole point for its existence

heheheheheh