Community World Building Project

So I am writing a book world where the entire planet is tidally locked in the middle of a trinary star system. because of this, the entire planet is bathed endlessly in daylight ranging from dawnlight to sunset level of light depending on the part of the world. This world will end up being based on real-world science and technology. 

The only thing that will be different at this point is that megafauna never became extinct and that there are no natural disasters that could have wiped out the dinosaurs. So we have woolly mammoths, dinosaurs and humans co-existing in one world. 

Also because of the constant daylight the world in most parts is covered with colossal jungles and forests. There are some snowy forest tundras in the South Pole as that is where the least amount of light is. There are no deserts. All the trees in the world are much bigger than a humans. A “small” leaf would be about the size of an average-height adult. 

the city where my book series is set is built up into a group of trees. Yes, cities are built up into the trees like treehouses only bigger and connected by a web of walkways. 

What I want is to see if the writers here on the shard want to gather together to create our own unique world a bit like one of Sanderson's worlds.

this will be completely unrelated to my book series but I thought that the world that it inhabits would be interesting to worldbuild.

This reminds me of something I did at the LTUE writing convention in February, called Arium. Maybe look it up; its structure is designed for in-person use, but there might be a way to adapt it to a forum setting and have it work just as well. When I did it at the test run at LTUE, it was both super fun and we came up with something crazy cool and unique. (Though I'm still waiting for the worldbuilding notes I was promised from that event... I guess it's taking them a while to get everything compiled.)

Edit: Just Googled it again; it's from Adept Icarus, so if the link you end up with has Adept Icarus in it that's the right one.

Edited by Ookla

7 hours ago, Ookla said:

This reminds me of something I did at the LTUE writing convention in February, called Arium. Maybe look it up; its structure is designed for in-person use, but there might be a way to adapt it to a forum setting and have it work just as well. When I did it at the test run at LTUE, it was both super fun and we came up with something crazy cool and unique. (Though I'm still waiting for the worldbuilding notes I was promised from that event... I guess it's taking them a while to get everything compiled.)

Edit: Just Googled it again; it's from Adept Icarus, so if the link you end up with has Adept Icarus in it that's the right one.

i will definatly have a look at it but what I was thinking was creating a google doc then letting you all go crazy with your ideas. 

7 hours ago, The Stormfather said:

They would use megafauna as mounts, wouldn't they?

most definitely yes. 

3 minutes ago, The Stormfather said:

GIANT CHICKEN CAVALRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"basically yeah! I didn't think of it that way but yeah! giant chicken cavalry! 

I was mostly thinking of scales but feathers would also be amazing.

5 minutes ago, The Stormfather said:

Honestly scales would be cooler but hey, chickens are pretty cool.

Also there could be two bordering countries, one with reptilian things with scales and one with bird-like feathered creatures.

why think so small with only 2 countries? i was thinking many 5 or 6. each different in there form of government. that way there could be unique trade agreements and treatys between them...

tomorrow I can post a google doc containing all of my worldbuilding for this world and you could contribute if you want. it would have to wait though...

On 5/3/2024 at 10:47 PM, RoyalBeeMage said:

So I am writing a book world where the entire planet is tidally locked in the middle of a trinary star system. because of this, the entire planet is bathed endlessly in daylight ranging from dawnlight to sunset level of light depending on the part of the world. This world will end up being based on real-world science and technology. 

The only thing that will be different at this point is that megafauna never became extinct and that there are no natural disasters that could have wiped out the dinosaurs. So we have woolly mammoths, dinosaurs and humans co-existing in one world. 

Also because of the constant daylight the world in most parts is covered with colossal jungles and forests. There are some snowy forest tundras in the South Pole as that is where the least amount of light is. There are no deserts. All the trees in the world are much bigger than a humans. A “small” leaf would be about the size of an average-height adult. 

the city where my book series is set is built up into a group of trees. Yes, cities are built up into the trees like treehouses only bigger and connected by a web of walkways. 

What I want is to see if the writers here on the shard want to gather together to create our own unique world a bit like one of Sanderson's worlds.

this will be completely unrelated to my book series but I thought that the world that it inhabits would be interesting to worldbuild.

I like this idea

Just now, TwinSouls said:

I like this idea

thank you. 

so because i was not buisy for the last few moments I ended up creating a google doc for you all to start looking over. i still need to add most of my notes but that I will save for tomorrow. 

i don't entirely know how to turn on the anonamus mode but I think I did it. let me know if it didn't work

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1syBsqw8qWTndGNimNWyLZJ07BSnFuSQXR_rt6GuOTLU/edit?usp=sharing

1 minute ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

thank you. 

so because i was not buisy for the last few moments I ended up creating a google doc for you all to start looking over. i still need to add most of my notes but that I will save for tomorrow. 

i don't entirely know how to turn on the anonamus mode but I think I did it. let me know if it didn't work

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1syBsqw8qWTndGNimNWyLZJ07BSnFuSQXR_rt6GuOTLU/edit?usp=sharing

I’m not sure you’re on anonymous mode…

does that matter?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TwinSouls said:

I’m not sure you’re on anonymous mode…

does that matter?

not realy but i know that you are. i will try and fix that though. 

Edited by RoyalBeeMage

I think he said modern

On 5/4/2024 at 12:47 AM, RoyalBeeMage said:

is world will end up being based on real-world science and technolo

maybe I'm misunderstanding that though

6 hours ago, Experience said:

How advanced are we thinking people are? Stone age? Iron? Modern?

33 minutes ago, Lego Mistborn said:

I think he said modern

maybe I'm misunderstanding that though

what i ment by this is that it would relisticly follow how earth progressed. if there is not long enough relisticly for new technology to be developed then it wont exist. i was thinking that it would be pre industrial- steam age. it could end up being modern in other places than the jungle which would definitely be pre industrial.

14 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

what i ment by this is that it would relisticly follow how earth progressed. if there is not long enough relisticly for new technology to be developed then it wont exist. i was thinking that it would be pre industrial- steam age. it could end up being modern in other places than the jungle which would definitely be pre industrial.

Isn't basically everything the jungle tho?

1 hour ago, Experience said:

Isn't basically everything the jungle tho?

There are the poles which are basically planes and the underground which is dark. I assume that there is also a ocean 

1 hour ago, Lego Mistborn said:

Pre-industrial makes sense, given dinosaurs and other megafauna greatly inhibited the development of smaller species.

it also masivly slows down the progression of any tech that requires being developed near water or on the ground. metal is rare! water wheels are not even developed yet. 

2 hours ago, WhyEverNot_8 said:

I’ve got ideas for a swamp, which I’ve put in the doc, but I don’t know what kinds of plants that would grow in it, besides the Mangroves.

Big swamp plants.

And sentient seaweed.

Put in sentient seaweed.

1 hour ago, Ancient Elantrian said:

Big swamp plants.

And sentient seaweed.

Put in sentient seaweed.

Ooooooooooh yes!

Sentient Seaweed

Also is there a map?

Edited by WhyEverNot_8