Stormlight Healing: How To Get Storming Yoked

So I'm thinking if Stormlight heals you based on your self image then there should be no upper limit to how muscular a Knight Radiant can get. I'm talking straight meat diesel.

Here's my case in point: the pump.

When your muscles are having a pump you experience a feeling of... euphoria. And your muscles look physically bigger because they're swollen and flooded with blood.

With this in mind, we can assume that anyone with Stormlight Healing could get catastrophically storming huge.

Here's how we do it. Kaladin and the boys suck down a load of stormlight and rock up to the gym.

They then work out till they hit a pump and stare at themselves shirtless while the euphoric feeling of the pump brainwashes them into thinking they actually look like this.

Stormlight healing reinforces their self image and it doesn't have to actually do all that much work because their muscles are already that big.

Rinse and repeat.

It goes without saying this would work best on The Lopen.

Within the week we have to give Bridge Four new names.

Kaladin Stormblessed - Kaladin Swoleblessed

Rock - Block

Teft - Chest

The Lopen - The Yokeden

Skar - Bar

Sigzyl - Squatzyl

Dabbid - Lattib

Drehy - Wheyhy

1 hour ago, RefusesToElaborate said:

So I'm thinking if Stormlight heals you based on your self image then there should be no upper limit to how muscular a Knight Radiant can get. I'm talking straight meat diesel.

When your muscles are having a pump you experience a feeling of... euphoria. And your muscles look physically bigger because they're swollen and flooded with blood.

With this in mind, we can assume that anyone with Stormlight Healing could get catastrophically storming huge.

Here's how we do it. Kaladin and the boys suck down a load of stormlight and rock up to the gym.

They then work out till they hit a pump and stare at themselves shirtless while the euphoric feeling of the pump brainwashes them into thinking they actually look like this.

Stormlight healing reinforces their self image and it doesn't have to actually do all that much work because their muscles are already that big.

Rinse and repeat.

Rock - Block

Teft - Chest

The Lopen - The Yokeden

Skar - Bar

Sigzyl - Squatzyl

Dabbid - Lattib

Drehy - Wheyhy

Love the new names. 😆

From what I've found, it does seem like this could work.

So, what Stormlight healing does is it realigns the Radiant's body with their Spiritual aspect. WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner

Stormlight, I know it heals wounds and stuff like that but can it heal illnesses like colds?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes it can.

Questioner

So if Kaladin suddenly contracted brain cancer...

Brandon Sanderson

It's plausible-- it depends, see what it does is it takes your body and makes it align with your spirit, and partially through the filter of how you view yourself. So if you view yourself as sickly, then you won't.

Salt Lake City Comic-Con 2014 (Sept. 4, 2014)

RoW and OB spoilers:

Spoiler

So like, when The Lopen regrows his arm back at the end of RoW and beginning of OB, the reason he is able to grow it back is because he never viewed himself as being disabled. On the other hand, Kaladin's scars stayed because of how he perceived himself.

WoB:

Spoiler

Questioner

I notice that Stormlight seems to be a bit volatile in how well it heals or who it heals. Because it seems like Renarin's eyesight would have been a long term problem, kinda like Rysn's legs maybe and Lopen's arm. But Lopen's arm got healed, Rysn's legs didn't and Kaladin's scars didn't. So I didn't know if there was a reason for those things.

Brandon Sanderson

So Stormlight healing, there's a couple things that have to be considered. But in reference to what you're saying, the person's perception of themselves is a huge part of it.  The way healing works in the cosmere is, you've got the three versions of yourself. You've got your Physical version, your Cognitive version, and your Spiritual version, And a lot of Stormlight is taking your Physical version and matching it to the Spiritual version which is your ideal self.  But it has to be filtered through the lens of your mind, and things like this.

I almost always--probably should say always--am using it to reinforce some sort of character attribute. The fact that Lopen never saw himself, even though he only had one arm, as being disabled, as a big influence, versus whether Kaladin feels deserves his brands or not. Does that makes sense?  And those are two very different things that influence how the healing works. And you will see that as a metaphor and theme, if you watch what heals and what doesn't.

Orem signing (March 10, 2018)

I also happened upon this WoB. Apparently, if you were to change someone's mental image of themselves enough, they could become a Listener in the right circumstances:

Spoiler

learhpa

Given that Stormlight healing matches to mental self-image (as shown by both the Lopen and by the Reshi monarch), could a really powerful hypnotist change someone's self-image in a way that would affect Stormlight healing? Could a powerful hypnotist use Stormlight healing to change a human into a listener?

Brandon Sanderson

Theoretically possible...to an extent. There is a limit to this, but the limitation is the amount of Investiture you have and access to Stormlight—or you know, Voidlight—can evidence this. Transformations that are happening in the storm to the listener forms are involved in this. That could theoretically happen to a human as well. But you would basically—what most likely would happen is it would have to involve a specific set of circumstances and then entering the storm, and then exiting as a listener—that could happen. You guys ask some farfetched things—that one's not so farfetched. It does require some specificity, but it could happen.

YouTube Spoiler Stream 5 (Dec. 2, 2022)

There are other instances of things like this, but I think that if it's possible for someone to change species through their self-image, it should definitely be possible for them to become more muscular if their self-perception changes.

Anyway, that's the conclusion I came to. Feel free to do your own research. 😄

Edited by Through The Living Glass

12 hours ago, RefusesToElaborate said:

Rinse and repeat.

Rock - Block

Teft - Chest

The Lopen - The Yokeden

Skar - Bar

Sigzyl - Squatzyl

Dabbid - Lattib

Drehy - Wheyhy

Lol. I love the enthusiasm. Yeah, it seems like this would work just fine within the self-contained rosharan system of fantastical magic. Given the metaphorical nature of how investiture and stormlight translate in a general storytelling sense though, I wouldn't expect any koloss-sized radiants to ever appear on screen unfortunately (fortunately!). Recall: Koloss require four human-sacrifices and a hacked host-body that essentially gets brain-wiped to make...super-swole is technically possible, it just comes with a terrible price!

1 hour ago, hwiles said:

Lol. I love the enthusiasm. Yeah, it seems like this would work just fine within the self-contained rosharan system of fantastical magic. Given the metaphorical nature of how investiture and stormlight translate in a general storytelling sense though, I wouldn't expect any koloss-sized radiants to ever appear on screen unfortunately (fortunately!). Recall: Koloss require four human-sacrifices and a hacked host-body that essentially gets brain-wiped to make...super-swole is technically possible, it just comes with a terrible price!

Given the apparent size of Rosharans im putting money on Shaq sized Bridge 4.

Except The Lopen, he comes out the size of Andre The Giant.

I don't doubt it's possible, but I think it might require more work than just the pump. Or if it does, it would take a while.

Misborn 

Spoiler

Otherwise any feruchemmist with pewter and gold would be very swole.

8 minutes ago, Argenti said:

I don't doubt it's possible, but I think it might require more work than just the pump. Or if it does, it would take a while.

Misborn 

Hide contents

Otherwise any feruchemmist with pewter and gold would be very swole.

Spoiler

Wasn't TLR a big, big boy?

5 minutes ago, RefusesToElaborate said:
  Hide contents

Mistborn

Spoiler

He is described as tall and sexy, but IDK if that's muscular. 
Whether this is true or not, this is meme worthy

Edited by Argenti

5 hours ago, RefusesToElaborate said:
  Hide contents

5 hours ago, Argenti said:

Mistborn

Hide contents

He is described as tall and sexy, but IDK if that's muscular. 
Whether this is true or not, this is meme worthy

Mistborn spoilers:

Spoiler

He was muscular (sexy? where in the book was that word? :P), but that's from tapping pewter - after Vin ripped his metalminds out, his muscles deflated. TFE ch 38:

A normal, if muscular, back. Unlike the Inquisitors, the Lord Ruler didn’t have a spike driven through his spine.
[...]
He looked . . . tired. Exhausted, even. Not his body—it was still muscular.
[...]
His muscles grew limp, deflating as Sazed’s had.

1 minute ago, alder24 said:

Mistborn spoilers:

Hide contents

He was muscular (sexy? where in the book was that word? :P), but that's from tapping pewter - after Vin ripped his metalminds out, his muscles deflated. TFE ch 38:

Mistborn

Spoiler

If that's true, then it's strange to imagine stormlight would be better for it.