The Shard Combo Chart

Very interesting. However, I do not believe that this new information proves my Shard Chart wrong. The reason for this is because it cannot be wrong; neither can it be right. It is not meant to be; it is merely speculation. If we were simply ascertaining which attributes would form from a perfect combination of the two branched Shards, attributes similar to what I have put forth would arise. However, when one is considering the Intent of the Shard, the history of the Shard, the location, the Vessel's circumstances, and thousands of other small contributors like these, of course my Chart will show holes. I am not Brandon.

However, stretching something like this shows its strength too. I applaud you for questioning knowledge. And those of you with an open mind who takes this for what it is has hopefully gleaned a small bit of perspective as to my thoughts when I created this.

Know that my revisions will be far more secure in the future.

The Ultimate Archivist

On 4/25/2024 at 6:32 PM, Espella said:

Justice makes sense for a lot of the same reasons War does, both fundamentally are based around the idea of bringing wrath/hatred against only those who deserve it, i.e. dealing out Odium in an Honorable fashion. I feel like the theoretical combination could easily end up as either Justice or War depending on the mindset of whoever the new bearer was and how they viewed the combination.

I think Retribution as a name would work really well.

"punishment inflicted on someone as vengeance for a wrong or criminal act."

22 hours ago, The Stick said:

I would like to take the Shard Intent changing to another level.

How do we think Taravangian will start trying to manipulate the Intent of Odium, and how will Cultivation try to manipulate him.

Rayse was trying to claim he was Passion rather than Odium when he was in charge so that might be a direction Taravangian could take, though that doesn't really seem to match his style. Based on his scene with Cultivation in Rhythm of War it seems like he's more calculating with his hatred, making plans and executing precision strikes against the other shards that he sees as failing their people (if he ever manages to get out of the Roshar system) in his goal to "save" everyone in the most brutal way possible, basically channeling that hatred into being extremely over-protective, dispensing a god's wrath on all enemies of his people. If he plays his cards right he can probably claim to be working for the good of Roshar and keep Cultivation on his side until he gets a chance to double-cross her.

Basically Rayse seemed to have the interpretation of Odium as being full of passion and giving in to destructive urges, whereas Taravangian seems like at least at the beginning he'll be aiming for a more focused hatred, constantly plotting to take down his enemies but having the restraint to only show his hand when he knows he can win. I doubt there would be enough of a shift in focus there to change the word of the intent (despite Rayse's claims, nobody else is calling him Passion) but it's definitely a different approach to the same intent.

I really like the chart! Fun thinking for sure! 

I choose to believe that the 16th shared is Prudence rather than Wisdom. 

Paleo

In May, in Germany, you told me that... or I asked whether Wisdom was a Shard, and you said it was or something like it, and that wisdom was close to an intent of a Shard, and you also told me that it has realized that survival isn't necessarily the most important thing for it. I wanted to ask whether it has realized that over time or was it from the get go?

Brandon Sanderson

Over time.

Paleo

Okay, so then naturally, my next question: Is it the survival Shard?

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO.

Paleo

And then somebody actually came up with another good probable name. Is Prudence close?

Brandon Sanderson

Prudence sounds an awful lot like a Shard name. That's some excellent theorizing there.

Prague Signing (Oct. 26, 2019)

But like you said this is all in fun and you're not trying to call it canon. I applaud your efforts!

On 4/29/2024 at 2:53 PM, Pineap-spider said:

I just see all the grey boxes and go "I wonder what I could come up with here..."

I did my best (this was a collaboration with @The Stormfather) (Spoilered for length)

Spoiler

Whimsy and Devotion : Chaos

Virtuosity and Dominion : Leadership

Honor and Whimsy : Honesty

Honor and Virtuosity : Music

Cultivation and Preservation : The Curator

Cultivation and Valor : Training

Odium and Mercy : Blackmail

Preservation and Whimsy : Rebellion

Preservation and Virtuosity : Patron

Ruin and Mercy : Imprisonment

Ruin and Virtuosity : Propaganda

Autonomy and Ambition : Striving

Virtuosity and Autonomy : Prodigy

Mercy and Ambition : DEATH

Ambition and Endowment : Master

Valor and Endowment : Order

Valor and Invention : Civil Engineer/Emergency technician

Valor and Virtuosity : Escape

Wisdom and Mercy : Justice

Edited by The Sibling

Great chart! This gets really tough with Shards like Whimsy.

An endowment is already a gift, I think Honor + Endowment needs to be something else. Like Inheritance where property is passed down based on a code of laws and a will. Sounds like a boring Shard :)

Mercy + Ruin = Nihilism. End all suffering in the Cosmere by killing everyone. 

Odium + Virtuosity = Art Criticism. Giving the Cosmere 2 thumbs down. 

Edited by Child of Hodor