What is Hoid's ultimate goal

Nikaro

• 2 weeks later...

The way Hoid seems to Connect to just about every known Shard is a little suspicious, but recombining them all into one doesn't really sound like Hoid to me.

I personally speculate that he might be working for a Cosmere-wide unity or something. By spreading knowledge of the Cosmere, he would forge Connections between different cultures and people...

(Sunlit Man spoilers)

Spoiler

This lines up with the idea that the Dawnshard Hoid once carried had the Intent to Connect and Remain (discussed here).

That's just me, though, totally up for personal interpretations!

Edited by MindMeltingMistwraith
Fixed link

I fell like we probably need to know why Adonalsium was shattered in the first place, in order to speculate what Hoid's goal(s) are? He didn't want a shard after the act was done, but he was present for the shattering, and possibly/probably assisted in that act. Is he acting on plans he's had since before that, or has he changed his mind on things since then?

I really have no proof for this, except that hoid helped shatter Ado in the first place, but his goal seems to be to keep all the shards separate, keeping as many of them intact and separate.

Some relevant wobs on the matter attached. They don't shed too much light but I found them interesting. Personally I think Hoid is collecting all of the magic systems as a way of Connecting himself to all the shards (or as many as he can), and once he has done that he will move on to phase 2.

What that phase is I can only guess but in my head he is either going to use his Connection to try and reform all of the shads (who knows if that is the same as Adonalsium) for himself and / or use his Connection to them to splinter the shards and 'complete' the shattering of Adonalsium.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 3.37.35 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-30 at 1.59.23 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 1.13.33 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-05-02 at 1.19.52 PM.png

Edited by CtrlAltDepressed

On 4/15/2024 at 8:12 PM, Nikaro said:

What do you think Hoid's ultimate goal is?

I remember seeing people saying that his goal will be to reform and become Ado, but what else theories are there?

I won’t pull the full quote but in tWoK ch. 54 he asks Dalinar basically “hey if you tear a man apart and put him back together would he still be the same man?”

Which points toward putting Ado back together. I don’t think he wants to become Ado. He seems more selfless than that in his weird way. He was offered a Shard and turned it down. He doesn’t seem to want to be god.