Question and Answer

Zas678

Were/are the Bondsmiths charged with assigning other Knights Radiant their spren?

Aside from the name's obvious implication we know that there were only 3 of them which is mostly because their spren were a lot more rare than the rest of the orders' but we also see that for example the Stormfather has dominion over lesser spren, so it would make sense for their humans to command these spren - to bond with the other Knights.

What was the sphere Gavalar gave Szeth? Was it a Breath infused sphere? If so, what's the significance, was it simply meant as proof of the cosmere to Gavalar?

We don't actually know. My headcanon/theory is that it is a Dawnshard, or perhaps what is left of one

I don't know if this has been asked or discussed before, but I just left a signing and asked Brandon if it was possible that Hoid had any descendants running around in the books. He replied "It's possible." But wouldn't give any details on whether or not we had or would see it.

Edited by WhiskeyJackDaniels

I don't know if this has been asked or discussed before, but I just left a signing and asked Brandon if it was possible that Hoid had any descendants running around in the books. He replied It's possible." But wouldn't give any details on whether or not we had or would see it.

Cool. Would you mind posting in (or starting, if there is none yet) the event thread for the signing?

Hey folks, I have a quick Emperor's Soul question for Kurkistan any avid memorizers of WoB.

Really, I guess this is 2 questions:

1) What happens to an already in-place forgery leaving town?

2) What happens when you try to apply an already-built stamp to an object/person when you're in a different area code? 

For both questions, I really mean, like, a Scaldrian area code.  Pretty sure we debated this a while back and there was some WoB that says "nay" to either working.

Edited by Pechvarry

Hey folks, I have a quick Emperor's Soul question for Kurkistan any avid memorizers of WoB.

Really, I guess this is 2 questions:

1) What happens to an already in-place forgery leaving town?

2) What happens when you try to apply an already-built stamp to an object/person when you're in a different area code? 

For both questions, I really mean, like, a Scaldrian area code.  Pretty sure we debated this a while back and there was some WoB that says "nay" to either working.

In all honesty, if you want me to weigh in on something you're not that well off just relying on me happening to read the post. ;)

--

It looks like even in-place Forging flat-out stops working if you get too far away from MaiPon, so I doubt that trying to apply a new stamp altogether would help matters.

Source:

Viper: Aons look like Arelon; soulstamps look like MaiPon. Aons get weaker when you get further from Arelon, right? That's not just cause Elantris acts like a focus?

BS: That's right, it's based on distance. That's why there are no stamped objects in Elantris.
Viper: So do soulstamps get weaker further from MaiPon? If you left Sel via Shadesmar and went to another planet, would the soulstamp stop working?
BS: That's correct.

A few questions:

Do we know what peoples were created by their Shards vs pre-existing?

Do we know if the Dor predates the Splintering of Devotion and Dominion?

What is the best understanding we have of a timeline for the Cosmere stories? Not just order, but actual time.

I'm a little confused about the koloss. Harmony made them so they can breed on their own, but they still seem pretty bestial. I would presume that a human would not mate willingly with a koloss, but we have "koloss-blooded" people. Am I missing something here or is it as bad as it sounds?

If bind points are so important to Hemalurgy, then if Wax's earring provided an ability, wouldn't it need to be the same as Vin's?

A few questions:

Do we know what peoples were created by their Shards vs pre-existing?

Do we know if the Dor predates the Splintering of Devotion and Dominion?

What is the best understanding we have of a timeline for the Cosmere stories? Not just order, but actual time.

I'm a little confused about the koloss. Harmony made them so they can breed on their own, but they still seem pretty bestial. I would presume that a human would not mate willingly with a koloss, but we have "koloss-blooded" people. Am I missing something here or is it as bad as it sounds?

If bind points are so important to Hemalurgy, then if Wax's earring provided an ability, wouldn't it need to be the same as Vin's?

1. we know for some, but not all.  for example, we know scadrians were created by Ruin and Preservation working together, but I think it is less clear for most others.

2. Not sure if we know 100%, but I think it should.

3. probably this: http://coppermind.net/wiki/Chronologythough some of the other forum members may be able to improve on that slightly

4. I don't think there is a 100% answer to that, but given actual human proclivities, I wouldn't rule out voluntary mating...just probably not very likely

5. bind points are important, but so is the metal itself.  offhand, I don't recall what metal Wax's earring was made out of (or even if we actually have an answer for that), but I don't think it was the same, so it wouldn't provide the same effect.  also not sure whether or not Wax's earring would need to actually provide him with any hemalurgical attribute at all in order to fulfill its primary purpose which is to make it easy for Harmony to communicate with him.

Sazed changed things so that koloss can now breed (and are less "homicidal rage monsters") but they are still Hemalurgic constructs and as such require spikes to become "full" koloss. Koloss-blooded are human (-ish) offspring of full koloss. When they come of age they can accept the spikes (though there are trials and traditions in place so they have to earn them) and become a full koloss or they can leave the tribe and join the rest of human society.  (The opposite can also happen, a person can leave "civilization" and earn spikes as well.)

Sazed changed things so that koloss can now breed (and are less "homicidal rage monsters") but they are still Hemalurgic constructs and as such require spikes to become "full" koloss. Koloss-blooded are human (-ish) offspring of full koloss. When they come of age they can accept the spikes (though there are trials and traditions in place so they have to earn them) and become a full koloss or they can leave the tribe and join the rest of human society.  (The opposite can also happen, a person can leave "civilization" and earn spikes as well.)

do you have a source for that?  because I have never seen that proposed as an explanation(though I haven't exactly been looking either).

do you have a source for that?  because I have never seen that proposed as an explanation(though I haven't exactly been looking either).

It's explained in the Alloy of Law supplement of the MAG (as well as the Allomancer Jak short story written by Brandon that is included there).

How is it that since spren exist in the cognitive realm, that in the form of shardblades they seem to cut only the physical and spiritual realms? This seems contrary to me.

I Suppose:

The Shardblade cut only in the Spiritual Realm, what you see in the Physical Realm are the result of the "destroyed" Spiritual Aspect of Something. This is why the less-Spiritual object (the not-living thing) put no resistence to a shardblade while a living bein does.

I Suppose:

The Shardblade cut only in the Spiritual Realm, what you see in the Physical Realm are the result of the "destroyed" Spiritual Aspect of Something. This is why the less-Spiritual object (the not-living thing) put no resistence to a shardblade while a living bein does.

Shardblades cut on all three realms.

5. bind points are important, but so is the metal itself.  offhand, I don't recall what metal Wax's earring was made out of (or even if we actually have an answer for that), but I don't think it was the same, so it wouldn't provide the same effect.  also not sure whether or not Wax's earring would need to actually provide him with any hemalurgical attribute at all in order to fulfill its primary purpose which is to make it easy for Harmony to communicate with him.

I am as certain as I am about anything that we are never told what kind of metal his earring is; I have combed both books looking for specifically that information. Also, we don't know which ear he wore it in, or which ear Vin wore hers in (though somewhere I have a long thread where I found the absolute slimmest, thinnest evidence ever that ever-so-slightly suggests there's a CHANCE it was her left ear), or if different ears matter. So... yeah, basically we got nothing.

Is their a source for the table of Hemalurgic Properties found on The Coppermind? Specifically on this page. A couple of them point to sources from the Mistborn Adventure Game, which I understood to be non-canon as far as the Metallic Arts go. Are the rest from an Ars Arcanum from one of the books? I don't have access to them currently.

Is their a source for the table of Hemalurgic Properties found on The Coppermind? Specifically on this page. A couple of them point to sources from the Mistborn Adventure Game, which I understood to be non-canon as far as the Metallic Arts go. Are the rest from an Ars Arcanum from one of the books? I don't have access to them currently.

Most of that (excepting gold and duralumin) does come from the HoA Ars Arcanum.  As for the canonicity of the MAG, it's a little complicated.  In general worldbuilding information is considered "canon until Brandon contradicts it".  As for information about the mechanics of the Metallic Arts, the broad strokes of it are canon (as in what does each metal do/store/steal), when it starts going into the nitty-gritty of how they actually work is when it breaks from book-canon (as balancing powers for a game is different from balancing them for a book).  So an example of this is how in Feruchemy nicrosil stores "Investiture", the MAG has rules in place for how that works, but Brandon has consistently RAFO'd how it works in-book.

So the short of it is, yes we can consider those descriptions canon.