Worldbringer and Worldsinger; related?

TwinSouls

Question

8 answers to this question

i am not too sure but we know that hoid has interfered with the terris during the final empire and the hero of ages. hoid did also create the worldsingers. hoid is a worldhopper. i can think of a few theorys but nothing concrete. 

Questioner

Worldbringers and Worldsingers, similar mission?

Brandon Sanderson

The similarity of the names is intentional.

Questioner

Similar origin?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

Questioner

Did Hoid start them?

Brandon Sanderson

That's a RAFO. That's a RAFO, but definitely they have a similar origin.

Firefight San Francisco signing (Jan. 17, 2015)

graymorality

Worldbringers and Worldsingers have very similar names, is there a reason for this?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes.

/r/books AMA 2015 (Aug. 13, 2015)

Cosmeregirl

Do you think the Worldsingers will eventually get some time? That's who I'm most curious about. It's just so cool to see new parts of the world/cosmere.

Brandon Sanderson

Possibly. Someday, I hope to be able to do more with the connection between them and other groups with oddly similar names across the cosmere.

skewh1989

I always wondered if there was a connection between Worldsingers and Worldbringers. Can I take this as confirmation there is one?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, there is a connection.

Dawnshard Annotations Reddit Q&A (Nov. 6, 2020)

that's all i found that has a strong connection between them

18 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

i am not too sure but we know that hoid has interfered with the terris during the final empire and the hero of ages. hoid did also create the worldsingers. hoid is a worldhopper. i can think of a few theorys but nothing concrete. 

Thanks! I was re-listening to mistborn, and saw a similarity.

1 hour ago, TwinSouls said:

Are worldbringers from Mistborn, and worldsingers from SA related?

1 hour ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

Also note, that while not a direct connection, this WoB:

Spoiler

Nesh

So some of us happened across a line in [Mistborn: The Final Empire] that gave us pause. It's in the chapter 19 epigraph:

"Not so Kwaan. In a way, he is as unlikely a prophet as I am a hero. He never had an air of ceremonious wisdom - nor was he even a religious scholar. When we first met, he was studying one of his ridiculous interests in the great Khlenni library--I believe he was trying to determine whether or not trees could think."

This sounded to us like Kwaan the Terrisman might have been looking into or might have known something about Realmatics, like for instance knowing of the Realms and that things have aspects in all three. Is this the case? If so, was such knowledge common among his people or Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

Realmatic theory was part of the ancient Terris religion.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 28, 2012)

Implies that Pre-Rashek Scadrial may have had more interactions with worldhoppers. 

I think it's safe to say that Hoid likely had a hand in their creation. The why is another question that I think I have the answer for.

I think it's because Hoid's taking a page from Autonomy's book.  Hoid is setting up these 'World' organizations so that he'll have resources, connections and allies on important planets that he visits frequently.

3 hours ago, Treamayne said:

Also note, that while not a direct connection, this WoB:

Hide contents

Nesh

So some of us happened across a line in [Mistborn: The Final Empire] that gave us pause. It's in the chapter 19 epigraph:

"Not so Kwaan. In a way, he is as unlikely a prophet as I am a hero. He never had an air of ceremonious wisdom - nor was he even a religious scholar. When we first met, he was studying one of his ridiculous interests in the great Khlenni library--I believe he was trying to determine whether or not trees could think."

This sounded to us like Kwaan the Terrisman might have been looking into or might have known something about Realmatics, like for instance knowing of the Realms and that things have aspects in all three. Is this the case? If so, was such knowledge common among his people or Scadrial?

Brandon Sanderson

Realmatic theory was part of the ancient Terris religion.

17th Shard Forum Q&A (Sept. 28, 2012)

Implies that Pre-Rashek Scadrial may have had more interactions with worldhoppers. 

i thought that brandon said somewere that the pre rashek teris knew more about relmatics because or through ferucemisty. i cant seem to find it however

1 hour ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

I think it's safe to say that Hoid likely had a hand in their creation. The why is another question that I think I have the answer for.

I think it's because Hoid's taking a page from Autonomy's book.  Hoid is setting up these 'World' organizations so that he'll have resources, connections and allies on important planets that he visits frequently.

i agree. i think that space age cosmere will see these groups a lot more. worldsingers to explore, worldbringers to rule/unite and worldhoppers to travel/live

16 minutes ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

i thought that brandon said somewere that the pre rashek teris knew more about relmatics because or through ferucemisty. i cant seem to find it however

i agree. i think that space age cosmere will see these groups a lot more. worldsingers to explore, worldbringers to rule/unite and worldhoppers to travel/live

Maybe Hoid brings these groups together and is forced to be the leader of a significant space-faring faction. With Hoid (Who is a main character in Era 4) struggling with going from 'mysterious wanderer' to 'Commander in chief'.

1 minute ago, JustQuestin2004 said:

Maybe Hoid brings these groups together and is forced to be the leader of a significant space-faring faction. With Hoid (Who is a main character in Era 4) struggling with going from 'mysterious wanderer' to 'Commander in chief'.

that would be extreamly fun to see. would he be forced to or does he willingly choose to do it. is hoid creating these groups because of his access to fortune letting him know that he will need them in the future.

8 hours ago, RoyalBeeMage said:

that would be extreamly fun to see. would he be forced to or does he willingly choose to do it. is hoid creating these groups because of his access to fortune letting him know that he will need them in the future.

I think that it'd be Hoid needing to accomplish more on a wider scale, such as trying to prevent an Interstellar War, and he can only be in one place at a time.

His Fortune thingy doesn't tell him why he does things, it just tells him to go to a place, it's up to him to make the most of it.