ChayShan

Tulir

I would also like to mention for the sake of site consistency that in Zas's post, Brandon calls gaining more of an attribute in Feruchemy "compounding". For 17th Shard, we decided that two different kinds of compounding, one purely Feruchemical and the other a very particular effect with Allomancy and Feruchemy, was very confusing. We had voted, and determined that our 17th Shard term for compounding attributes in Feruchemy is "surging" attributes.

/disclaimer

I would also like to mention for the sake of site consistency that in Zas's post, Brandon calls gaining more of an attribute in Feruchemy "compounding". For 17th Shard, we decided that two different kinds of compounding, one purely Feruchemical and the other a very particular effect with Allomancy and Feruchemy, was very confusing. We had voted, and determined that our 17th Shard term for compounding attributes in Feruchemy is "surging" attributes.

/disclaimer

Something that I will add as a footnote to the database right now.

So I figured out lat night that ChayShan actually is balanced because it says that he was sweating after he was done at the fencing practice, so I think that since the Jindo do it before battle, then they draw on that energy later, or in the beginning of the dance, they use/store energy then during the battle or later in the dance they get it back.

I personally doubt that ChayShan has any storage parts similar to Feruchemy in it. I know Brandon has parallels in his magic systems, but I wouldn't like it if all balance magics were storage, it would feel unoriginal. If I had to say that ChayShan parallels any cosmere powers we've seen so far I'd say Allomantic pewter. He becomes stronger and graceful, strong enough to shatter the super-tough Dakhor monk bones.

Yeah I don't think that all balance systems involve a neutral amount of energy, that was only the case because if it was either net-gain or net-loss then it would lean towards either preserving or ruining and so wouldn't be a balance. On Sel the balance magic system (Which we assume is ChayShan) would just be something in between devotion and dominion, I'm not sure what that would be but I suspect it wouldn't just be something that did neither as they are not opposites like Ruin and Preservation were, it would probably be some concept that was in line with both.

Well, I see a possible explaination:

AonDor comes from the user and primarily produces external effects

Dakhor powers rely on the sacrifice of others and primarily produces self-enhancement

ChayShan comes from the user and produces self-enhancement.

Dakhor powers rely on the sacrifice of others and primarily produces self-enhancement

Definitely makes sense, I think it would be primarily martial in application as well something that requires devotion to master and allows you to dominate others?

I don't know exactly where you're coming from, because I thought "power" and now I can't think of anything else ;). This is what I would do:

all three powers come from dor +

The power on Aondor comes from mastery of learning/art/something to do with forcing yourself to learn things.

The power of Dakhor comes from sacrifice/chants/we don't know for sure (mastery of others?)

The power of Chayshan comes from self-mastery

Edited by Lantern13

Well the power of AonDor comes as a result of the Shaod which strikes people who are particularly devoted to something, so I don't know about that mastery trend :S

EDIT: we do know that at least SOME of the Dhakor powers come from the sacrifice of others.

Edited by Voidus

You can't learn all the Aons and their modifiers. Brandon has said that not all the Aons have even been discovered yet. I'll try to find the quote if I can.

Edit:

Found it!

Only Elantrians can draw Aons in the air, so someone taken by the Shaod must have developed the writing system. That is part of what makes writing a noble art in Arelon—drawing the Aons would have been associated with Elantrians. Most likely, the early Elantrians (who probably didn't even have Elantris back then) would have had to learn the Aons by trial and error, finding what each one did, and associating its meaning and sound with its effect. The language didn't develop, but was instead 'discovered.'

There are likely Aons that haven't even been found yet.

Edited by Windrunner

My thoughts on this are way back here, and I still think they hold true. But to clarify more about ChayShan: You are selflessly dedicated (Devoted) to the most primal sphere of influence (Dominion), your own body. I cannot think of any other discipline that requires so much of the human body that isn't in some way descended from a martial art.

Eh, I'm not really sure if I buy the partial complements thing. In my opinion, it makes the systems overly complex. I think that Dominion has no part in why the Aons mimic the land. It's how the Shard interacts with the Realms of Sel, the magic copies the actual physical form. I also don't think you need Devotion to become Dakhor. Hrathen isn't an overzealous madman, but he was chosen to become one. He just didn't have what it took, but if he had hung around he would have completed his change.

However, I do like how you've described ChayShan, it mirrors my own thoughts. I think in a balance magic both shards must be represented. In Feruchemy, you Preserve your power temporarily to Ruin it later by using it up. You need Devotion to the learn ChayShan's forms and you must have utter Dominion over your own body to do the moves perfectly.

Oh, incidentally I love, love the Three Parts of Magic theory. When I first came here, I read the first sentence about the Realms being represented in magic, and the whole theory popped into my head the second before I read it. It makes perfect sense in my mind, and in my opinion, its a virtual certainty that it is true.

However, I do like how you've described ChayShan, it mirrors my own thoughts. I think in a balance magic both shards must be represented. In Feruchemy, you Preserve your power temporarily to Ruin it later by using it up. You need Devotion to the learn ChayShan's forms and you must have utter Dominion over your own body to do the moves perfectly.

Absolutely agreed, especially that part about Feruchemy, most posts I've seen talk about ruining an attribute to store it and then somehow preservation when tapping, but it seems much more likely to be the other way around, preseving an attribute for later use, and slowly ruining you store.

Upvoted! I've been trying to convince people about this, but it hasn't been working. Ruin and Preservation's intents are both in there. I think people get the idea that Preservation has to be end-positive because of Allomancy but that's never been said. I think the power is of both, but the reason an attribute is stored is because Preservation's intent needs to be followed. Another point in favor of this is that you can always feel your Feruchemical stores, even when you aren't tapping them. So they can't have been destroyed if you can always feel them.

• Chaos locked this topic