Anniversary Game 10/Anonymous Game 14: Tyrian Falls Apocalypse

So. They'd lost their Coinshot.

Murph wasn't sure what to make of that. Everything he'd been taught was to not put your faith in Mistings to get your job done. But Onidsen had proven himself in the tribulations of last year, and even if he didn't know him that well, he'd been... well, a hero. One who deserved his name written here. 

Murph dragged his saw through the ash-choked log with one more yank, watching the circle of wood crash to the ground. Welcome to Tyrian Falls. Where no one knows your name. Where heroes fall. 

Fall through a window, crashing, bowstring snapped - no, cut -

Enough of that. Murph abandoned the start of the table he'd begun before the news broke, instead moving to the first of his three pet projects. He'd been an archer, back in the day, but the thing with archers was you couldn't pull them out of a crowd of townsfolk. Building that physique needed years of sustained practice, and that was just to draw. If they wanted projectiles that weren't dependent on their dwindling Coinshots, they'd need a different weapon. Hence the rack of Murph's own crossbows.

There were only five on the rack so far - three more were hidden in various places, and one last was on his workbench with the final touches on the stock. Nine. Nowhere near enough for a troop, and would likely be as effective as throwing toothpicks for dealing with koloss. But it was better than nothing. And nothing was pretty close to what they had.

Murph sighed, grabbing one of the better-looking crossbows and heading out into the town. Maybe the council would give him more hands to work on the arsenal. Ruin had given them a message, the Emperor an ultimatum. But for once, Tyrian Falls might just be ready for both.

Sasha de Vries did not fear the mists. Even as a young girl, she had been fascinated by them, sneaking out at night with her sister Olivya to watch them twist and swirl around them by lanternlight. That had been before the night when everything had changed.

Dear Sasha,

You do not know us yet, but by the end of this letter we believe we will have convinced you of our importance to your life.

Now, twenty years later, Sasha watched the mist as she walked through the dark, early morning streets of Tyrian Falls. With her hands shoved into the pockets of her overcoat and a broad-brimmed hat tilted low over her eyes, Sasha was the kind of woman you did not bother more than once. The knives tucked into her tall, leather boots were one reason, but there were...others. 

You see, your sister's death was no ordinary murder. No, it was a far more sinister act known as Hemallurgy, the art of stealing souls.

Sasha may have been a professional, but this job would not be put on the books. Her trip to Tyrian Falls was more than simply justice. It was vengeance. Her hands clenched at that thought, bending the slip of paper she held in her pocket. 

It was a practitioner of this art that murdered Olivya, and, after 20 years in hiding, has begun spiking new disciples in the town of Tyrian Falls.

No, Sasha thought to herself. I can't lose control this close to the mark. Trying to calm herself down, she focused on the mist. That always worked. Staring into the dancing wisps of vapour, tinged with the very beginnings of dawn light, Sasha felt she almost understood why she had survived while her sister died. 

I should have been there to protect her.

I should have been there

I should have

I should

I

Sasha blinked. When had it become morning? The mist was gone, the sunlight having replaced it, and she saw a dog crying beside a dead body nearby.

While we have narrowed down the possibilities considerably, there is still great ambiguity as to the identity of this murderer.

Sasha stood and stretched in the alley in which she had awoken. She was not a morning person, but it was time to get to work.

We trust that you know what to do.

Sasha pulled the paper from her pocket, and looked at the first name on the list. The first of 25 names. 25 possibilities. 25 suspects.

Sasha de Vries smiled. She knew what to do, and she was not afraid.

Edited by Amber Vulture
I miscounted the number of players

After inspecting Onidsen's body and the knife used to kill him, Sasha wiped her bloody palms on a handkerchief and made to stand. She froze when she noticed an obligator lurking at the edge of the square. What were they doing here?

Pearl Chameleon

Tyrian Falls survives through unity, over the power of destruction and dissention. And voting for a unique playstyle is not quite unity. (Especially when it's not exactly unique, if two people had similar ideas, and it's definitely been done before.)

Indigo Weasel, will you take up the bow?

4 hours ago, Opal Lion said:

Azure mouse has had no real thoughts of their own in posting- Seemingly choosing to follow emerald around in a way that I find interesting based on their both non-verbal communication. This has shown itself both in their voting Salmon after Emerald hinted at suspicion on them for their Villager claim, as well as them posting a response to Onidsen's death immediately after Emerald.

Azure is therefore not teamed with Emerald (Who they may be pocketing), nor are they teamed with Salmon.

Why are you reading so much into what is likely just pre-game picked CRs by each of them individually? 😛 

Plum Rhinoceros how’s it going, friend?

Okay, so what's happened so far.

Elephant pokes Vulture.

Swan claims Smoker.

Lion sorta pokes Rhino in response to Rhino threatening everyone.

Meerkat pokes Falcon for memeing

Mouse begins the duel of fates

Falcon suses Meerkat for dealing in absolutes

Zebra talks themself into poking the Elephant in the room (where it happened)

Mouse pokes Meerkat without accompanying explanation.

Lion poke looks at Mouse for some reason.

Rhino pokes Meerkat because (also lasagna)

Lion uses some fighting words susing mouse maybe? But good thoughts. 

Mouse pushes back against the claim of no original thoughts by citing their musings on Swan's Smoker claim

Falcon posts unlimited tallies while placing the third vote on Meerkat for some reason

I haven't processed the Lion PoV meme of mouse's but otherwise mouse responds to Lion keeping their vote on Mouse, pointing out that unusual playstyles often get ignored/policed and then doubled down on when the style is defended. Which feels true but maybe more than necessary for Lions response.

Rhino sorta doubles down on the sentiment that Mouse was talking against though. 
Mouse replies with a more specific meme to the explain what they're doing.

Scorpion votes Mouse for Mouse having poked Meerkat. Basically a poke vote in a round where there's little info to start poking with.

Rhino explains their frustration with memes somewhat

Scorpion protest votes Rhino in retraction of their prior Mouse vote having changed their view about Lion's response to Mouse. 

Vulture pokes Chameleon

Mouse posts a lots of swords being even clearly about their stance on playstyles while clarifying what about Meerkat seems sus to them, hence the vote.

Penguin pokes Weasel, commenting that voting because different playstyle not productive.

Beagle pokes(?) Rhino

So mostly just poke votes flying around I think.

Kangaroo, Iguana, Flamingo, Crocodile, Weasel, Ostrich, Hyena have not yet posted, though Ostrich has followed the thread. 

Hey Falcon, any possibility of a meme to explain why the Meerkat plebiscite submission?

It’s not a poke, it’s a stab. Rhino seemed a tad self conscious to me in their interactions, like they didn’t want to stir the pot too much while also wanting to just say something. So I’d like to talk with them. 

… Why are you summarizing the thread? 😛 

It’s late so I’m off, I will be on tomorrow but sparsely so, expect better activity from me D2 onwards (if elims NK me they are cowards and scared) 

8 hours ago, Coral Swan said:

Is this the kind of thing we vote on someone for?

Also, I'm a Smoker, which doesn't seem that useful. Hopefully saying this is fine.

The cosmetic roles look fun, I'll try and pick one soon.

M looked up together in confusion at the newcomer. “As the wisdom of many Tyrians past has assuredly told us, blessed one, ‘smoking saves lives,’ and most of all, those not your own, but why advertise your capacities, or lack thereof, with so many subversives in our midst? It is most unbecoming,” he mused, turning to her. She took up the chorus: “And if his dusty quotations will not convince you otherwise, you cannot argue with data. Villages which lose large numbers of Smokers die more quickly at a statistically significant rate, accounting, of course, for abberations in the datasets such as one record of a village where Smokers survived but simply did not burn their metals, and…”

7 hours ago, Mint Heron said:

Dragon was a good dog. Or, at least that's what he had thought yesterday. Now his best friend Onidsen was dead. That must mean he was a bad dog, right? Because what good dog would let something like that happen to their best friend.

Dragon slowly wandered the dusty streets of Tyrian Falls. He was lost, both literally and figuratively. He had nowhere to go and nobody who would care for him. He was friendless. He didn't really like the thought of that.

The now stray dog decided to do the only thing he thought could possibly cheer him up. He sniffed the air and began to follow his nose to what could only be a tavern of some sort. Taverns meant food. And food always found a way of cheering the beast of a dog up.

She stopped her musings abruptly as they turned the corner towards the tavern. “Look, a stray! Was it Onidsen’s?” He pursed his lips, then gave a hesitant nod. She pressed on. “We can’t let it roam the streets, at least! Let’s get it something, the poor creature.”

2 hours ago, Onyx Flamingo said:

She stopped her musings abruptly as they turned the corner towards the tavern. “Look, a stray! Was it Onidsen’s?” He pursed his lips, then gave a hesitant nod. She pressed on. “We can’t let it roam the streets, at least! Let’s get it something, the poor creature.”

Dragon realized someone was approaching him. They looked slightly familiar, but they hadn't been his best friend so Dragon had never learned their name. 

Maybe they were there to tell him how bad of a dog he was for letting his best friend be killed. Dragon bowed his head down in shame as the stranger came closer.

Not going to lie got confused on time and came here 12 hours after the thread open and now feel slightly overwhelmed that there's already three pages

But thats life I guess. Or death considering that is what we deal in. 

Currently a bit distracted with work/school/some-other-societal obligation so I don't have time to do a super thorough analysis of what's going on but for now I'll be throwing a vote on Emerald Falcon Nothing against you I just really struggle with the meme format so its slightly soured my gut opinion of you. I think it looks fun though! Just doesn't work for me, sorry.

4 hours ago, Oxblood Beagle said:

It’s not a poke, it’s a stab. Rhino seemed a tad self conscious to me in their interactions, like they didn’t want to stir the pot too much while also wanting to just say something. So I’d like to talk with them. 

… Why are you summarizing the thread? 😛 

It’s late so I’m off, I will be on tomorrow but sparsely so, expect better activity from me D2 onwards (if elims NK me they are cowards and scared) 

Uh, am I…?

I did want to say something, so I could keep interest in the game. I struggle with caring when I have certain card dealt to me, and I need to practice. Might as well do it with a “clean slate” in an anonymous game. So bear with me. lol. 

4 hours ago, Oxblood Beagle said:

(if elims NK me they are cowards and scared) 

Beagle is surely village for this.

Plum Rhinoceros Charcoal Hyena

I think I still village read Opal Lion. I'm getting good vibes from Chartreuse Penguin. Hyena's vote is objectively poor form.

13 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

I think I still village read Opal Lion. I'm getting good vibes from Chartreuse Penguin. Hyena's vote is objectively poor form.

Dragon was unsure how a taunt at evil could possibly prove someone's, or something's, innocence.

10 hours ago, Amber Vulture said:

After inspecting Onidsen's body and the knife used to kill him, Sasha wiped her bloody palms on a handkerchief and made to stand. She froze when she noticed an obligator lurking at the edge of the square. What were they doing here?

Pearl Chameleon

Glad you decided to show up, Vulture. [Also: #when you’re so forgetful you forget to use your “forgetful” cosmetic role. Look, I’m known for ditching my cr after the first cycle due to lack of interest, but that was a new low :P]

41 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

I don’t think it’s in poor form, Scorpion — the meme format is kinda frustrating to read. It’s not necessarily AI, but it’s D1 and we have precious little else to go on.

Anyway, what was I talking about again? Oh, right! The multiple definitions of the word “fine.” I mentioned that it can mean  “good” and “okay,” but depending on the context, it can mean “bad” too! This is more of a cultural thing (where I live, anyway (maybe it’s different for you)) — like, if someone says “how’s it going?” and you say “fine” then they’ll hear that you’re having a bad day. Weird, isn’t it? This happens because “good” is the default answer — if you aren’t actively not good, then your default response to “how are you” is “good, how are you?” You don’t even think about it. So, if you want to signal you’re doing worse than average, you say “fine.”

Language is fascinating.

31 minutes ago, Mint Heron said:

Dragon was unsure how a taunt at evil could possibly prove someone's, or something's, innocence.

I don't think evil would think to post that. At least not in a way that seems so natural.

2 minutes ago, Sapphire Elephant said:

I don’t think it’s in poor form, Scorpion — the meme format is kinda frustrating to read. It’s not necessarily AI, but it’s D1 and we have precious little else to go on.

It being NAI is precisely my point. Voting for NAI reasons is poor form, and using D1 as an excuse to do nothing is as well.

5 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

I don't think evil would think to post that. At least not in a way that seems so natural.

Can you elaborate, my good scorpion?

5 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

It being NAI is precisely my point. Voting for NAI reasons is poor form, and using D1 as an excuse to do nothing is as well.

Ah, but what if you don’t have anything AI to vote on? Then, it would be hard not  to not do anything D1, wouldn’t it?

Those double negatives kinda broke my brain, didn’t they, did they not? Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

Edited by Sapphire Elephant

15 minutes ago, Amethyst Scorpion said:

Dragon would have laughed if he wasn't stuck in a dog's body.

That is exactly what evil would want you to think when writing that, the stray thought. He wasn't sure if the person in question was bad or not, but knew that jumping to conclusions especially the day after his best friend was killed probably wasn't the best idea.

12 minutes ago, Sapphire Elephant said:

Can you elaborate, my good scorpion?

Beagle referred to being outside the NK. I found the reference genuine. Therefore I think Beagle is village. There's not much else to say.

12 minutes ago, Sapphire Elephant said:

Ah, but what if you don’t have anything AI to vote on? Then, it would be hard not  to not do anything D1, wouldn’t it?

Then you should look harder, I suppose. Playstyle voting helps nothing and encourages a boring game. I don't believe that in three pages there's nothing that gives you a read of any kind.

1 minute ago, Mint Heron said:

That is exactly what evil would want you to think when writing that, the stray thought. He wasn't sure if the person in question was bad or not, but knew that jumping to conclusions especially the day after his best friend was killed probably wasn't the best idea.

I'm not locking the read in or anything. But I don't think e!Beagle goes "Yknow what would be a good gambit, referring to the NK in a post so that people village read me for it!". That's not how evil brain works. Evil brain plays in basic ways. So when I see something implying village, I'm fine with trusting that for now. Feel free to prove me wrong later but an IKYK isn't going to dissuade me from a village read.