The mystery of the Valley of Mist

Argenti

You are the people of the trading town of Thornwood, deep in the Valley of Mist. 
The Valley is an important pass between the Thousand Lakes of the south and the City of Jade to the north. In the valley is an ancient forest, some say older than the valley itself. The forest was a strange and enchanted place for a long time, where the elves danced, and an unearthly light seemed to illuminate the forest.
A month ago, the forests changed. The lights stopped, and the music stopped playing; the forest was quiet for the first time in a thousand years. For a while, that was all that happened. For a while, the forest was still, holding its breath. 
Then it began to scream.
The trees contorted, twisting themselves into grotesque knots and leaves sharp as knives. The ground shook beneath the town, and the ever-present mountains began to fade into the distance as if the forest seemed to expand. The sky flashed black, and when the light returned, the road into and out of Thornwood was gone. Luckily, several bands of adventurers were in the town at the time, and they all volunteered to go into the forest and find the source of the change. Few returned, and those that did were… broken inside. They spoke of stag-horned men dragging them through the forest and bringing them to a place where the stars were gone. Now a strange sickness has begun to spread, and you decide to do something. Form parties, investigate, talk to other villagers and end this madness. 
@Canada Lover @The Honorable One @Ookla the Bees @Ookla thePresentParticiple @Ookla the Erased @Ookla the Believer 

You've all been sent some hooks, I recommend speaking to some of the npcs, all of whom are labeled on the map, then going into the forest, exploring your hooks or just random parts of the forest. There are secrets galore on the world map (which is currently obscured by a fog of war), and in order to solve the mystery and fix it, you'll need to find at least some of these. In order to keep track of you, put your location # in bold above, like I did below. These numbers are really completely random and don't try to read into them, it will just give you a headache. Please speak in quotes for out of character, and if you have any asks or suggestions, PM me and I'll try my best to add them. To those not in the game, you can still join late, just PM me first and we can get you in.

Area 1: Thornwood
The day is normal, or as normal as it can be since the Change occurred. The sky is blue, and the sun is shining, but the birds are not singing. Midway through his sermon, the Father coughs up blood but waves off Sister Sarah's help; he is not the first and will not be the last. The Mayor calls a meeting, to which all but old man Thomas comes. You decide that you must figure it out yourself, since everone else has failed you. You leave the meeting and....

Thornwood.jpg

Valley of mists map (1).jpg

Edited by Ookla the Silver

Laegon drags a tree felling axe from his house, proudly polished and oiled. He knew what was about to happen will be the same as it has been for the past month, but it seemed to help him feel better in the morning. He found the nearest, most non-threatening tree to his house, took a proper stance and swung his axe as hard as he could.

1 hour ago, Ookla the Believer said:

I think it pings both of you cus two separate accounts don't show up.

@Ookla the Believer 

27 minutes ago, Ookla the Bees said:

Laegon drags a tree felling axe from his house, proudly polished and oiled. He knew what was about to happen will be the same as it has been for the past month, but it seemed to help him feel better in the morning. He found the nearest, most non-threatening tree to his house, took a proper stance and swung his axe as hard as he could.

A branch swings down and catches the axe. A pinecone falls down on your head.

Chiyo was very busy cleaning tables at the tavern, though she did more daydreaming and looking out the small windows than actual work. What was the point in doing something not related to food anyway?

4 minutes ago, Ookla the Magician said:

Chiyo was very busy cleaning tables at the tavern, though she did more daydreaming and looking out the small windows than actual work. What was the point in doing something not related to food anyway?

You find a massive pool of beer under a table. Mike yells from behind the bar "How's it going hon!?"

1 minute ago, Ookla the Silver said:

"Yup! Right by the bar!" You hear what sounds like glass crashing down "I'm OK!!" 
Leaning on the bar is a mop.

Chiyo grabs the mop, ignoring the crashing sound. It was probably fine.

She begins working on cleaning the beer spill up, careful not to get any stains on her clothes.

Just now, Ookla the Magician said:

Chiyo grabs the mop, ignoring the crashing sound. It was probably fine.

She begins working on cleaning the beer spill up, careful not to get any stains on her clothes.

The door swings open, and a horned man walks in; you recognize this as farmer Beltove "Is Mike in?" 

This is a really funny scene from when this was a dnd game.

Just now, Canada Lover said:

#2 The River

Quinn fished. She loved fishing. But something appeared to be wrong. The water was... off somehow. She didn't quite know what was up however. @Ookla the Silver

yeah thats good

The water is burbling and you see little bone drifting down the river

19 minutes ago, Ookla the Erased said:

Area 1: Thornwood

Norelt walked out his front door and made his way toward Guard Jackson's tower. "Any changes in the forest?" He called up.

@Ookla the Silver

"Just the usual! Laegons being attacked by a tree, but eh could be worse."

3 hours ago, Ookla the Silver said:

A branch swings down and catches the axe. A pinecone falls down on your head.

Area 1 - Thornwood

Sigh. Yanking the axe head from the branch, Laegon picks up the pinecone and half-heartedly throws it back up. He pointed at his axe, then at the spot where it would have landed. "I swear, one day," he muttered to the tree.

How's the village wood storage going? Can they light any fires or are they just cold all the time?

Edited by Ookla the Bees

6 minutes ago, Ookla the Bees said:

Area 1 - Thornwood

Sigh. Yanking the axe head from the branch, Laegon picks up the pinecone and half-heartedly throws it back up. He pointed at his axe, then at the spot where it would have landed. "I swear, one day," he muttered to the tree.

They have pretty good stores for now. Luckily, it's summer, so it's not cold. 
Yet.

The tree does not respond.

16 minutes ago, Canada Lover said:

Area #2: The River

Quinn fished it up and examined it.

.... I forget to give the river a name. uhhhh the Redhallow

It's a canine animal of some sort, judging by size, a dog or a fox.

5 minutes ago, Ookla thePresentParticiple said:

Area one: Thornwood

Autumn knocks on the door of the Town Crier’s house.

He opens the door, looking like he just woke up. 
"What" he groans