How did Szeth get to Urithiru?

lookingglass

This might be an extremely stupid question and the answer is possibly staring me right in the face but how on earth did Szeth get to Urithiru in the interludes? Did he come through oathgate in the shattered plains or maybe a locked on? If so do honor blades work the same as shardblades as a fabrial key? If he didn't get through the oathgates did he just stumble upon it one day or the Stone Shamans told him about it? So many unanswered questions!

But he did appear to know that the oathgate leads there...

My guess would be he learned all about Urithiru when he got his honor blade. If the Shin kept those, and knew what they were, they probably kept some secret knowledge of the lost radiants too.

Come th think of it, anyone else see the connection between the Shin, with their natural baldness and insistence that wariors are to be slaves, and the Vorin ardents, who shave their heads and exist in a state of servitude?

Edited by Zea mays

Definitely he didnt use the Oathgate. The Oathgate power would have shattered further the Plains and people would notice. Also I dont know if Honorblades can ope the gates ( but they must, otherwise the Heralds wouldnt reach Urithiru).

So he most likely went there through Windrunning. 

He real question is how does he know where Urithiru is? The Sin people seem to have a large knowledge regarding the Heraldic Epoch, as they also posses the other Honorblades as well.

Actually, writing this post one question poped to my mind. If the Oathgate is responsable for shaterring the Shattered Plains, how come the other places with oathgates arent shattered as well?

He mentions that the stones of Urithiru are some of the only stones in the world that are Unhallowed, allowing him to walk on them. This means that the Shin totally know about the place, and it isn't really a surprise that he'd know where it is. Gravity reversal is such a quick method of travel, I can see him visiting Urithiru every once in a while, between murders.

Definitely he didnt use the Oathgate. The Oathgate power would have shattered further the Plains and people would notice. ...

Actually, writing this post one question poped to my mind. If the Oathgate is responsable for shaterring the Shattered Plains, how come the other places with oathgates arent shattered as well?

Why do you say this? I know of no connection between the shattering of the plains  and the Oathgate.  What have I missed?  Please enlighten me. 

He flew there.

There's a village at the base of the mountain that leaves him infused spheres for that specific purpose (and getting back down).

Yeah I remember that.... The village that leaves spheres to Szeth... It was at the base of the mountains hiding Urithiru? I totally missed that upon reading.

Why do you say this? I know of no connection between the shattering of the plains  and the Oathgate.  What have I missed?  Please enlighten me. 

Hum...ok i might be mistaken , i dont have the book here but i think i remember this.... After Shallan re-opened the Oathgate, Kaladin seems to notice that there are new shatters in the plains. So i though that it was the use of the Oathgate that caused the old shattering. 

Does anyone know precise information about this?

The new shatters in the Shattered Plains are from the Highstorm and the Everstorm meeting and adding their strength together. I mentions when they meet that boulders were being tossed about all over the place and there is even a scene with Szeth and Kaladin windrunning around the top of a plateau that is hurtling through the air in their battle. 

It has nothing to do with the Oathgate activating. 

The new shatters in the Shattered Plains are from the Highstorm and the Everstorm meeting and adding their strength together. I mentions when they meet that boulders were being tossed about all over the place and there is even a scene with Szeth and Kaladin windrunning around the top of a plateau that is hurtling through the air in their battle. 

It has nothing to do with the Oathgate activating. 

Agreed.

However, I also agree that Szeth knows about  Urithiru because of the Shin. I think the Shin know a heck of a lot more than they are telling everyone else. I don't trust them at all, even though I feel a little bad for what's coming to them.

Speaking of which, is it safe to assume that:

Now that Szeth doesn't have his Honor blade he can't use stormlight to fuel his powers? I was under the understanding that the only reason he could use stormlight was because of the blade.

Edited by Melaan

Agreed.

However, I also agree that Szeth knows about  Urithiru because of the Shin. I think the Shin know a heck of a lot more than they are telling everyone else. I don't trust them at all, even though I feel a little bad for what's coming to them.

Speaking of which, is it safe to assume that:

Now that Szeth doesn't have his Honor blade he can't use stormlight to fuel his powers? I was under the understanding that the only reason he could use stormlight was because of the blade.

I agree that he knows of Urithiru because the Shin are keeping secrets from the rest of Roshar (except the secret organizations, those guys all seem to know lots of secrets too). 

Yes, he could only use Stormlight because of the Honorblade. It remains to be seen in book 3 though if he will get his own bonded Highspren by joining the Skybreakers, or if Nightblood's consuming and corrupting of investiture will somehow let Szeth surgebind as well in some way different than even KR powers in some way. There is a WoB saying that if Seons were brought to Roshar it would be similar to a Nahel bond and would grant different powers than traditional Nahel bonds. Potentially so could bonding with Nightblood somehow.

Edited by Green Hoodie Mistborn

• Chaos locked this topic