Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

On 8/8/2022 at 5:41 PM, handleinthedark said:

So I know castings are flying everywhere but looking at the landscape and the things Brandon has suggested changing I thought I might try casting with some constraints.
 1) A stronger presence of women characters in the main cast(including Brandon's suggested changes such as Ham being a woman)
 2) A diverse cast. This is a post-apocalyptic world consisting of groups of people who both have regional populations but also a lot of mixing between groups across the continent(both voluntary and not). The cast should not be entirely white nor should non-white characters be placed in key but non-leading roles.
 3) This is an adaptation the goal is to get the Soul of the show on the screen. While casting should be internally consistent(amongst family lines, regions, etc) plots/beats will change and general physical traits, as described in the book, need not hold.

Still working on this but wanted to see how others might think about a broader pool of actors than the same ones we've been throwing out for years.

Key Cast-The Final Empire

Vin- Amber Midthunder
Kelsier- Mahershala Ali 
Sazed- Christoph Waltz
Docks-Elliott page (Story remains the same, character could be trans but does not need to be)
Ham- Gwendolyn Christie (Genderswapped but otherwise story is the same, has significant other and child)
Breeze- Matt Berry or if younger(to bring closer in age to Allriane) Harvey Guillen
Clubs- Benedict Wong (aged up a bit but an old soldier doesn't have to be that old)
Spook-?
Elend- Dev Patel
Marsh-  Christopher judge
Straff-Oded Fehr

Lord Ruler-Werner Herzog

Other characters for Final Empire-

Shan-
Yeden-Make Yeden a woman
Demoux-
Camon-
High Prelan-
Reen-
Hoid-

I do like the idea to bring my age closer to that of Allriane's, i never felt comfortable with our age gap. I spend half my time wondering I if tricked her with my soothing, and the other half wondering if she tricked me with her rioting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't Mckenna Grace be a great Vin? She's an amazing actress and physically fits the part, she's small, has a round-ish face. Just put on a black wig and she's ready. Just look at her in the latest Ghostbusters movie.

Also I think Ben Barnes would be a great Lord Ruler, but since he already looks so much like him in Shadow and Bone, I think it wouldn't work anymore.

I recently realized that Glen Powell (Hangman in Top Gun: Maverick) would be a great Kelsier. He has the charm, he can do the douchebag-act really well, and is charismatic enough to play the self-assured and compelling leader that Kelsier is. He is also around the right age for a TFE-Kelsier. 

• 3 weeks later...

For me, the perfect Vin is the actress Jenna Ortega (Wednesday, Scream 5 and 6, The Fallout, X ...). She is small, can play reserved, mysterious characters, can transmit a range of emotions with very few facial movements (only using the eyes or eyebrows), and is very good at "being tortured" (see Wednesday or the initial scene of Scream 5. The scream on X was also good).

For example, look at this image of Wednesday (I see her as Vin in Book 2 at the end of the attack on Cett castle):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkbGSJNuajX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This other is Vin in book 3 at the dance party:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clj1LCFSQ7c/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://images.app.goo.gl/1Qc42YLyHBcWcBGU6

Edited by alainesp

On 1/10/2023 at 5:49 AM, alainesp said:

For me, the perfect Vin is the actress Jenna Ortega (Wednesday, Scream 5 and 6, The Fallout, X ...). She is small, can play reserved, mysterious characters, can transmit a range of emotions with very few facial movements (only using the eyes or eyebrows), and is very good at "being tortured" (see Wednesday or the initial scene of Scream 5. The scream on X was also good).

For example, look at this image of Wednesday (I see her as Vin in Book 2 at the end of the attack on Cett castle):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CkbGSJNuajX/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

This other is Vin in book 3 at the dance party:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Clj1LCFSQ7c/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

https://images.app.goo.gl/1Qc42YLyHBcWcBGU6

I love Jenna Ortega as Vin!

Also, I know it has been thrown around some, but I think Henry Cavill could make a sick Lord Ruler! Plus, he loves Sanderson's work so I think he would bring a ton of passion to the role.

In my opinion the best cast to make a production of Mistborn is this one:

Kelsier- HenryCavill (He's capable of doing any role, we've seen him in The Witcher, Superman and now Amazon has hired him to do a Warhammer series, Kelsier is a character he'd be very excited about because he's a Sanderson fan and that would enhance his work. He's not blond but those things are minutiae.)

Vin- Chloë Grace Moretz (I think the role would suit her very well because of her performances in other casts as someone who is shy and gaining confidence. I don't know but with all the actresses I've seen she's the most similar when I imagined her. She can dye her hair black)

Sazed- Hisham Tawfiq (I know this actor from the Blacklist series and he has been someone who has always gone for the better option, gave good advice and was very humble as Sazed.)

Docks - Oscar Isaac ( He has a square face, suited to his moderately stocky build without being fat like Dockson. Dockson's death in Kelsier greatly affects his personality and Isaac has not shown in Moonknight what he is capable of.)

Elen -Charlie Vickers (After seeing him in The Rings of Power I think he looks good as Elen. A person who was always scruffy and wears baggy clothes and evolves into an emperor who is a firm person who looks out for the good of the people, and I think this actor would be very capable.)

Spook- Hero Fiennes Tiffin (He's a young guy and when I saw him he reminded me of Spook.)

Ham- Dwayne Johnson (Who else looks better as Ham? Nothing more to say)

Breeze- Mark Ruffalo (When I read how Brandon described him I imagined him like that, I haven't found a better one, and this actor can surprise as a manipulator.)

Clubs- Benedict Wong (I have read this name in the thread and the truth is that it wouldn't be bad at all.)

Marsh- Matt Bomer  (Marsh and Kelsier are brothers so I looked for an actor similar to Henry Cavill and this one looks like him, although he is younger and since Kelsier is the younger brother I think if they switched roles he could be even better.)

Straff Venture- Pierce Brosnan (Who doesn't see him as a dictator who doesn't mind killing his own son?)

Lord Ruther- Benedict Cumberbatch (He voiced Sauron in The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, I'd love to see him as Lord Ruther, and if not he'd also suit as Sazed.)

Edited by Cellit

On 1/13/2023 at 11:42 PM, Conor Dedalus said:

I love Jenna Ortega as Vin!

Also, I know it has been thrown around some, but I think Henry Cavill could make a sick Lord Ruler! Plus, he loves Sanderson's work so I think he would bring a ton of passion to the role.

I don't think Cavill will be a good Lord Ruler. I think he is to handsome/young. I don't get the ethereal, nihilist vibe from him that I associate with the Lord Ruler. I prefer him as Kelsier.

19 hours ago, alainesp said:

I don't think Cavill will be a good Lord Ruler. I think he is to handsome/young. I don't get the ethereal, nihilist vibe from him that I associate with the Lord Ruler. I prefer him as Kelsier.

Yeah, I feel like the in the descriptions in the book he's described as young, handsome, pale, dark hair. But I think they also describe him as pretty slim--so you're right Cavill doesn't quite fit the slim category. He may be too bulky for Lord Ruler. I love him for Kelsier too! Haha, I just want him in the movie/TV show.

On 1/23/2023 at 1:46 AM, Conor Dedalus said:

Yeah, I feel like the in the descriptions in the book he's described as young, handsome, pale, dark hair. But I think they also describe him as pretty slim--so you're right Cavill doesn't quite fit the slim category. He may be too bulky for Lord Ruler. I love him for Kelsier too! Haha, I just want him in the movie/TV show.

If I remembered correctly, the Lord Ruler was described as at least three persons: with the appearance of young, middle age (regal), and old. And people have trouble identifying each one as the same person, but maybe I am misremembering. Anyway, physical appearance isn't the best trait to cast an actor, don't get me wrong you need at least a passable resemblance, but most important is the "personality" that an actor exudes when acting, IMO of course.

Other actors that I will cast are:

- Pedro Pascal as Clubs

- Gwendoline Christie as Keeper Tindwyl

- Mia Goth as Lady Shan Elariel

Anya Taylor-Joy as Allrianne Cett

On 21/1/2023 at 2:25 PM, Cellit said:

In my opinion the best cast to make a production of Mistborn is this one:

Kelsier- HenryCavill (He's capable of doing any role, we've seen him in The Witcher, Superman and now Amazon has hired him to do a Warhammer series, Kelsier is a character he'd be very excited about because he's a Sanderson fan and that would enhance his work. He's not blond but those things are minutiae.)

Vin- Chloë Grace Moretz (I think the role would suit her very well because of her performances in other casts as someone who is shy and gaining confidence. I don't know but with all the actresses I've seen she's the most similar when I imagined her. She can dye her hair black)

Sazed- Hisham Tawfiq (I know this actor from the Blacklist series and he has been someone who has always gone for the better option, gave good advice and was very humble as Sazed.)

Docks - Oscar Isaac ( He has a square face, suited to his moderately stocky build without being fat like Dockson. Dockson's death in Kelsier greatly affects his personality and Isaac has not shown in Moonknight what he is capable of.)

Elen -Charlie Vickers (After seeing him in The Rings of Power I think he looks good as Elen. A person who was always scruffy and wears baggy clothes and evolves into an emperor who is a firm person who looks out for the good of the people, and I think this actor would be very capable.)

Spook- Hero Fiennes Tiffin (He's a young guy and when I saw him he reminded me of Spook.)

Ham- Dwayne Johnson (Who else looks better as Ham? Nothing more to say)

Breeze- Mark Ruffalo (When I read how Brandon described him I imagined him like that, I haven't found a better one, and this actor can surprise as a manipulator.)

Clubs- Benedict Wong (I have read this name in the thread and the truth is that it wouldn't be bad at all.)

Marsh- Matt Bomer  (Marsh and Kelsier are brothers so I looked for an actor similar to Henry Cavill and this one looks like him, although he is younger and since Kelsier is the younger brother I think if they switched roles he could be even better.)

Straff Venture- Pierce Brosnan (Who doesn't see him as a dictator who doesn't mind killing his own son?)

Lord Ruther- Benedict Cumberbatch (He voiced Sauron in The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings, I'd love to see him as Lord Ruther, and if not he'd also suit as Sazed.)

Now that I think about it, I would change Henry Cavill for Matt Bomer, Matt seems younger and Kelsier is the younger brother

I think that Tom Holland would be a very good Spook.

And I don't know if this may sound as racist, but we should try to be as close as possible to physical appearance, if not in everything then at least in most.

Edited by Adamkarma

On 1/27/2023 at 0:21 AM, Adamkarma said:

And I don't know if this may sound as racist, but we should try to be as close as possible to physical appearance, if not in everything then at least in most.

Isn't Tom Holland too old to be Spook?

It isn't racist to try to remain faithful to the original content, but IMO is shortsighted. Each character has "core" traits that should be respected (physical or personality-wise) but anything beyond that should be free. For example, Vin's actress should be small, young, and introverted with a witty personality, but I don't care about hair/eye color, skin tan, or facial bone structure (European, Latin-American, Asian, Indian, ...). I even don't remember if the last two options are explicitly mentioned in the books.

The question that I always ask myself is: from my favorite movie/TV shows adaptations from books are the actors precisely as described in the books? In a lot of cases, the answer is no and the difference didn't bother me at all.

@alainesp  i completely agree with yah, but the Tom Holland one.... I don't think an actual 15 year old would work. They must make him at least 18 or something, and the yah Holland would work (he's younger in Spiderman and Chaos walking)

Edited by Adamkarma

• 1 month later...
On 27.01.2023 at 1:21 AM, Adamkarma said:

I agree, I also thought about it, Tom Holland would be very good for this role

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2022 at 10:04 PM, Danyel Gomes said:

Also I think Ben Barnes would be a great Lord Ruler, but since he already looks so much like him in Shadow and Bone, I think it wouldn't work anymore.

Yes, Absolutely 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...