Mistborn Movie Casting

Chaos

On 1/12/2021 at 4:37 AM, IndigoAjah said:

He's too old now. A decade ago, maybe.

I also back Keen, or someone new. I also, however, think having Vin as someone mixed race would carry a lot of thematic significance, especially if they made the World of Scadrial colour blind.

My favourite call for Kel is still Tom Hiddleston, and Marsh is Mark Strong.

We have to save Tom Hiddleston to play Hoid! (to cameo in all cosmere movies but particularly for any stormlight content)

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/3/2022 at 7:16 PM, EmperorDinBoi said:

We have to save Tom Hiddleston to play Hoid! (to cameo in all cosmere movies but particularly for any stormlight content)

On 3/4/2022 at 3:36 PM, Thaidakar the Ghostblood said:

Tom Holland to play Spook. 

Both of these yes! SOOOOOO yes!!!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't know a ton of actors but I'm pretty sure I want Ryan George as Kelsier, and also Ryan George as Vin, plus this one obscure guy named Ryan George as Marsh. To top it off  a controversial hot take with Ryan George being the Lord Ruler. 

So I know castings are flying everywhere but looking at the landscape and the things Brandon has suggested changing I thought I might try casting with some constraints.
 1) A stronger presence of women characters in the main cast(including Brandon's suggested changes such as Ham being a woman)
 2) A diverse cast. This is a post-apocalyptic world consisting of groups of people who both have regional populations but also a lot of mixing between groups across the continent(both voluntary and not). The cast should not be entirely white nor should non-white characters be placed in key but non-leading roles.
 3) This is an adaptation the goal is to get the Soul of the show on the screen. While casting should be internally consistent(amongst family lines, regions, etc) plots/beats will change and general physical traits, as described in the book, need not hold.

Still working on this but wanted to see how others might think about a broader pool of actors than the same ones we've been throwing out for years.

Key Cast-The Final Empire

Vin- Amber Midthunder
Kelsier- Mahershala Ali 
Sazed- Christoph Waltz
Docks-Elliott page (Story remains the same, character could be trans but does not need to be)
Ham- Gwendolyn Christie (Genderswapped but otherwise story is the same, has significant other and child)
Breeze- Matt Berry or if younger(to bring closer in age to Allriane) Harvey Guillen
Clubs- Benedict Wong (aged up a bit but an old soldier doesn't have to be that old)
Spook-?
Elend- Dev Patel
Marsh-  Christopher judge
Straff-Oded Fehr

Lord Ruler-Werner Herzog

Other characters for Final Empire-

Shan-
Yeden-Make Yeden a woman
Demoux-
Camon-
High Prelan-
Reen-
Hoid-

I don't think Tom Holland as Spook would quite work. He's getting too old and popular. Someone like Finn Wolfhard though, could pull it off. Super awkward physically but in a few years of shooting (by the time Hero of Ages wraps) he could have quite the coming of age so to speak.

Also, I just had an interesting idea...if you didn't gender-swap Ham then Alan Richson would be an excellent choice to ply him!

Edited by 1st of Lunch

I guess I'll try this out. I'm usually not very good at these, but we'll see what happens: 

Vin - Amber Midthunder (great choice @handleinthedark) - I haven't seen her work yet, but I think she does a great job of capturing the essence of Vin in her looks. Granted, looks aren't everything for a character. Zoe Robins looks nothing like how I pictured Nynaeve, but I love her in the role all the same. I'll see what Amber has done and see if there's someone who may capture the spirit of Vin better, but for first looks, I like it. (She's also older than I'd prefer for the role, but we can age up the characters.)

Kelsier - Stephen Amell - Outside of me just liking the actor and his role in Arrow, I think Stephen can capture the physical nature of Kelsier, as well as the charming and psychopathic sides to him. He's a little older than Kelsier is, but if we're aging up Vin, then we should probably age up Kelsier. Alternatively, Liam McIntyre would be a solid fit for the role.* If Stephen is still chosen for Kelsier, then Liam should be Marsh.

Marsh - See Liam above.

Dockson - Stephanie Beatriz - Outside of her being a hot commodity due to Encanto, Stephanie can do a great job at switching up her voice and mannerisms to fit a character. I think that would work great with Dockson. He's a conman through and through, and I think someone we need someone who can play a straight man to Kelsier's comedy, which is something Stephanie can do in spades. Rashida Jones may be a potential choice as well. Rashida's character Ann Perkins is hilariously known for being "ethnically ambiguous" in Parks & Rec (Rashida is biracial), so I can see using her to represent a more ethnically diverse Scadrial in a way. 

Breeze - No idea. 

Ham - Julie Estelle - I went for a lesser known and far less beefy actress than most would consider, but I think Julie Estelle is supremely underrated and can pull off a LOT of the physical things we'd want from Ham. She's a little young for the role, but I like her here, nonetheless. If this movie was being made ten years ago (and I had known about her then), she probably would have been my choice for Vin. 

Clubs - Christopher Judge - If the man can't play this role, then he better voice Human!

Elend - I'll go with Charlie Rowe I guess. I have no idea how good or bad of an actor he is, but he's on a list of actors who were almost MCU Spider-Man, and if Tom Holland's name is being thrown around for this role, I feel like that's an important list. Also, the ability to have a beard is important. (I wanted to give this to Dylan O'Brien, but he felt just a tad too old, personally.)

Shan - I'd say an actress who looks like she could be related to Charlie Rowe. I'm not very good with this, so I'd say either Sarah Hyland of Modern Family fame (although she's a tad too old for my liking, if Shan is supposed to be the younger sister) or Natalia Dyer of Stranger Things fame (despite her looking nothing like Charlie Rowe). Maya Hawke, also of Stranger Things fame? (Nah.)

Sazed - Lance Reddick - He's still perfect for the role and we all know it!

Straff Venture - Manu Bennett - I think, while he's a little short for the role, he'd capture the sadism of Straff pretty well without being a jerk about it. We could also make this a Spartacus/Arrowverse reunion

The Lord Ruler - Robert Pattinson? We need someone tall, pale, and handsome. I honestly think that outside of Batman, the history of TLR would make him a character that Pattinson would be interested in playing. 

*Interestingly enough, Stephen and Liam both auditioned for the role of Spartacus in the Starz show of the same name when the main actor of the show, Andy Whitfield, passed away. Liam ended up getting the role and Stephen ended up landing the titular role in Arrow. A few years later, Liam would show up as a villain in The Flash, Arrow's first spin-off show. Several other Spartacus characters would also show up in the Arrowverse.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Waaay late to this one, but I just heard the Shardcast discussing a potential adaptation. Here's my wishlist:

Stephen Fry as Breeze! A younger, Doctor Who era Matt Smith for Elend? 

Di Caprio as Kelsier? I think he can pull off the levity and darkness.

Vin would have to be a younger, upcoming actress, but I hope they go for an Asian. Petite, black hair, incredible fighting skills, alright! 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/20/2011 at 3:03 AM, Foolish Humon said:

Personally I always imagined Vin being like Kate Beckinsale, and I honestly think that if Ellen Page where cast it would ruin the movie.

I could see James McAvoy as Elend, and maybe Nathan Fillion as Ham (not Kelsier), and you guys got me thinking of the Firefly cast so for some reason got me thinking of casting Alan Tudyk as Breeze. XD

Though I do have a few concerns about a movie itself, and how it would be made. Not so much the problem every movie based off a book has that it would be very hard to condense everything into a 2 hr movie, but just issues with portraying things. I don't know if I can talk about them in this topic or if I should just start a new topic, since it doesn't really involve the cast.

I assure you, my dear man, that this "Alan Tudyk" would not portray me very well. You might ask me "Well Breeze, why don't you just play yourself?" I could never! All that acting seems like far too much work.