Theories on Death Rattles

Xiahida

I want to theorize on all the Death Rattles that have no confirmed meaning. Maybe we can theorize on events in book 5

Spoiler

You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me! While the sun is still hot, I die!

This is a reference to how people were killed in the Kharabarath hospitals. Not much use here

Spoiler

Ten orders. We were loved, once. Why have you forsaken us, Almighty! Shard of my soul, where have you gone?

Reminiscing of the old days before the Recreance, and questions where Honour has gone.

Spoiler

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.

This is a spoiler for RoW

Spoiler

I think that this person foresaw Dalinar losing the contest of champions and he is watching humanity being killed while he is on Braize.

Spoiler

I'm cold. Mother, I'm cold. Mother? Why can I still hear the rain? Will it stop?

No idea, theories?

Spoiler

They are aflame. They burn. They bring the darkness when they come, and so all you can see is that their skin is aflame. Burn, burn, burn... 

Humans invading Roshar; the darkness referenced I think is Odium.

Spoiler

He watches! The black piper in the night. He holds us in his palm... playing a tune that no man can hear! 

Not Hoid, maybe an Unmade? One of Hoid's friends perhaps?

Spoiler

Victory! We stand atop the mount! We scatter them before us! Their homes become our dens, their lands are now our farms! And they shall burn, as we once did, in a place that is hollow and forlorn. 

The first Desolation.

Spoiler

They break the land itself! They want it, but in their rage they will destroy it. Like the jealous man burns his rich things rather than let them be taken by his enemies! They come! 

The Fused destroying the land in their attemps to let it be taken. I think the 'Jealous man' line supports this

Spoiler

Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing before a wall of black and white and red. 

The Heralds standing as the Fused attack them. Maybe them defending themself from torture on Braize?

Spoiler

He must pick it up, the fallen title! The tower, the crown, and the spear! 

Kaladin becoming the head of house Kholin after Dalinar Ascends to take up Honour

Spoiler

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us. 

The 'I am broken, and all around me have died' seems like what Kaladin has said before, or it is a prophesy of Odium winning.

Spoiler

I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw. 

The baby theory. In short, Odium chooses a baby as his champion and Dalinar's champion can't kill it.

Spoiler

And all the world was shattered! The rocks trembled with their steps, and the stones reached toward the heavens. We die! We die! 

Maybe a reference to when the Everstorm and a Highstorm collide?

Spoiler

The death is my life, the strength becomes my weakness, the journey has ended. 

Not sure, theories?

Spoiler

The darkness becomes a palace. Let it rule! Let it rule! 

Basically, give Odium your pain

Spoiler

Let me no longer hurt! Let me no longer weep! Dai-gonarthis! The Black Fisher holds my sorrow and consumes it! 

Give Odium your pain; Dia-gonarthis could be an Unmade but I am unsure if he holds your pain.

Spoiler

The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather! 

I'm confused, it seems like a mash of different Rattles. Theories?

Spoiler

Above silence, the illuminating storms—dying storms—illuminate the silence above. 

The silence of Honour and his power (the storms are dying) and stuff is revealing why Honour is silent

Spoiler

So the night will reign, for the choice of honor is life... 

No ideas. Theories

Alright, what do you guys think? Maybe try to quote the specific Death Rattle for simplicity. And sorry about how many there are and any other problems.

Edited by Xiahida

1 hour ago, Xiahida said:

He watches! The black piper in the night. He holds us in his palm... playing a tune that no man can hear! 

Mistborn 

Spoiler

Zane?

Actually, it could be talking about El, or or a sleepless although Hoid does make sense. I'm just trying to think about people who are watching the events unfold. I have no idea about the "playing a tune that no man can hear" unless it's one of the rhythms since humans can't hear those (at least most of the time).

Ten orders. We were loved, once. Why have you forsaken us, Almighty! Shard of my soul, where have you gone?

Reminiscing of the old days before the Recreance, and questions where Honour has gone.

I think the shard of my soul is about Spren bond - this death rattle is from the perspective of a former Radiant who had broken their oath, shortly after Recreance.

56 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

A man stood on a cliffside and watched his homeland fall into dust. The waters surged beneath, so far beneath. And he heard a child crying. They were his own tears.

Hide contents

I think that this person foresaw Dalinar losing the contest of champions and he is watching humanity being killed while he is on Braize.

My theory on that one is that Taravangian will win the contest or make Dalinar break the rules of it. He will kill Dalinar and make him a Fused but this will deadeye the Stormfather, causing endless Weeping (many Death Rattles are about it) which would accidentally flood Kharbranth, and thus Taravangian would break his own deal with Odium, which would expose him to Cultivation, forcing him to withdraw from Roshar. This Death Rattle is from Taravangian's PoV.

59 minutes ago, Xiahida said:

I'm cold. Mother, I'm cold. Mother? Why can I still hear the rain? Will it stop?

No idea, theories?

Reference to the endless Weeping after the Stormfather death in my theory.

Ten people, with Shardblades alight, standing before a wall of black and white and red. 

The Heralds standing as the Fused attack them. Maybe them defending themself from torture on Braize?

I wonder if this isn't about the battle of Thaylen fields? Dalinar counted 9 Radiants (without Venli who is the 10th) standing in front of the Everstorm - the wall of black and white and red.

Light grows so distant. The storm never stops. I am broken, and all around me have died. I weep for the end of all things. He has won. Oh, he has beaten us. 

The 'I am broken, and all around me have died' seems like what Kaladin has said before, or it is a prophesy of Odium winning.

Yes, that again fits to my theory - with Stormfather being dead, there would be no more Highstorms, and no more Stormlight, and thus Odium would "win".

And all the world was shattered! The rocks trembled with their steps, and the stones reached toward the heavens. We die! We die! 

Maybe a reference to when the Everstorm and a Highstorm collide?

I think you might be right.

Not sure, theories?

Inversion of the 1st Ideal, that Radiants can say to break their Oaths - that's what I think happened during Recreance, that's what Shallan did when she broke her bond with the Testament (literally she said words very similar to this one).

Let me no longer hurt! Let me no longer weep! Dai-gonarthis! The Black Fisher holds my sorrow and consumes it! 

Give Odium your pain; Dia-gonarthis could be an Unmade but I am unsure if he holds your pain.

This one makes me think that Moash is under the influence of Dai-gonarthis and that's what makes him emotionless.

The day was ours, but they took it. Stormfather! You cannot have it. The day is ours. They come, rasping, and the lights fail. Oh, Stormfather! 

I think this is again about Stormfather's death per my theory.  Light fail means no Stormlight.

Above silence, the illuminating storms—dying storms—illuminate the silence above. 

The silence of Honour and his power (the storms are dying) and stuff is revealing why Honour is silent

Storms didn't die with Honor, this one fits my theory as well.

No ideas. Theories

Ascension to Honor. To fix the Stormfather someone will need to Ascend to Honor. Again per my theory.

2 hours ago, Xiahida said:

I like the interpretation that this Rattle refers to the Battle of Thaylen Field from the perspective of a Singer. Mainly because of "You cannot have it," Dalinar's oath. The biggest issue is that "lights fail" seems contradictory, since infusing gemstones with Stormlight is how humans won the day, but it could be taken metaphorically to refer to the defeat of Odium or the Unmade.

On 10/27/2023 at 10:06 AM, Xiahida said:

I think that this is referencing Dalinar and his vision with Honor where he saw Kholinar fall into dust, thus literally fulfilling the death Rattles. 

I do like the Stormfather dying theory, but I don't know how well the "it's constantly raining" part fits into it. It might be that the highstorms just stop in one place?

On 10/28/2023 at 2:06 AM, Xiahida said:

Not sure, theories?

RoW spoilers:

Spoiler

Kaladin right before he jumps off Urithiru?

also: 

Spoiler

The Night will reign one is a Baby Theory proponent, Dalinars Champion cannot kill baby because of honor...

Edited by Forts Board

11 hours ago, Aredor said:

I do like the Stormfather dying theory, but I don't know how well the "it's constantly raining" part fits into it. It might be that the highstorms just stop in one place?

I think the death of the Stormfather would stop the Highstorm cycle completely, leaving Roshar in a permanent Weeping period - just constant rain, no Highstorm at all.

But yes, potentially Highstorms can be stopped in one place, just like the Everstorm was stopped by Odium in OB. The Stormfather remarked how Odium is riding the Everstorm, just like Honor used to ride Highstorms. Someone like Honor would be able to stop Highstorm, but if Dalinar tries to he might break, or maybe even deadeye the Stormfather (after all, the Stormfather constantly warns Dalinar not to push him as this hurts him and it might break things Dalinar doesn't understand). I think it's likely that it will be Dalinar who deadeye the Stormfather, after he pushes him too hard, there is some foreshadowing for this idea. RoW ch 107:

We cannot, the Stormfather said. Respect his frailty, and don’t force me on this, Dalinar! You could break things you do not understand, the consequences of which could be catastrophic.

1 minute ago, Forts Board said:

RoW spoilers:

Reveal hidden contents

Kaladin right before he jumps off Urithiru?

Not likely, there is another Death Rattle about this moment:

In the storm I awaken, falling, spinning, grieving.

—Collected on Kakanev 1173, 13 seconds pre-death, by the Silent Gatherers. Subject was a city guardsman.[13]

On 10/29/2023 at 6:58 AM, Forts Board said:

Not sure, theories?

Maybe it is relating to the Recreance, maybe about breaking oaths

I think an Unmade is acting of their own accord and plans to break from Odium or even just do their own thing, some grand scheme in which we are all pawns

Edited by Xiahida
New theory

You've killed me. Bastards, you've killed me! While the sun is still hot, I die!

I'm thinking that this is referencing one of the bridgemen being killed on one of the bridge runs. Dunny maybe?

Pretty self-explanatory, talking about some of the Radiants before the Recreance, noticing that Honor has gone into seclusion as he is dying.

They are aflame. They burn. They bring the darkness when they come, and so all you can see is that their skin is aflame. Burn, burn, burn... 

It could be that this one is about the Dustbringers, or it could be just about how the singers look to someone who is dying. Humans invading Roshar works really well too.

It could be about the extra-tall highstorm in Urithiru in RoW, and how long that lasted. It could be referencing Lift, and her mother. We just don't have much information about this yet. 

I always regarded this as Dai-gontharnis, or one of the other unmade, but it could be referencing Taravangian, with the Diagram trying to control all of Roshar.

This might be an upcoming event, maybe stormlight 5 or 10, the final stand. In Oathbringer, only a few of them actually had shardblades, and so I don't think that is the answer. Watching the Heralds in the Herald flashback books could give the meaning of this as well.

I'm actually thinking this is  Renarin in the back half of Stormlight. The Tower and the Crown are Dalinar's glyphpair, and the spear is very representative of Kaladin/Bridge 4.  Renarin has connections to Bridge 4 and the Kholin princedom, which makes him the perfect person to do this. Picking up the title might be meaning that he has to become Highprince. (But please, Brandon, don't kill Adolin)

This seems very evocative of Kaladin's "I'm broken, Syl" comment that he makes basically every book. I'm thinking that this is the end of SA5, because, as we know that Odium would have to retreat for 1000 years, and the gap between SA5 and SA6 is 10-15 years, then they cannot win in this book. Possibly something referencing the moment of despair before the troops show up. 

I hold the suckling child in my hands, a knife at his throat, and know that all who live wish me to let the blade slip. Spill its blood upon the ground, over my hands, and with it gain us further breath to draw. 

Could this be metaphorical instead of literal? Possibly referencing the Council of Nations, which, as a very young thing, could be called a suckling child. I don't know what else it could be, but I really don't like the baby theory. 

This seems a lot like what Kaladin felt at the end of RoW.

Possibly referencing a really hard decision at the end of a book. The phrasing here is very important, most likely.

On 10/30/2023 at 1:23 PM, Aredor said:

I'm actually thinking this is  Renarin in the back half of Stormlight. The Tower and the Crown are Dalinar's glyphpair, and the spear is very representative of Kaladin/Bridge 4.  Renarin has connections to Bridge 4 and the Kholin princedom, which makes him the perfect person to do this. Picking up the title might be meaning that he has to become Highprince. (But please, Brandon, don't kill Adolin)

Great idea!! Is Adolin the Kholin Highprince? Maybe if he currently is he will step down or gets stranded in Shadesmar and Renarin becomes Highprince?

On 10/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, Xiahida said:

Taravangian revealing the stuff about Dalinar so he can be in charge and bargain with Odium. Maybe some of these have already happened and we just don't know it

6 hours ago, Xiahida said:

Great idea!! Is Adolin the Kholin Highprince? Maybe if he currently is he will step down or gets stranded in Shadesmar and Renarin becomes Highprince?

Yeah, Adolin became Highprince at the end of OB, when Dalinar became king of Urithiru.

• 2 months later...

"He must pick up the fallen title, the Tower, the Crown, the Spear." I think this is speaking of Kaladin becoming king of Heralds. Kaladin becomes new king of Uritheru when Dalinar ascends to Honor, taking Dalinar's Glyph pair and ends up marrying Jasneh since Witt has pretty much doomed their relationship. Also I don't think all the death rattles must come true I think some of them are bound to be either this happens or this happens.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:06 AM, Xiahida said:

Reveal hidden contents

No idea, theories?

I think these two are the same event from two different perspectives. I think both will be about the Night of Sorrows, which will be the outcome of the Contest of Champions. But I also think the first one may be about the destruction of Shinovar. If both are about the Night of Sorrows, then the first one is from the viewpoint of Taravangian as he watches Kharbranth being destroyed. The second one, if it's about Shinovar, is from the perspective of Szeth as a potential Dawnshard (or simply unchecked Surges from...say...and Honorblade or 7?) as he watches Shinovar being destroyed. 

For context, I believe that the Night of Sorrows is an unending Weeping period that will happen once the Highstorms stops sweeping across Roshar, and will result in massive amounts of flooding. 

Kaladin becoming the head of house Kholin after Dalinar Ascends to take up Honour

Isn't Adolin already the head of House Kholin since Dalinar is the King of Urithiru? I do agree that this will have something to do with Kaladin and Dalinar, but my personal theories are getting in the way of what may actually happen. What I want - Kaladin to become Honor, as I feel like that would be a more satisfying ending to his arc in the front half. What this Death Rattle and your interpretation are telling me - Kaladin becomes King of Urithiru. 

I don't think we'll see this in the first half, but I could see this being Renarin's persective if Adolin and Dalinar both die. 

The baby theory. In short, Odium chooses a baby as his champion and Dalinar's champion can't kill it.

Yup, Child Champion theory

Not sure, theories?

Either Moash's ending, or something to do with how to break a Nahel Bond. 

Something to do with the dude at the lighthouse who watches the sea?

On 10/27/2023 at 10:29 AM, alder24 said:

No ideas. Theories

Contest of Champions outcome, Night of Sorrows begins. 

The Tower: This Is Dalinar's Home base, where he has control.

The Crown: Little Gavinor- in direct succession for the throne.

The Spear: Obviously Kaladin.

The Fallen Title: Honor.

Okay it may be stretching it to say that 3 people could jointly hold Honors power, but i think it would be pretty cool .

I disagree with the deadeye stormfather/endless weeping theory, mainly because there are five more books and endless rain seems like a great setting for another full series. It would make sense if it was the end of Roshar, but unless this copies HoA and someone ascends and fixes the world, It feels like a weird direction for the second half to go.

alternative explanations to the death rattles

Kaladin in book five, once again at honor chasm and depressed during a highstorm. 

I like Aredor's idea that this is a lift backstory reference.

This seems like kaladin in RoW; there is a storm and it's also figurative for the constant inner-conflict. Teft is dead, as far as he knows, the tower is about to be corrupted and Odium has defeated him.

I think this might be the shattering of the shattered plains.

This reminds of a quote at the end of WoR where Aladar is talking to Dalinar about how they've won the war of vengance but it feels like they've lost.

Just becuase this has a negative connotation doesn't mean Dalinar loses. the only thing affected by the contest is Dalinars soul. this is referring to something else.

On 10/27/2023 at 12:06 PM, Xiahida said:
Hide contents

I feel like this is either a reference to the Recreance, or to the Skybreaker's specifically, who didn't partake in the Recreance, and have since turned to Odium's side.

ide contents

I have to concur that this one is an everlasting weeping, or even something similar, but not just rain persistently pouring down. Or I guess it could be that something major happens during the weeping. Do we know what month the weeping happens(Is Palah the last month of the Rosharan year? Seems like a coincidoink to me.) The timing just adds up I think.

Hide contents

Victory! We stand atop the mount! We scatter them before us! Their homes become our dens, their lands are now our farms! And they shall burn, as we once did, in a place that is hollow and forlorn. 

I propose that this is from the singer's perspective. Somehow those who serve with Dalinar all get sent to Braize. (Maybe some trickery will occur with the contract.) Or this could be a renewed oathpact(see below).

Hide contents

They break the land itself! They want it, but in their rage they will destroy it. Like the jealous man burns his rich things rather than let them be taken by his enemies! They come! 

Humans burning land behind them as they retreat, breaking the contract and subjecting them all to Braize.

Hide contents

A new oathpact. Heck, it could be Dalinar and 9 other people who become Odium's oathpact and are forced to keep the human's of Roshar penned up on Braize. Or, and this is kind of out there, it's some of those Rosharan  humans who managed to forge a new oathpact while on Braize, and this is a reference to the events of the back 5 where they free themselves.

Hide contents

I think this is the Recreance again, or a new recreance when the humans get kicked to Braize. (I know, I'm really leaning into that theory, but it really feels like these death rattles are implying it.

Hide contents

Obviously the orbits of Roshar and Ashyn align when the endless weeping begins, such that Roshar is "ahead" of Ashyn , but soon falls "behind" (As Ashyn has a shorter orbit that Roshar). Maybe someone is still on Ashyn, even after the exodus (is it that much of a stretch see spoiler below), and they end up being important to freeing the humans stuck on Braize.

AA (Sorta SP4 too) spoilers

Spoiler

People are still on Threnody, after all, and is not exactly easy living there.

Hide contents

Nightwatcher ? At the end of SA10, Odium has been splintered too, or escaped Roshar, leaving Cultivation as the only shard present.

Spoilers for certain snippets of unreleased books not to be named here(for fear of accidently giving away important points)

Spoiler

Spoilers for SP4(kinda) and First of the Sun 2 reading

Spoiler

Cultivation is, in a lot of peoples opinions, not as benevolent as one might think. Thus why Roshar is even bothering colonizing other planets and racing against Scadrial. (Plus Cultivation fits the sort of white savior mindset a lot of colonizers have).

Obviously these are pretty wild guesses, and honestly, it's a really dark outlook, so please poke holes in it. Just be nice, I haven't done real theorycrafting in a while.

On 2/1/2024 at 4:59 PM, Lego Mistborn said:
On 10/27/2023 at 11:06 AM, Xiahida said:

I think this could refer to Honor Honor's life was put into the spren and the heralds his strength was his kindness to humans and honoring his agreements which caused odium to splinter him and his journey ends when he is finally splintered.

• 2 weeks later...

Hide contents

So this theory IS interesting, but what about the fact that certain individuals went around Roshar killing young Radiants before they could manifest powers in an attempt to halt the return of the Desolations. Perhaps this rattle is as simple as that?

• 3 weeks later...

No ideas. Theories

This is interesting, because if you take into account various other theories, then it has some huge implications.

1. Theory 1: Kal becomes Honor

This one is a big theory. I'm sure I don't need to refresh anyone on this. But if this is true, then that could mean that the 'honor' mentioned is actually 'Honor' as Kal.

2. Theory 2: The Windrunners' 5th Oath

There has been a lot of speculation on what the 5th Oath of various Orders is, and people tend to focus on the Windrunners. There have been a lot of theories, but one that stands out is that it will have something to do with Kal saving himself rather than having a heroes sacrifice. 'The choice of Honor is life.'

3. Theory 3: The good guys lose 

Don't need to explain it, but if this whole mishmash of theories is correct, that would mean that Kal's decision to save himself is what leads to them losing.

So how does this all come together? Well, here's my Theory. Kaladin wants to sacrifice himself for somebody- mb his brother Adolin- but he can't because he swears his 5th Oath, saving himself to fight another day, reforming Honor in the process(another Theory altogether). But the one he didn't save was somehow a key to the battle and is what causes the turn of the tide, making them lose. Because Honor chose life over sacrifice. 

Spoiler

I think this one may actually refer to Ashyn. If you've read the excerpt from The Silence Divine, the storms would be the fire. They are "above" the floating city from the cities perspective, but the cities are also above the fires since the cities are upside down.