Alendi’s Descendants?

jerps

I’m working on a backstory for a Mistborn D&D character. I was thinking it would be cool if she lived in the time appx 100 years after Rashek’s ascension. Iirc That was when Mistborn really started appearing, and they were much more powerful then. I then thought it would be interesting if she was a descendant of Alendi. Has it ever been said if he had children before he died? Is there any info out there on this time period?

sorry if it’s been asked before, I’m afraid of searching/browsing too much until I finish Rhythm of War!

5 hours ago, jerps said:

I’m working on a backstory for a Mistborn D&D character. I was thinking it would be cool if she lived in the time appx 100 years after Rashek’s ascension. Iirc That was when Mistborn really started appearing, and they were much more powerful then. I then thought it would be interesting if she was a descendant of Alendi. Has it ever been said if he had children before he died? Is there any info out there on this time period?

sorry if it’s been asked before, I’m afraid of searching/browsing too much until I finish Rhythm of War!

There is no known information on if Alendi had children. In the First Century TFE, Rashek was still trying to unite the continent. Coppermind:

Spoiler

During his first months in Khlennium, Alendi met the Worldbringer Kwaan and became his assistant for an unknown time.[12] A couple of years later, Kwaan slowly became convinced that Alendi fit the Terris prophecies and must be the Hero of Ages.[13] Initially the other Worldbringers met Kwaan with scorn when he announced this[14] but after a while even the other Worldbringers became convinced that Alendi must be the Hero of Ages,[15] as Alendi fueled these rumors to persuade the world of his cause,[16] and Ruin slightly altered the prophecies to fit Alendi.[17]

At some point in time Alendi became king of Khlennium,[8] possibly by marrying the previous king's daughter.[18] Under the growing threat of the Deepness, Alendi united several nations (including Terris),[19] some by diplomacy,[20] and others by conquering them.[21] Except for a few dissenters, Alendi was able to create a general unity on Scadrial under reign of Khlennium.[20]

The Lord Ruler began his conquest by finding leaders who were amicable to making him emperor of the world, and secured their support by giving them beads of lerasium, which turned them into Mistborn.[47] He also used the koloss as unstoppable monsters destroying cities weakened by the Deepness. Ultimately, it took him around two centuries to conquer the whole world, although some religions resisted him until five centuries after his Ascension. Rashek established his capital at the city of Luthadel, built over the Well of Ascension.

5 hours ago, The Sibling said:

If you go on the copper mind you can change the settings so you don't get spoiled

It's called the Time Machine, and when you first go to the Coppermind it should give a pop-up asking if you want to use it to revert any page(s) to before a book's release.It should also be available from the yellow/gold info box at the top of each page.

8 hours ago, jerps said:

He did marry the daughter of a king of Khlennium, and spent a decade leading armies and uniting Scadrial, so I think it's very likely he had kids.

WoA epigraphs ch 9&21:

But, let me begin at the beginning. I met Alendi first in Khlennium; he was a young lad then, and had not yet been warped by a decade spent leading armies.

He was born of a humble family, yet married the daughter of a king.

He was also a natural, but very weak Seeker, strengthened by a Hemalurgic spike giving him more powerful A-bronze - however his power came from Mist snapping, and thus was very, very weak, much weaker than Misting from Vin's period, because those were strengthened by Lerasium beads given to kings by Rashek.

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

Also, as a note, Alendi was an Allomancer, as the epigraph notes here. He had to be—he heard the pulsing at the Well of Ascension when nobody else could. "Ah," you might say, "but I thought that you said Allomancy didn't exist before those beads." That isn't 100% true. The legends say that Allomancy came with the Deepness. Alendi was one of the very first Allomancers, and he gained his powers as the mists began to cover the world.

That's important. ;)

Because, of course, he was Snapped by the mists, like is happening to people in this book.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Feb. 23, 2010)

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

The Sliding Scale of Allomantic Potential

Noblemen, despite what Spook says in this chapter, are not immune to the mistsickness. The rumor Spook is referencing does have merit, however. You see, since the mists are Snapping people and awakening the Allomantic potential within them, it will affect far fewer noblemen than skaa. Why? Because a lot of the noblemen have already Snapped. They were beaten as children to bring out the powers.

However, that won't stop all of them from being affected by the mistsickness, because the mistsickness is also awakening Allomantic potential that would otherwise be too subtle to be brought out. Pretend there's a sliding scale of Allomantic potential. 100% means you're an Allomancer—in this series, only two people have hit 100%—Vin and Elend. Buried within a lot of people, however, is enough of a touch of Preservation's power to hit, say, 50% on the relative scale of Allomantic power. These people, when beaten and made to pass through something traumatic, awaken to their Allomantic abilities.

There are a lot of people out there, however, with something more like 20% to 30%. These are the people the mists are Snapping—since the mists are, themselves, partially the power of Preservation, they can touch people and increase their Allomantic potential slightly and then bring it to the forefront.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (Dec. 29, 2009)

Spoiler

Brandon Sanderson

Chapter Seventy

The Reason for the Mistsickness

So, it finally comes out. I wonder at this numbers plot, as I think many readers will glaze over it and ignore it. I think others will read into it and figure out what it means very quickly, then feel that the reveal here isn't much of a revelation. Hopefully I'll get a majority in the middle who read the clues, don't know what they mean, but are happily surprised when it comes together. That's a difficult line to walk sometimes.

What is going on here is that the mists are awakening the Allomantic potential inside of people. It's very rough on a person for that to come out, and can cause death. Preservation set this all up before he gave his consciousness to imprison Ruin, so it's not a perfect system. It's like a machine left behind by its creator. The catalyst is the return of the power to the Well of Ascension. As soon as that power becomes full, it sets the mists to begin Snapping those who have the potential for Allomancy buried within them.

Many of these people won't be very strong Allomancers. Their abilities were buried too deeply to have come out without the mists' intervention. Others will have a more typical level of power; they might have Snapped earlier, had they gone through enough anguish to bring the power out.

My idea on this is that Allomantic potential is a little like a supersaturated solution. You can suspend a great deal of something like sugar in a liquid when it is hot, then cool it down and the sugar remains suspended. Drop one bit of sugar in there as a catalyst, however, and the rest will fall out as a precipitate.

Allomancy is the same. It's in there, but it takes a reaction—in this case, physical anguish—to trigger it and bring it out. That's because the Allomantic power comes from the extra bit of Preservation inside of humans, that same extra bit that gives us free will. This bit is trapped between the opposing forces of Preservation and Ruin, and to come out and allow it the power to access metals and draw forth energy, it needs to fight its way through the piece of Ruin that is also there inside.

As has been established, Ruin's control over creatures—and, indeed, an Allomancer's control over them—grows weaker when that creature is going through some extreme emotions. (Like the koloss blood frenzy.) This has to do with the relationship between the Cognitive Realm, the Physical Realm, and the Spiritual Realm—of which I don't have time to speak right now.

Suffice it to say that there are people who have Snapped because of intense joy or other emotions. It just doesn't happen as frequently and is more difficult to control.

The Hero of Ages Annotations (March 30, 2010)

Unfortunately I highly doubt Rashek after Ascension allowed his family to live, as they were a direct threat to his claims and a reminder of a "legitimate" Hero of the Ages. I bet one of the first things he would do is to kill them to remove any association to the previous ruler of Khlennium and Alendi, as they would be one of the fiercest opposition against his claims of being the true Hero of the Ages. I'm almost certain he would never give Lerasium beads to members of Alendi's family and thus any surviving descendants would not become either Mistborn nor even Mistings, as without Mist Snapping, their Allomantic potential would be too weak to be awakened.

But that's your story. You can easily say that one of his kids survived the slaughter of Alendi's family and had a secret romance with one of childrens of bribed kings, from which your character, now having strong Allomantic genes, was born. Of course they would have to hide and conceal their true identity fearing Rashek.

8 hours ago, jerps said:

As mentioned previously, the Time Machine allows you to avoid RoW spoilers entirely, but you can safely read any Mistborn Era 1 articles on Coppermind. Alendi page contains information from the original trilogy, plus just a few WoBs and that's it. You can also read epigraphs from Era 1 books (especially TFE and WoA as they talk directly about Alendi), or WoB annotations for more information.