Quick Fix Game 68: Devil Has Come To Carry Me Home

Kasimir

16 minutes ago, Experience said:

Okay, well.

I scanned Sart and it came back saying he killed someone. Couldn't be the gun because he used it last cycle, so that means it had to be the elim kill.

I'm guessing a Sart/TKN or Sart/Raven team. The first seems more likely.

Sart

I'll play devil's advocate, Sart theoretically could have rolled the gun twice, but it is rather unlikely. 

I'll join the Sart train unless he provides some pretty solid evidence to the contrary. 

1 hour ago, Experience said:

Okay, well.

I scanned Sart and it came back saying he killed someone. Couldn't be the gun because he used it last cycle, so that means it had to be the elim kill.

I'm guessing a Sart/TKN or Sart/Raven team. The first seems more likely.

Sart

That's a blatant lie. I'm guessing this is LyLo. Experience. This probably means that the bad guys have the gun this round. In retrospect, I should have killed who I thought was evil instead of the person I thought was protecting them.

5 hours ago, Sart said:

That's a blatant lie. I'm guessing this is LyLo. Experience. This probably means that the bad guys have the gun this round. In retrospect, I should have killed who I thought was evil instead of the person I thought was protecting them.

It honestly seems like this is more of a blatant lie than anything else. Sart.

2 hours ago, Ravenclawjedi42 said:

It honestly seems like this is more of a blatant lie than anything else. Sart.

I'll be proven right when the game ends. Consider the facts. Why would I submit the kill while under the most suspicion? Why did Experience not identify who I shot? Why would the GM put a player with an extra life on the evil team when no other villager has had any special powers? Why is the lookout claiming now, even though I was already the most suspicious person? This doesn't make sense.

4 minutes ago, The Known Novel said:

I can't really answer the rest of your questions, but Lookouts can't see the targets of actions. 

Huh. Didn't know that. Usually actions scanners can see who they targeted. @Kasimir can we get clarification on that?

Unless... Are you the real Lookout? If you are, that's an easy Counter Claim. In a game with only 10 players, 5 of whom were vanilla, do you really believe there's two Scanners? That seems like a stretch to me.

Edit: Also, I'm going to be really mad if on Day 2 the only people who voted were me and the two elims.

Edited by Sart

4 hours ago, Sart said:

Huh. Didn't know that. Usually actions scanners can see who they targeted. @Kasimir can we get clarification on that?

No targets, only the type of action taken. If player takes multiple actions, then all are mentioned, e.g. an Elim who uses the gun and the kill would be reflected as having taken two kill actions.

Edited by Kasimir

Aftermath: The Cards Fall

“Well,” pronounced Warn, stepping before the ragged remnants of the Band. “What do you have for me?”

Lark and Mud both pointed at each other. “I saw him killing,” Mud stated, while Lark snarled, “Lawman lies.”

The remaining members of the Band looked at each other. Doug’s gaze was downcast, and he said nothing. Kern supposed the events of the past days had taken their toll on him. Danji, meanwhile, didn’t remotely hesitate. “Makes sense to me,” Danji stated. “Always thought there was something weird about Lark executing Violet just like that.”

“I think Lark is the liar here,” Rajib echoed, looking down at Warn’s Sterrion. Was it their imagination or was there still a hint of acrid gunsmoke, lingering in the air? “It’s the more likely situation. You’re grasping at straws, Lark.”

Still, Rajib levelled the Sterrion at Mud. “Nevertheless, I think it’s best we take precautions.”

Two guns went off at the same time.

Lark collapsed like a wet rag. This time, Warn did not stop at the first shot. It was harder to kill one of the koloss-blooded, after all. Blood leaked from his wounds.

“You…fools…” Lark coughed, and then fell silent.

Rajib gaped.

And then collapsed, as a rush of blood spilled out from multiple wounds they had taken.

“Rusts,” said Mud, crossly. “I hate getting shot.”

“Better you than me,” Danji grunted. A fan of metal-edged playing cards spread themselves out before him, still stained with Rajib’s blood.

Mud looked over at Warn. “Be a good time to surrender now, Warn,” he said, crisply. “You’ve run out of supporters—and rope.”

“Alternatively,” Danji said, adjusting the slanting brim of his hat, “There’s always the chainsaw of justice.” He gestured to the spread of cards. “Do you play?”

“Do you mind?” Mud grunted. “It’s not as easy to hold them steady as you think.”

“Oh, so suddenly you’re the one doing the work even though I’ve got to push on them.”

Warn smiled. A twist of the lip, nothing more. Something foreboding glinted in his eyes. “So, you think you’ve got me cornered, is that it?” He levelled the Sterrion at Danji, and palmed a ceramic throwing knife in the other hand. “I don’t think so.”

Behind him, Kern rose, dusting off his arms.

“Shame,” said Mud.

“So, do you feel lucky?” Warn snarled. “Because I guarantee you, I’ll put a bullet through you before you can do much with that toy of yours.”

Mud tilted his head. “Why yes,” he said. “Actually, I do.”

Kern snapped an arm across Warn’s throat and plunged the throwing knife into Warn’s back. The Sterrion went off, but Warn’s aim was gone and the bullet was lodged somewhere in the ceiling of the hideout, while Warn’d not managed to flick the knife at all.

“See,” Mud said. “The way I see it, there’s three of us. And only one of you.”

“Spoilsport,” Danji muttered, grouchily.

Kade shrugged. “You mulched enough outlaws with your chainsaw of justice. Besides, you know it’s hard to outdraw Warn.”

Sart (4): Experience, PyroPhile, Ravenclawjedi42, The Known Novel
Experience (1): Sart

Lark / @Sart was executed. He was a Koloss-Blooded Scoundrel

Rajib Urbain / @Ravenclawjedi42 was killed! They were a Scoundrel!

Mud / @Experience was attacked but survived!

The Lawmen ( @Experience, @The Known Novel ) have won! (Sart did tell you so :P ) ggwp.

Dossiers:

Player List:

Spoiler

1. Matrim's Dice Scoundrel
2. Fifth Scholar - Adze, best shot in the Band Scoundrel
3. @Experience - Mud, a Lurcher (RIP)
4. @The Known Novel - Danji, a dirt-poor Coinshot
5. The Wandering Wizard - ???, an unnamed Aboleth cultist. Scoundrel
6. JNV Scoundrel
7. Ravenclawjedi42 - Rajib Urbain, recent refugee from the Set Scoundrel
8. @PyroPhile - The Doug
9. Sart - Lark Koloss-Blooded
10. Violet - Scoundrel

Sart MVP and I’m bad, that’s pretty much it :P. I made a quick read and didn’t rethink, also pretty hard for me to analyze with two pages and the only person telling to rethink being my vote but that’s a me problem.

I knew my logic was good though :P. Totally would have worked.

After-Action Report

(Look imma do this now before I forget.)

• Low Activity

I'll accept that this is a QF, but the pace of voting and interest in the thread seemed non-existent. As usual, this penalises the Village more than it does the Elims. It also made control kills way more effective, as seen from Fifth and Mat getting shanked respectively. Mat flagged he had difficulty doing analysis when there was nothing to bounce off, and Sart noted this as well as he tried to get discussion going. I don't feel there's a simple cure for this and I've been in their position complaining about inactivity for the last five games or so. But as a GM, I do have to flag this was way more quiet than even a QF normally is, with outsized impacts on the Village.

I'll just say, again, resignedly, that if this isn't fixed, it's going to be a turn-off for players, probably.

• Distro

I think in general, I'm okay with the distro. I have considered if the Village could use an additional Koloss-Blooded but feel that this probably seemed insufficient because Pyro was the second Village KB and practically no one was interested in flipping Pyro. So I'm 50/50 about this. E.g. if Fifth or Mat had been KB, this would have been a really different game. The counterpoint is that it's difficult to tell when doing the distro if Pyro would or wouldn't have been a player people tried to flip.

Not giving the Village any Lookouts is a slightly spicy choice, but I didn't feel too comfortable with it given it seemed the Village was more likely to retain possession of the gun for most of the game. Granted, the Lookout is a very weak scan, but scan + vig kill is often a tad too much for any team. I think in retrospect, one Village Lookout to oppose the Elim Lookout would really have been fine.

I think I should've just bitten the bullet and allowed a new player team to prevent overmetagaming of my distro. Fortunately, no one was interested in following up on Mat, and TKN had a vested self-interest in quashing it. At the same time, this is a game with a predominant new player population, so there's that as well. Given who the KBs were, I think it really wouldn't have been the worst to have gone for a mixed team after all.

In general as well, I'm cool with one KB and one Lookout/Lawman. Since TKN never sent in an action, he was functionally a glorified regular. What's more important here is I felt three Elims was a bit much as it gave them quite a bit more voting power (especially looking at train sizes/activity here, and that'd put them just under half of existing voting power - 7/3 is a Lot) and set the overparity threshold a bit higher than I liked, given the potential for Village collateral damage. A KB is a nice split there as the extra life doesn't entail an extra vote, but allows them to soak a bit of extra damage to reduce volatility.

That's about it for me. It wasn't an especially complex game, thankfully, so I didn't have too much to say.

6 minutes ago, Kasimir said:

I'll just say, again, resignedly, that if this isn't fixed, it's going to be a turn-off for players, probably.

It is a big turn off for me. I get more exhausted playing a low active game than a hyperactive one. I’d rather have another QF50 :P 

2 minutes ago, Matrim's Dice said:

It is a big turn off for me. I get more exhausted playing a low active game than a hyperactive one. I’d rather have another QF50 :P 

Yeah, same. I think I've said it in other games as a player - I don't expect hyperposting, I do expect engagement.

It’s refreshing to be C1ed :D I do think this game can/should be rerun at higher player count to get a better idea of how the rotating kill and extra lives would play out without a distro that was pretty much mandatory :P Thanks to Kas for running, as always, and for all the newbies who gave it their best. Raven in particular nearly saved it for us :) 

Loving the irony of this line Sart:

15 hours ago, Sart said:

I'll be proven right when the game ends. Consider the facts. Why would I submit the kill while under the most suspicion? Why did Experience not identify who I shot? Why would the GM put a player with an extra life on the evil team when no other villager has had any special powers? Why is the lookout claiming now, even though I was already the most suspicious person? This doesn't make sense.

Correct end result, incorrect logic.

Good game everyone, it's good to be e again and flex my murderous muscles. Inactivity was certainly a problem especially with control-killing-e!me. Unfortunately I wasn't too active either, probably need to take a break until sports calm down.

Great job to Exp for doing the majority of the heavy lifting while I made quips in the corner, thank you to @Kasimir for running it, to @Araris Valerian for IMing, and to the Mighty Gods of Luck and Chance for tipping the Gun into our hands.

Thank you kas for making me elim >:)

GG TKN we crushed it.

I still don't know how I convinced mat I was village but I'll take it.

I will admit that I decided to post less only because I was elim and it was better for us to not have the conversation running. Higher activity would have made the game more enjoyable though I think.

28 minutes ago, Experience said:

I still don't know how I convinced mat I was village but I'll take it.

Just that reads list post where you kept voting me even though the post itself didn't necessarily support that I didn't think came from an elim mindset. It only was so strong of a read because it was basically the only read I had; no one else had enough content (other than Sart, who I'm so bad at reading correctly I shouldn't even try).