Spike Farms, Economics, and Harmony

Mistdork

So, today's crazy topic is based on creating a Spike Farm that would work economically based on Feruchemical gold/Allomantic gold mining of Allomantic and Feruchemic (or any power you want, if you breed people correctly, want unlimited Breath? JUST FARM IT!) powers using Hemalurgic spikes! The classic "power farm" scenario, but one that considers the economic effects of such farming could have on [future] Scadrial and how one could do it without "upsetting the balance". The discussion is based on the discussion in this topic here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/14995-goodreads-qa/page-5#entry169867

And is particularly based on Moogle's last post (quoted for your convenience!)

In response to all the spike farmers awesome people talking about infinite power using Hemalurgy and such things: No matter what though, Hemalurgy seems like it would be painful (even when you don't kill the person), and I'm certain that there would be many who would think that creating a farm would be...immoral, to the say the least. Also, considering Harmony's Intent, I think that out-of-control spiking might cause him to send someone to restore the harmony, so...despite that Hemalurgy could be consider OP, so the biggest deterrent for theoretical spike farms might (possibly) be Sazed.  :P

Miles no longer felt pain. Spiking him would only be a minor inconvenience for him, and he could be compensated for his time.

(Or, I mean, instead of executing him they could have harvested spikes from him unwillingly. It would end up saving more lives.)

Harmony's stated ideology is to allow people to have as much choice as possible, and allowing those born without Allomancy to gain it through hard work (ie. paying loads of cash) seems right up his alley.

You'd just have to make sure you don't torture people (Sazed might have issues there) and let economics decide how many spikes exist. A down-on-his-luck Coinshot could just visit his local Hemalurgy store and sign up to be a donor, get spiked a few times and then given a huge paycheck. (Maybe less of a paycheck if he has to pay for his own Feruchemical gold/Allomantic gold spike, but then he'd still be up.)

Sazed still doesn't seem quite willing to stop pain and suffering, though. The Set seems to have successfully taken a number of women hostage who will be used as brood mares. You'd think Sazed would be intervening around that point, but it doesn't seem he has except for the barest exertion of power teleporting Wax some guns (which he may or may not have even done). You also wouldn't expect someone holding Ruin to be very focused on stopping pain and destruction...

This is probably a conversation for a different thread, though. I enjoy Hemalurgy discussions.

As you can see, Moogle threatened to Spike me if I didn't make topic convinced me to start this topic to continue this discussion here. So, here you go guys! Have fun Spiking! :D

To stop people with pesky morals the 'farms' could gather participants by stopping at the local prison and taking those who are there on a long term basis. They wouldn't need to be paid with money but with reduced sentences.

As for using Allomantic gold/Feruchemical gold would the person being spiked need to be Miles level ( able to heal subconsciously before they started getting Spiked? Or is that not a factor?

Word of Brandon.

Spike farms aren't possible, you cannot "heal" back something stolen from you via hemalurgy.

EDIT: Even with Miles's specific super subconscious healing, hemalurgic theft would prolly prove fatal. There is simply no way a "spike farm" could work.

Edited by Outis

It's rather unfortunate that Goodreads doesn't let you expand Comments if you're not a member, but here's the entirety of what you just linked to:

Source:

Kurkistan:
Could Miles heal back his Allomancy if it was spiked out of him?

Brandon Sanderson:
No, he could not. He would no longer be an Allomancer. Also, he'd probably be dead. :)

Kurkistan:
Thanks!

I'd thought maybe he could just do some super-tapping from his existing Health in his goldminds (since he'd still have his Feruchemy)... 

Brandon Sanderson:
Oh, I see what you're asking. Using Feruchemy to heal the removed portion of soul. That's actually plausible, not so different from healing other kinds of soul-wounds. If he survived, then yes, this actually might work. (That's why I get for reading the questions so quickly.)

Kurkistan:
Thank you! :D

*Now to create a society of infinite Compounding Feruchemists/Allomancers/Hemalurgists in the Mistborn Adventure Game...*

Assuming when Miles heals the damage to his soul, that it repairs it with allomancy still possible. Though I guess that's likely, if it's in his sDNA, there is no reason to me that when his soul is repaired, it repairs it the way he was born.

Just thinking of a spike farm leads me to Sazed intervening. Which could mean Marsh coming in and ending it all....and taking the left over spikes for himself.

But the problem is once you make it an establishment/buisness then people want to create legislature regarding it. One minute you have a nice, simple Spike farm, then next you're paying a spike tax and getting fined for not using proper restraining systems and unsanitary spikes.

Assuming when Miles heals the damage to his soul, that it repairs it with allomancy still possible. Though I guess that's likely, if it's in his sDNA, there is no reason to me that when his soul is repaired, it repairs it the way he was born.

Question:  Isn't identity related to your sDNA?  If so, spiking, which rips out  a piece of your sDNA would change your identity.  So in the above case, if Miles was spiked, he would be unable to draw on his Feruchemical gold.   In this case, you would need a reserve that is not connected to identity.

Question:  Isn't identity related to your sDNA?  If so, spiking, which rips out  a piece of your sDNA would change your identity.  So in the above case, if Miles was spiked, he would be unable to draw on his Feruchemical gold.   In this case, you would need a reserve that is not connected to identity.

Identity may or may not be related to your sDNA. In any case, we know Miles would be fine via WoB:

Kurkistan:

Could Miles heal back his Allomancy if it was spiked out of him?

Brandon Sanderson:
No, he could not. He would no longer be an Allomancer. Also, he'd probably be dead.  :)

Kurkistan:
Thanks!

I'd thought maybe he could just do some super-tapping from his existing Health in his goldminds (since he'd still have his Feruchemy)... 

Brandon Sanderson:
Oh, I see what you're asking. Using Feruchemy to heal the removed portion of soul. That's actually plausible, not so different from healing other kinds of soul-wounds. If he survived, then yes, this actually might work. (That's why I get for reading the questions so quickly.)

Kurkistan:
Thank you!  :D

*Now to create a society of infinite Compounding Feruchemists/Allomancers/Hemalurgists in the Mistborn Adventure Game...*
Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic