Jobs/School

Tien'sPetLurg

Loving the engineering genes, maxal and Tien's!  My dad is a chemical engineer.  Maybe it's just skipped a generation and my kids (still non-existent) will be more fortunate. ;)  

Engineers are the nicest persons around B) Engineering faculty is just the best. You get there, you see people, you go see them and say "Hi. I want to be your friend" and people will answer "Cool. Do you want a beer?"  :ph34r:  :D  My friends experiences in other faculties have been somewhat different :(

And we have a cool theme (drinking :ph34r: ) song........... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I run a small company that does training and deployment work in schools for Google for Education on the one hand, and on the other do business intelligence work for retail and healthcare.

Workshop tours and training events means I'm traveling most times, but when home, I work from home so I can spend more time in the kitchen. I wish I can say my job is a cook, because I am most comfortable when concocting new recipes.

I would agree with most people here on education and software development. They rock.

My husband enjoyed teaching but went into business for himself instead. Our business is kind of boring but it allows us to do things we are passionate about. Our nonprofit does nice things for families with special needs children. I have a blast making those folks happy. I sort of feel like Santa or Oprah for a few minutes then return to my average life.
unikittybanner.png

Our business is kind of boring but it allows us to do things we are passionate about.

Honestly, if you make ends meet, that's all that counts. I know how drained I feel after several days in which work was slow (I like my job, so when I am in the office and there is no work, it gets dull...) and I've had nothing good to read, or watch, or play. Going in such a state for a longer period of time would not make a happy panda.

Engineers are the nicest persons around B) Engineering faculty is just the best. You get there, you see people, you go see them and say "Hi. I want to be your friend" and people will answer "Cool. Do you want a beer?"  :ph34r:  :D  My friends experiences in other faculties have been somewhat different :(

And we have a cool theme (drinking :ph34r: ) song........... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Never, the science faculty will reign supreme! :P

Never, the science faculty will reign supreme! :P

Now, now. Play nice, children, we are all scientists here, some more hands-on, some more interested in theory. The important part is that we are all united in our superiority over the Humanities and Fake Social Science department(s) :P

Edited by Argent

Honestly, if you make ends meet, that's all that counts. I know how drained I feel after several days in which work was slow (I like my job, so when I am in the office and there is no work, it gets dull...) and I've had nothing good to read, or watch, or play. Going in such a state for a longer period of time would not make a happy panda.

Yeah, financial security is nice. It's also VERY easy to form a love-hate relationship with software development, i would assume many other careers are similar.

Sometimes I create havoc in the technological plane by nudging the moon out of orbit.

So that day my work computer literally stopped working for almost three days without anyone being able to provide a satisfactory answer was your fault? :angry: :angry: :angry:

So that day my work computer literally stopped working for almost three days without anyone being able to provide a satisfactory answer was your fault? :angry: :angry: :angry:

Ooh, Fatebreaker... you just become an unpopular fellow it seems. :P

I'd run away as fast as I could if I were you.

Pinkie_Pie_running_as_a_chicken_S02E04.p

Well, I actually don't have corporal form right now, so it's not an issue. And I confess to nothing, there's lots of reasons that the moon might move. There's major lunar shifts that occur completely naturally, and don't require an ancient mask of power... 

Phew! I'm relieved. I was thinking you were in adult entertainment or working for some government. *shudder*

I might be evil, but I'm not despicable.

Chaotic Ancients have standards too ya know.

Edited by Fatebreaker

This is really interesting. I would expect readers - especially readers of fantasy - to be more humanities-inclined, but it looks like most people here are involved in the sciences one way or another. I suppose Brandon's work is more scientifically-based fantasy. Or maybe that's got nothing to do with it. Whaddaya know :)

This is really interesting. I would expect readers - especially readers of fantasy - to be more humanities-inclined, but it looks like most people here are involved in the sciences one way or another. I suppose Brandon's work is more scientifically-based fantasy. Or maybe that's got nothing to do with it. Whaddaya know :)

I always assumed people in the humanities would either not read (as has been my experience with most of them), or read the "classics" - in which category I throw all the real classics, as well as non-SFF books that become famous for some odd reason. In other words, books in the sub-700 page range.

It also might be that people like engineers and computer scientists often spend their days in front of a computer with an internet connection. ;)

Actually, fantasy is quite popular in the science faculties...  We spend all of our days in front of computers, coding, writing equations and dealing with the abstract conception of real things: it may be we like to evade ourselves during our free-time and let our imagination run free. I know this is the case for me :) I have always liked those stories, even as a kid, even before I knew it was a genre and that I was not supposed to like it :unsure:

Also, fantasy has often been associated to geeks of all sort and well, you know, geeks usually end up in the physic department or the engineering faculty :ph34r: ..... think A Big Bang Theory here :ph34r:   There is absolutely nothing with being a self-alleged geek, however I do feel many people in other faculties may be carrying a negative view of fantasy, qualifying of poor writing unworthy of reading  :(  I have often heard that one as well even if things are currently changing.

Truth is, science people generally just don't care if a book is a classic or if the author has won a price or if the prose is elevated to a certain level: we tend to care if the story is good and compelling, period. People in other field may have other criteria when choosing their books. For example, I knew this guy who would only watch movies made by specific individual as they were the only ones able to produce what he qualified decent movies.............. I have always found his choice of supposed excellent movies was quite boring (soporific) :ph34r: , but as I said, I was not interested in the same aspect of said-movie.

I for one is not surprised to see many people from the wonderful world of engineering and computer science on the forum.